Register now to get rid of these ads!

FlatCad Racing's Quest for 200 MPH-a Cadillac Flathead Story!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Aug 22, 2012.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Aero work is done!

Hopefully, we can get WZ JUNK to post you up some fresh pics and info! John, I can't begin to thank you enough for what you have done!:cool:

Engine and parts are now in Ohio, so Dale will be next up with the engine assembly and changes, such as piston oilers and roller cam!

Randy will be posting up some mechanical changes and paint work!

2. gettin closer to makin some smoke eh........

3. 432bullet

432bullet

I saw the car over at wz junks this week, He really has done a great job fabricating, Looks real good. :)

4. Have been working on setting up a second set of injector nozzles - 'down nozzles' in the manifold. We'll have a pop-off valve that will actuate at a certain fuel pressure to start feeding the down nozzles. Having individual nozzles that spray into the port should help us get a consistent fuel distribution. We'll still put 40% or so through the hat injector (to cool the blower, etc).

Anyway - here are some pictures of all the dang stainless lines I made to plumb this crap in. Takes a lot more time than one plans - even when you have the right tubing tools! :rolleyes:

Will be posting a lot of engine assembly stuff in the next couple weeks - the 'torch has now been passed to Ohio' . . . time to haul butt and get it done!

DownNozzles1 copy.jpg

DownNozzles2 copy.jpg

DownNozzles3 copy.jpg

Cheers,

B&S

5. That is fricking awesome . . . will be some sight from inside the car as well! :D

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Dale, it's looking good, my friend! You have a lot to do by July 1, but I know you'rE up to the task!

I have to give props to two guys that have been working their ass off!

Don, who has done an extreme amount of precision work, on the girdle, mains, lifter blocks, and lifters. Don, thank you sooo much-you're the best!

John K, who has been equally busy, doing all of the aero work! John, words can never express my gratitude, but I'll try-THANKS!

From John:

The inside edges of the fenders have flanges made to fit the car. First the side of the car was masked off. Fiberglass was applied to the sides of the car and the fender was installed. Then the edges of the fenders were fiber glassed to the still wet fiber glass on the car. The fender was made to fit the car. Soft foam tape will be applied to the flange to seal the fender to the car.

Randy just arrived to pick up the car.

John

Attached Files:

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Buddy that thing has HIGH SPEED written all over it, Nice work John,,,, Tim Jones

8. Lamb22erth

Lamb22erth
    from USA

I sure hope you'll join us, and follow along for the 'ride'![​IMG]

9. Dale looks like retorquing the heads will really be a treat this year huh

10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well I picked up the flatcad today from John (Wzjunk's) and I tell you what this thing is so aerodynamic I didn't even know it was behind my ol beater pickup I think I picked up at least a couple mpg and a good 50 or 60 thumbs up on the way home John sure does good work now time to get busy making this thing look pretty and have it ready for the engine install in July stay tuned for progress pics

[​IMG]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm in Kansas and Missouri for a week, so I stopped to see Randy (wrenchbender), and plan some work days with him. Randy had a car painter he wanted me to talk to, so we headed to Webb City.

I'm happy to announce that our car will have shiny new paint, and a new sponsor logo,to go with the new aero mods! Max at Liles Performance & Auto Body, Webb City, MO., has graciously agreed to sponsor the paint and body work!

Randy, thanks for the introduction! Max, THANK YOU very much, and welcome to FlatCad Racing!

12. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Wow I feel better now !!!! This is where buddy was headed !!!!

[​IMG]

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey, it's traditional anyway. Painted our first race car that way in 1962 without the fancy attachment. :D

14. [​IMG]
    this is a step up for most of us........

15. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I made the side skirts this morning. Buddy stopped by for a short visit and picked up the skirts.

As far as I know I have one last job on the car. When Randy replaces the front spring and adjust the front axle, I will mark and cut the front wheel openings.

Monday I start on Hooley's Studebaker. I am going to lengthen the front end 24 inches and build an air intake.

John

16. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I live in Webb City, MO!! I would love to stop by and see it in person when it is being painted. Any chance you could let us know when it gets to the paint booth so the locals can drool?

17. beautiful work on the car John!!!

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

We'll post when it heads to the paint shop!

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Ok guys, here's he last chance to get one before we head to the salt!

FlatCad Quest 200 tee shirts, printed on "natural' colored Gidan Ultra 6.0 oz., pre-shrunk 100% cotton Tees!

You may not be able to be on the salt with us, but you can still support our efforts by buying a cool tee shirt!

Med-XL shirts are $18.99, XXL and 3XL are $20.99, and shipping is $3.99. You can Paypal [email protected], or go to www.flatcaddy.com. Please allow 2-3 weeks shipping, because I spend 2 weeks out of every month in Pennsylvania, and may not be home to ship.

Attached Files:

20. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Here is an update on the lifters

the finish heat treating and grinding is complete on them and I fit each one to the lifter blocks today. Now they will be sent off to the wire EDM to cut the slot for the rollers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Nice work, Don!

Now we can get crackin'!

22. Been working on the design/setup of a new ignition system for the FlatCad. We want to run in the modified classes as well as vintage, so we need to have some engine management to go to modified. The new MSD Power Grid system gives us computer controlled timing, boost retard, data acquisition (for advance), etc..

I've not used the newer MSD stuff - really like what I'm seeing so far. Their software is fairly simple to use (for system setup and data analysis) - has a few quirks, but so does everybody in the automotive business. (It is not their strength!).

Here are some pictures of the many boxes of stuff on my bench, all the components and the 'test board' that I made to mount/test everything.

I setup everything and then use my distributor machine to test the ignitions, see how the software works, ensure that timing is coming in correctly, etc.. I've only just started to use it - still need to test the boost retard, rev limiters, etc..

At the end of this post are four links to YouTube -- have videos to show the setup and actual running.

I'm really looking forward to running the MSD - I'm very excited about how it has performed on the bench. :D

MSDBoxes copy.jpg

MSDComponents copy.jpg

MSDTestBoard copy.jpg

Links to videos:

1) MSD Power Grid Setup: http://youtu.be/EmVZZldLpiw

2) MSD Power Grid Running: http://youtu.be/am3og4CkB9c

3) Vertex Mag Setup: http://youtu.be/6XHHQctVTIc

4) Vertex Mag Running: http://youtu.be/iYXQVS1_2VA

Gotta love Ole' Sparky! Is always fun to fire it up!

B&S

23. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I love it!!! Nothing like e thoroughly modern flathead.

24. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Dale you are a BIG OL Mad Scientist !!!!!

25. Its ahlive.....its ahlive................

26. And definitely 'AbbyNormal'. :D

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha! Now we can call it 'FrankinCaddy'!

That spark on the MSD Power Grid looks freakin' hot, and we're going to need it!

Great job, Dale!

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Lookin good buddy, Tim Jones

29. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Levi Lish of Turbo Performance Products, has just finished the blankets on our headers, and sent me pics!

This should make things easier to work on after a run!

Attached Files:

30. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

I just finished the slot for the roller in the lifter .. we set it up in the wire EDM. if you look close you can see the small roller oil feed hole directed directly in to the needle bearings on the roller
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will be doing the final clearances on the edges by hand and ship them off to The BIG OL Mad Scientist Dale