Register now to get rid of these ads!

need CAD advice!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellbent hotrodder, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Hellbent hotrodder

Hellbent hotrodder

I've never used a CAD program before, but I am looking to learn. I searched the web and found about a million different programs. Which ones are good? It seems that AutoCAD and Solidworks seem to be the most popular, why? Also some day I would like to get a CNC mill/lathe (something like a Smitthy maybe) so if this could effect my choice somehow I would like to know. Thanks Mike

2. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Biggest reason, they are compatible with machines. You can buy programs like "design cad" for $20, but other then learning the basics they aren't good for much more then plans design and showing off designs. There are many out there that will work with lots of machines, but some of the cheaper stuff has no "user help" when needed, and it is hit and miss on what will work, where as Autocad will. If you are just #@^^#@ing around with it and not producing parts, ask around to some of your buds, they might have a copy to "bootleg" for you. I have bought a few "no name" types before, but couldn't even list them as they were all sold/given away, we only use autocad now. If buying a no name to practice, there is no harm, but if spending any real money, just make sure it will be compatable with your machine.

3. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

What he said...

AutoCAD is very popular - mostly because it was one of the only programs available to the early machine shops, and a lot of shops have just stuck it out with the program because their machines run on it already.

Is is by no means the best thing going, but it is one of the sure bets when it comes to landing a gig and being able to jump into the fold.

SolidWorks is kick ass. It's interface is better than AutoCAD and you could probably build and learn faster with it.

But don't let me sell you on that either because guess what - AutoCAD 2006 is suppose to be a whole new ball of wax.

It should give you much of what SolidWorks has for interface and still be able to support the file type and compatibility of the old AutoCAD stuff. THINGS ARE CHANGING...

If it were me I think I'd try to get AutoCAD 2006 with AutoCAD Inventor. Then you could do ANYTHING. (not that there are many limits with any of the other programs listed before).

I have also noticed a lot of companies using Pro-E, but thats totally foreign to me.

4. I would try and get one of the big name programs,
    even an older version will be better than some no name stuff.

Be prepared to spend some money,and a LOT of time
    to get anywhere near proficient.

5. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

I like Solidworks. I've used 2D autoCAD, and Pro-E, and Solidworks is the most user friendly. You can also get SolidCAM for if you get a CNC, the plus is that you can change your part after you've written a program for it and just hit "synchronize and calculate all" and its updated. MasterCAM is supposedly WAY more powerful, but I haven't used it... good luck, that shits expensive.

6. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

Solidworks is good for everyday use and easy to learn. Personally I think ProE is the best. I am biased though because thats what I use everyday at work. Plus, the new proengineer wildfire is pretty user friendly. Cost is pretty high though.

7. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

I've been using MasterCam for around 10 years, so you know what I'm going to tell you. Since it's introduction of solids in V8, I think it's the most versatile design program that I've used. I think you can buy Design or MasterCam Art for pretty cheap, too. Also, of the above mentioned CAD programs, only MasterCam and SolidCam are able to output CNC code it you decide to go that route.

8. ol fueler

ol fueler

BOY --This just Masde me Realize how OLD I Really AM.--- I thought this was gonna be about a Tech question on building a Cad motor or Tranny .. silly Me.:eek:

9. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

You should be able to get a student version of pro/e, if your a college student, or know one, pretty cheap. Pro, Catia, UG, they all gonna cost some BIG $$$ to actually purchase, plus a monthly maitenance fee. AutoCad or Solidworks is cheaper and a bit easier to install and use, but not as robust as the others. Most likley they would work fine. Now if you can get a bootleg, hmmm, wish I knew someone with one:D .

10. mikes51

mikes51

Nowadays I often work on a project with 2 or 3 other designers. We don't work in the same room or even building. Imagine we 3 designers are creating a car, one person draws up the frame in CAD, another draws up the suspension, and the other is doing body. We then send each other these CAD drawings, and mate these parts together on our computers. It's just more practical to do this sharing of information if we use the same CAD software.

Around this area, you need to have Solidworks or Autocad if you want to communicate easily with other designers or fabrication shops. It's a snowball effect.

It sounds like your end reason for learning CAD is to make your own parts on your CNC machine. Then (as others have mentioned) get a program that will best communicate with your CNC machine.

11. BigEd

BigEd

Check out

emachineshop.com

They will let you download their cad program free of charge and then you can use the output for yourself or send it to them to make for you.

12. johnboyrox

johnboyrox
    from Ottawa, KS

If you are going to get the CNC You will probably want to go with autocad or something that can save to an autocad format. I have set up a number of systems in the past (20+) and they have all been compatible with or came with converters for autocad drawing files. You could get a program called TurboCAD or something similar for a lot less money, but you will end up re-learning alot of things if you ever switch. You could get an old version of AutoCAD LT or something for alot less money and learn to do 2D drawings on it and then you wouldn't have such a learning curve when you wanted to go more advanced. Most guys I've known that are good in CAD find a good product, learn all they can about it, and don't switch.

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

With out a DOUBT the SINGLE BEST CAD package is .................................. the one your potential employer want you to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learn autocad simply because it's easy and ALOT of shops use it. The learn SolidWorks and or Pro E - better yet find out which ones are more prevalent in your area and focus there. People will argue to the end of time which is BETTER - the better one is the one that gets your foot in the door!!!!

14. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

Around here ACAD 2000 is the base but seems now that we are even gettin out of the dark ages with that as the shop I am with uses ACAD Inventor and ACAD 2004. We know there is new updates but most places around here only run 2000 as a base so we will be good for a while. INVENTOR is a very kool program and you can pretty much self teach yourself as there is really good tutorials in this program for new users.

15. Hellbent hotrodder

Hellbent hotrodder

Thanks for the info guys!:)

16. In my opinion AutoCad is not what you want to use to draw and design 3-D objects. If you go with AutoCad you will want to get some of the add on programs which cost a ton, but make it one kick ass system. I use AutoCad everyday, I am a surveyor, but we use it as a platform with the SoftDesk Civil design and Surveying packages which make it really powerful.

When I was in school studying Architectural/Mechanical Engineering we used AutoCad but the straight Mechanical Engineering students were using Solid Works. From what they talked about, solid works was the cats ass for mechanical design of gears, cams, ect.

I would go with Solid works, much more powerful than stock AutoCad. AutoCad does have a Mechanical Desktop software. Go to www.autodesk.com and look at the demos for AutoCad and see if they are what you want. I would venture to say that most CNC machines will accept a broad range of file types and formats from different softwares to make them more compatible and more marketable.

Geno

17. BluesHound

BluesHound

Bingo. I use Pro/E and have grown comfortable with it, unfortunately I don't get to spend as much time designing as I would like. In college I used SDRC I-Deas and became proficient, but I didn't think it was as user-friendly as Pro/E is. Regardless of the program there will be a learning curve, be prepared for that.

18. JasonK

JasonK

What no MicroStation??? I know it's old as the hills, but I love it.

19. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

Are you planning on creating 2D or 3D drawings? For simple 2D drawings I would go for AutoCAD for Solid modeling I would lean Towards Solid Edge. Although either one will run you around 5 grand for the full version

I've used Solid Edge for almost 5 years now and AutoCAD for about 10. I like Solid edge although it has it's quarks. I was formally trained in AutoCAD but taught myself Solid Edge. Either one is pretty easy to pick up using the provided tutorials.

Good luck!

20. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Many people are interested in CAD software these days. It is a good usable tool. But when it comes to actually making a part with a CNC mill or lathe or any other computer controlled machine, one thing is overlooked! Many people assume that their dwg. or dxf. file they have drawn up is the magic key to making the CNC machine do its thing. They think their file is loaded into the machine and you push a button and out comes their part. In reality, a programmer or machinist has to take that file and use a CAM software package(Mastercam's real deal is $20K+)to edit and create real world changes to the part that can't be done with CAD. Then generate a G-code program that can then be transferred to the CNC machine to make the part.