Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built 1929 Roadster body sheeting structure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cryptkepper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

Nice Job Cryptkeeper...Where are you in Louisiana ?? I'm down south..
    <DD id=signature> </DD>

2. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

I'm in Slidell. you are where Homa. Morgan city?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

I'm in Lockport,,I'm good friends with Ronnie over at hillside streetrods..He's up your way... Might have to stop by one day..

4. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Sounds good. I haven't heard of Hillside street rods. Where are they located? Seems like i have seen pic's or a write up detailing how you built your body is it the one that's built with box tubing and sheet steel? I can't remember how i saw it maybe in one of the mags like in the readers rides section? nice talkin to ya! I can't wait to finish mine hows yours going?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  5. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Oiled Silk! Humm! My wife likes Silk. I don't know about Oiled! Thanks for the response!

6. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey CRTguy you take a chance yet? Have you tried a small project, I'm rootin for ya! Thanks for following I am amazed at the response my little project has gotten and all the support I've received, It's so cool.

7. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Had a hour or so to play with the rod, So I thought I would fool with the door jams I am creating a inner lip to attach a gasket so the doors won't rattle while driving as well as keep road dirt and exhaust fumes from entering the shell. I made some flanges that are approximately 3/4" wide to lap over the inner door frame. I'm not quite satisfied with them so I have to regroup and maybe make something else. Will post pic's as I go.

8. RR496

RR496

Great Metalwork!

9. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

No I have not yet but want to. I'm been down with the flu twice and in Baltimore at Johns Hopkins for doctors appointments for me and family.

I'm working on the the idea in my head for building a t bucket and I wouldnt mind to try doing it in metal. Your work is inspiring man.

Keep us posted!

10. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

Hillside is in covington.. You might have seen my C-Cab on Gearz.
    Just do a Google search on Homemade C-Cab,, you will find it..

11. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Cool now I remember it was featured in the What are you working on segment! That's to cool. I have been watching Gearz's for awhile but there is not enough new shows! I Have been keeping an eye on the SLC build but haven't seen anything new on it in awhile. I find the show is one big infomercial, and that turns me off. Still would love to have my little creation featured!

12. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys, today I began finishing the door jams and creating the pinch flanges to attach a rubber gasket to seal the doors from road dirt and exhaust fumes. Completed the passenger side and started the driver side, almost finished it. Will finish it on sunday and post some pic's.

13. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Awesome cryptkepper I didnt even think about the door jam gaskets. Keep going and keep us posted!

14. swimeasy

swimeasy

Just found this thread! Man, I dig what you are doing. Nice work with limited resources- heavy kudos man!

15. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Ok guys, got a chance to work on the rod Saturday and half of today! I wanted to smooth out the jams and align them with the inside of the doors and create a pinch weld to attach a rubber seal to seal the door form the outside elements. So I bent all the pieces I need with 20 gauge sheeting and bent all the flanges. So here are the pic's! The next project is going to be the dash and door panels so be patient.

Attached Files:

16. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Man Cryptkeeper!!! Tha this awesome work! I wish I had your skills. I think you should start teaching man. This is a lost art form that a lot of young kids if they got into it now would have a very bright future.

Very awesome metal work!

17. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks CRTguy, TEACH!!! with what time? Man I need to be wealthy you know like win the LOTTO! LOL!!

18. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

If you win let me know I'm a long lost cousin haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Will do! I should be so lucky!

20. davo461

davo461

I am sure your rubber seals will keep the elephants out! lol
    Really great craftsmanship!
    Davo

21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Incredible build....WOW!!!! Still trying to catch my breath from that suicide perch!!!

22. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Had a couple of hours to work on the rod today after work, started forming the dash trying to keep it simple. Will only have a speedo 3 3/8's inch and two 2" gauges these will be centered in the dash, here are some pic's.

Attached Files:

23. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

Coming a long very nice...;)

24. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks, that suicide perch was done on a Whim! I have seen so many on rods that looked like S#&t that I swore I would not let mine look like an after thought. I love Art Deco styling so it just had to be done! It was easy and didn't take long to fab.

25. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys, got some temp wheels and tires from a good friend. They are trailer wheels 5 on 4.5 lug pattern. I wanted to see how it would sit. The fronts are the right height but the rears are 1.5 inches short. Gonna run five inch wide rims on the front and 7 inch in the rear with 4 inches back space, the front will have 3 inch back spacing. so here are some pic's, it's her first time in the sun.

Attached Files:

26. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is just awesome! I can not put into words how cool this build is and that it is hand made. Just freaking awesome man!

What are the plans for the interior?

27. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey Guys, Haven't had a lot of time to work on the rod, so it's Saturday and had a list of honey do's got em done and was able to fab up a windshield frame. I had been avoiding it and was able to focus on building it, it is not complete will finish it tomorrow, here are some pic's so far.

Attached Files:

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Oh wow man! That really ties the whole body in and it pops man! I dig it!

What is next after the windshield?

29. 50shubox

50shubox

looks like you're doin a hell of a job..i am starting the same type of project now..could you please foreward any more pictures of the build?thanks ..50shubox

30. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey shubox thanks. I have posted all but a few of the pic's I've taken while building and those I haven't posted were of poor quality. If I can help let me know what you need!