Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Connecticut law Call you reps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRBOB34, Jun 4, 2013.

1. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

4C’s Legislative Alert – State House Adopts Bill to Limit Miles an Antique Car Can Be Driven

Tuesday June 4, 2013.

House Bill 6629, “An Act Concerning Regionalism in Connecticut” has been on the House Calendar since April 18, 2013. There was nothing adverse to the antique auto hobby in this bill.

Very late last night, the House introduced and adopted two amendments to this bill that adversely impact the antique auto hobby. The amendments incorporate the recommendations from the M.O.R.E. Commission that I have reported on in the 4C’s newsletter. House Bill 6629, including these two amendments, passed the House this morning at 12:07 AM. The bill is now on its way to the Senate for consideration, which may happen very quickly since the legislative session is scheduled to end on Wednesday June 5th. The amended version of this bill impacts the antique auto hobby in the following ways:

1) The maximum $500 assessed value for the purposes of determining local property tax is increased to $1000.00

2) The minimum age of an antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle, or modified antique motor vehicle is increased from 20 to 30 years.

3) Any vehicle currently issued a special number plate, (an Early American plate) for an antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle that is less than thirty years old on or before July 1, 2013, shall not be required to forfeit such special number plate. (That is a good thing and what we asked for at the public hearing.)

4) Fees collected by the DMV for antique, rare or special interest motor vehicles shall be deposited in the “municipal reimbursement and revenue account” instead of the “special transportation fund.” No increase in the registration fees of antique motor vehicles is specified in the bill as amended.

5) The owner of a vehicle with antique plates must certify that such motor vehicle is not driven more than two thousand miles in a two-year period and provides any additional information the commissioner may require.

At this point, I think we are okay with the first three items listed above (we simply may have to live with the increased maximum assessed value from $500 to $1000 – it is better than $2500). The fourth item, where the state puts the money they get from antique auto registrations, does not appear to be of concern to the hobby.

It is the 5<SUP>th</SUP> item listed above that is the most troubling. It is described in Section 85 on page 82 of 101 of House Amendment Schedule B (LCO #8721) to House Bill 6629. This section adds a new limit on how many miles an antique car can be driven to a maximum of 2000 miles in two years. While likely acceptable for the many of the antique cars in the state, this limit may be overly restrictive for many hobbyists who attend frequent auto shows or those who use their vehicles in regional road tours. (Such as those who participated Freedom Road Rally who visited the 4C’s New England Air Museum Show this past Sunday.) This new limitation has been added without any opportunity for a public hearing or public feedback.

At this point, the bill as amended has been adopted by the House and is on its way to a Senate for consideration. Since the Legislative Session ends this Wednesday (June 5<SUP>th</SUP>), if you want to express you opposition to this aspect of the bill you need to contact your State Senator via the phone or E-mail as soon as possible using the following suggested talking point:

Early Tuesday morning (June 4) the House passed House Bill 6629 “An Act Concerning Regionalism in Connecticut” as amended by House Amendment Schedule B (LCO #8721). Section 85 of House Amendment Schedule B limits the maximum distance an antique vehicle can be driven to 2000 miles in a two year period. I am opposed to this new limitation. I feel this limitation, which was adopted without an opportunity for a public hearing, is overly restrictive, and may limit my ability to drive my antique vehicle for occasional pleasure use and to and from antique auto shows and club tours

<FORM method=post name=showMessageForm action=showMessage;_ylc=X3oDMTBubmxpZHRvBF9TAzM5ODMwMzAyNwRhYwNkZWxNc2dz?mid=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI&fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&filterBy=&.rand=1938595622><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=fromMsgButtonAction><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI name=mid><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=startMid><INPUT type=hidden name=filterBy><INPUT type=hidden value=Inbox name=fid><INPUT type=hidden value=date name=sort><INPUT type=hidden value=down name=order><INPUT type=hidden name=externalPopServer><INPUT type=hidden value=b2vIjWaWxSp name=mcrumb><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=ymcjs><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=uc><INPUT type=hidden value=25 name=pSize><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI name=nextMid><INPUT type=hidden name=prevMid><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw,2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI,2_0_0_1_370195_AMPVimIAAE0BUasO7QVCamikOXk,2_0_0_1_352277_AMPVimIAAK40UamjOApVQSzB8Ic,2_0_0_1_347303_ANbVimIAAUmgUalF4AzbnDQn8qs,2_0_0_1_333084_AMLVimIAAX/HUai4EgVPr0KAlI4, name=m><INPUT type=hidden value=msg.delete name=cmd><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw name=deleteMid><INPUT id=1442575135bottom_del type=submit value=Delete name=bottom_delete></FORM><FORM id=showMessageFormbottom method=post name=showMessageForm action=compose?&.rand=1938595622><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw name=mid><INPUT type=hidden value=auto name=enc><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=rich><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=startMid><INPUT type=hidden name=filterBy><INPUT type=hidden value=Inbox name=fid><INPUT type=hidden value=date name=sort><INPUT type=hidden value=down name=order><INPUT type=hidden name=externalPopServer><INPUT type=hidden value=b2vIjWaWxSp name=mcrumb><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=ymcjs><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=uc><INPUT type=hidden value=25 name=pSize><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI name=nextMid><INPUT type=hidden name=prevMid><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw,2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI,2_0_0_1_370195_AMPVimIAAE0BUasO7QVCamikOXk,2_0_0_1_352277_AMPVimIAAK40UamjOApVQSzB8Ic,2_0_0_1_347303_ANbVimIAAUmgUalF4AzbnDQn8qs,2_0_0_1_333084_AMLVimIAAX/HUai4EgVPr0KAlI4, name=m><INPUT type=hidden value=mask name=cmd><INPUT id=1442575135bottom_reply style="VISIBILITY: visible" type=submit value=Reply name=action_msg_reply><SELECT id=1442575135bottom_reply_select style="DISPLAY: none; VISIBILITY: visible"><OPTION id=1442575135bottom_reply_option selected value=Reply>Reply</OPTION><OPTION id=1442575135bottom_reply_all_option value="Reply All">Reply All</OPTION></SELECT><INPUT id=1442575135bottom_reply_all style="DISPLAY: none" type=submit value="Reply All" name=action_msg_replyall><INPUT id=1442575135bottom_forward type=submit value=Forward name=action_msg_fwd></FORM><FORM method=post name=showMessageForm action=showMessage?mid=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI&fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&filterBy=&.rand=1938595622><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=fromMsgButtonAction><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI name=mid><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=startMid><INPUT type=hidden name=filterBy><INPUT type=hidden value=Inbox name=fid><INPUT type=hidden value=date name=sort><INPUT type=hidden value=down name=order><INPUT type=hidden name=externalPopServer><INPUT type=hidden value=b2vIjWaWxSp name=mcrumb><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=ymcjs><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=uc><INPUT type=hidden value=25 name=pSize><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI name=nextMid><INPUT type=hidden name=prevMid><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw,2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI,2_0_0_1_370195_AMPVimIAAE0BUasO7QVCamikOXk,2_0_0_1_352277_AMPVimIAAK40UamjOApVQSzB8Ic,2_0_0_1_347303_ANbVimIAAUmgUalF4AzbnDQn8qs,2_0_0_1_333084_AMLVimIAAX/HUai4EgVPr0KAlI4, name=m><INPUT type=hidden value=msg.spam name=cmd><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw name=spamMid><INPUT type=hidden value=30 name=spamCleanupPeriod><INPUT id=1442575135bottom_spam type=submit value=Spam name=bottom_spam></FORM><FORM method=post name=showMessageForm action=showMessage;_ylc=X3oDMTBvNWMwM2FjBF9TAzM5ODMwMzAyNwRhYwNtdkZsZE1zZw--?mid=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI&fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&filterBy=&.rand=1938595622><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=fromMsgButtonAction><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI name=mid><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=startMid><INPUT type=hidden name=filterBy><INPUT type=hidden value=Inbox name=fid><INPUT type=hidden value=date name=sort><INPUT type=hidden value=down name=order><INPUT type=hidden name=externalPopServer><INPUT type=hidden value=b2vIjWaWxSp name=mcrumb><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=ymcjs><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=uc><INPUT type=hidden value=25 name=pSize><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI name=nextMid><INPUT type=hidden name=prevMid><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw,2_0_0_1_413954_AMPVimIAAExbUa0WAwLPtS0mNXI,2_0_0_1_370195_AMPVimIAAE0BUasO7QVCamikOXk,2_0_0_1_352277_AMPVimIAAK40UamjOApVQSzB8Ic,2_0_0_1_347303_ANbVimIAAUmgUalF4AzbnDQn8qs,2_0_0_1_333084_AMLVimIAAX/HUai4EgVPr0KAlI4, name=m><INPUT type=hidden value=msg.move name=cmd><INPUT type=hidden value=2_0_0_1_436747_ALzVimIAADTAUa4FkACIdxaFWOw name=moveMid><SELECT id=bottom_move_select1442575135 class=dropdown style="FLOAT: left; DISPLAY: none; VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 125px" name=bottom_move_select bodyinject="true"><OPTION selected value="">Move...</OPTION></SELECT><INPUT id=bottom_move1442575135 title="Move selected Message(s)" style="VISIBILITY: visible" type=submit value=Move... name=bottom_move></FORM>
    Go to Previous message | Go to Next message

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! Now the government has the right to tell you how many miles you can drive your old car! That sounds like it's in violation of ones right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Lild

Lild

Holy crap! Thats some serious bullshit! Can they legal do that without a public hearing?

4. Fenders

Fenders

I believe in Mass. the restriction is 5,000 miles per year -- but I don't know whether that is an RMV restriction on the antique plate, or an insurance company restriction for the lowered insurance premium.

The RMV does restrict it to and from shows, etc.

All of which is why I have a regular plate on my coupe.

5. cayager

cayager

you can drive the wheels off your old car, you just cant put antique plates on it. see in connecticut it drives me crazy to see a 1985 chevy pickup running around with early american plates on it. an 85 chevy is hardly early american. im sure america was in full swing by then.
    anyway 2000 miles in 2 years is ridiculous. i could see 3 or 4k a year but 2k in 2 years?

6. what the hell is 2000 miles in 2 years? why not 1000 miles a year? wacky azzz politicians. LOL
    -Pat

7. 68vette

68vette

Want to hear " Way out there in "R"ight field.....

The very sucessful Tesla electic car company in California is not allowed to open any dealership in NC.

$50.00 surcharge on your license tag every year on any hybrid.

$100.00 surcharge if its all electric.

Rain barrels are out lawed to use and own on your own property....

Take away of the Asheville Water system and given to another enity....and in the same law...this is not allowed to effect any other water system in NC.

Against the law to photograph any farm animal.

All of this since January when the party in NC changed when a "lets get politics out of government" was elected.

As old car owners....we need to really watch who is on our side and who is not.

8. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

This is the law in most states. They allow you to get "Antique Plates" (new plates with the word Antique on them) under the assumption that you don't use the car very often, only for club activities, and driving in parades, etc. . . so, since you rarely use the car, the registration fee is lower, and often needs to be renewed less often.

You can't have it both ways, either you use the car often, get "non-antique" plates, and pay the regular amount. . . or pay less and get the "Antique Plates". . . but you can't put as many miles on it.

It's a pretty fair law.

9. How hard is it to rollback or switch out a speedometer in a antique car?

10. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

while not a fan of the limit, the other posters are right--if you don't fit in the boundary, then get a regular license plate.

kinda like going to a store, seeing a sale that tells you you get a deal if you buy in bulk, then buying only one and insisting you get the sale price. Do we complain if private business limits us in order to give us a deal that's in their favor and our's?

I live in CT. It snows half the year. There are plenty of showgoers who run their cars very rarely (I know b/c I go to the shows, and see cars at only one monthly show yet not Mark's, etc) due to a desire to not sit in the humidity, or they're busy with the "honey do" list or shuttling the kids around.

they'll do OK with the new license plate rule. It just sucks for people who actually use their car the way it was intended when it was first built.

but hey, I was a guy using "farm equipment" plates to get around engines that wouldn't pass emissions when I was a kid :) lol There's ways to get around things you don't like, which in itself can be something not to like.

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

In NY, if you register your car as "Historic", you are limited to 3000 miles per year. This is likely due to the fact that cars registered in this way are not subject to annual emmi$$ions testing, only safety inspections are required.

So from an environmental perspective, I get it. If I want to drive the car more than 3,000 miles per year, no problem, just register it with regular plates.

12. 1996 and back are not subject to emissions anyhow, except possibly in the New York City area.

I'd just buy a spare cluster and swap it back and forth at inspection time if that was an issue.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What if your antique car has no odometer ? I don't think every old car had one, and what if you just disconnected the speedo cable, how would they know ?

I keep saying the guys in suits would love to get our old cars put into museums and off the roads, but people keep calling me Chicken Little. :rolleyes: I have seen too many things come to pass that we said NEVER would happen, but somehow they got the laws passed to make sure they did.

Don

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Pennsylvania Antique plate law is limited use only. I don't believe there is a mileage limit. You can drive the car at night if you have modern lighting, sealed beams and twin taillights. You only pay $75 one time only, no inspections or renewals needed. You should not use the car to commute or drive to work.

Ago

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

For true antiquers (nut and bolt total restoration crowd) have never been bothered by mileage restrictions. A lot of the hard core (gota win a trophy/ribbon) have trailered their cars for years.
    When the "Street Rod" plates started appearting I warned that it was nothing more than "putting a target on your back" for the government and if they decided to change the rules or restrict usage they would have a tidy little database to do anything they wanted including confiscating your car. Don't think your car can be confiscated, tell that to any country that has had their guns outlawed and taken away.
    Vanity can (and most often does) bite you in the ass. Register and plate your hot rod like any other vehicle and avoid the hassle. Some cry about the cost but with gas over $3.00 (usually $4.) a couple of hundred spent this way to avoid the built in pitfalls will find me registering my stuff like it was my daily pickup.

Frank

16. F&J

F&J

Frank, you need to figure in the CT personal property tax that is due each year.

The antique car plate statutes were changed by lobbyists some decades ago, by the people who owned very valuable cars. They got the 500 yearly assessment passed, so you only pay tax on your Model T or gullwing Mercedes or Duesenberg at whatever your town has for a mill rate x 500 dollars. So roughly 20-30 bucks a year no matter how valuable the car is...IF it has antique plates. Put regular plates on those cars and your town will tax at full book value! So that "couple of hunderd extra bucks" might well be 4 figures in yearly tax...or more!

A liitle time spent in the statutes also shows that antique plates are for 100% stock vehicles, but I have seen this not to be enforced by anyone here; town, state or PD.

17. chubbie

chubbie

Yep i understand it too. Interresting that when i license or work with my insurance they feel good about offering me these limited miles deals.....because thats what MOST old car owners want!! These people don't understand that i throw miter saw and my nailers in my model A and go trim out a house!!!!!

18. Fenders

Fenders

FWIW Massachusetts does not require a speedometer / odometer in a car.

19. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

This may be a midnight or just before vote, just like they did the budget, the anti-gun law and some other recent questionable votes. Just be happy the liberals didn't try to raise the fees.

20. This is the language of the amended bill. It would appear that special interest plates that have already issued will become "Grandfathered" for vehicles that are less than 30 years. The mileage limitations would seem to apply only to individuals who are using Year of Manufacture Porcelain plates that were issued by Connecticut DMV between the years of 1910 and 1919.All plates made since then were either painted or had a reflective coating.The language appears make a definite distinction between special interest and porcelain plates. That being said I still plan to contact my representative to voice my opposition to this issue

By law, the DMV commissioner may issue special number plates to motor vehicles that qualify as antique, rare, or special-interest or modified antique, as described above. By changing the definitions of antique, rare, or special interest and modified antique motor vehicles, the bill restricts the age of vehicles that qualify for the special plates. But, people already issued these plates will be allowed to retain them even if their motor vehicle is not at least 30 years old on July 1, 2013.
    The bill specifies that any fees collected for antique motor vehicle registration must be placed in the municipal reimbursement and revenue account, rather than the STF.
    The bill also requires people who want to use porcelain number plates issued by the DMV on their vehicle to certify that the motor vehicle on which the plates are placed is, in addition to existing requirements, not driven more than two thousand miles in a two-year period.
    EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2015, except the provisions regarding porcelain plates, grandfathering special number plates, and directing antique motor vehicle registration fees to the municipal reimbursement and revenue account are effective July 1, 2013. The assessment provisions are applicable to assessment years commencing on and after October 1, 2015.

21. customcory

customcory

Right on, N.C. is going to hell, watch it on the news if they dare show it.:mad:

22. A Boner

A Boner

23. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

They're always nibbling at your wallet.................actually taking big bites these days.

24. k9racer

k9racer

In George Orwells book 1984 told of Big Brother watching over us..

25. Disconnect the speedometer and just use the GPS function on your phone,problem solved.

26. ems customer service

ems customer service

do not worry about enforcement of regulations, it is a money grab bill

1 $500 to $1000

2 and the increase in antique plates from 20 to 30 years means more expensive plates for the cars 21 to 29 years

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thats the way I look at it. About time they did something with the "Antique" plates on every 20 year old POS here in Connecticut, there is a TOW TRUCK at a local station with "Antique" plates. Bob

28. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

None of us have a right to drive on public roads. It's a "privilege" given to you the various states in the form of license plates and operator's license.The majority of the public doesn't give a shit about the needs of a small number of hot rodders.
    Obviously protesting these laws in an organized manner can change things...But if your state laws are not what you like,you can move...

30. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Here in WV an antique plate can be added to a vehicle over 25 years old BUT that means it can only be driven to shows OR as 'general transportation' from 4PM on Friday through 8AM Monday morning, or on holidays... no need for an inspection though.

The main reason I avoided it and opted instead for a classic plate which has usual inspection requirements but no limit on when it can be driven.