Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 chevy running issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotoman53, Jun 4, 2013.

1. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

I left a show and on the way home my truck started stuttering and died. when i pulled over it started right back up. Ran a little farther and it did it again. I taled to a buddy and he said change the fuel filterdid that never had a chance to run it, because my points and coil went out.when I bought the new coil I bought a 12v because mine is 12V. The one that was in there was 6v. Well started driving down freeway and it starts the same stuff drives for a little and stutters and dies. Now replaced distributor and my points melted. Any Ideas on what the heck is happening here? Thanks

2. sierra-steve

sierra-steve
    from Reno, NV

Do you have a Ballast Resistor in the circuit? Lack of one usually burns points.

3. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

[​IMG]

Did you check your coil ballast?

4. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

Are you talking about the little cylinder inside my distrubtor that mate up with my points?

5. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

But a new on cam with new distrubitor. I also purchased a new one for my last distrubitor. I have never seen that coil ballast any where.

6. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

It's usually mounted up on your fire wall

7. Points don't like the full 12 volts. Why not post a picture so these guys can see what you have. Then they will fix it for you.

8. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

There's nothing on the fire wall my coil goes straight to distributor unless it on positive side. I hear you can swap the distrubitor with one from a Chevy 250 motor with little MOD. I look for that I'm probably gonna just go back to 6v coil.

9. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

Dont know how to upload Pic.

10. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Ignition wire from your ignition switch goes to one of the ballast posts. The other wire off the ballast should go to the positive post on your coil.

11. heinz51

heinz51

NO, that's a condenser ballast is the white ceramic piece, anyway, sounds like a fuel problem to me

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  12. skyblue50

skyblue50

Are you using the stock gas tank and fuel lines? There is a hose in line that is between the shut off and the fuel line under the cab. Sounds like a problem I had with my '50 half ton. The hose delaminated on the inside and would collapse when fuel was being pumped out, motor dies, hose relaxes and engine restarts, repeat.

13. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

Ya I'm still running same tank and fuel line.

14. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

I'm gonna have to change that are you talking about the one straight from tank to valve to pump?