Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH...53 Chevy T5/ open drive conversion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, May 3, 2008.

1. Keith English

Keith English

Anyone ever try to use the s10 clutch? got the transmission ready to go in but I can't find a 14 spline clutch plate that will fit against the stock pressure plate.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You aren't looking hard enough. many parts stores sell kits only now, so you need to find a place that sells discs stand alone. I used Casper brake and Clutch in downtown Kansas City. Support the little guy.

3. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

I have the Walton trans cross member for my 54 and love it... I hope they come up with something similar for an under the floor dual master and manual pedal assembly for a manual trans. Like alot of 53/54 owners, we may have our firewalls smoothed out and dont want to add anything to them. The moment Walton comes up with something to help the situation I'll buy it.

JP

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

old thread but lotta interest lately

5. Irishman

Irishman

I've been banging my head on my transmission woes for a while now on the forum.

I have a 47 Chevy Stylemaster with a torque tube, 235 engine but with the original 47 bellhousing from the 216 (with the old transmission bolt pattern. I think the top bolt holes are around 4" apart) and clutch. It has the three on the tree. I want rid of that and go floor shift.

I thought I struck gold today when I found a local guy with loads of early Chevy truck transmissions. It became quickly apparent that even that would involve a newer bellhousing and driveshaft shenanigans.

So here I am, thinking about my next move when I ran across this thread.

I just need to save some cash, find an S10 T5 transmission, a suitable rearend and get an adapter plate.

So, ok, it'll take a bit longer for me to get the cash together for this solution, but all indicators are it is the best solution.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

truck bellhousing will be cheaper and easier. late forties , early fifties 216 or 235

7. cw1949

cw1949

This might be a dumb question but I have been in the process of doing the same drive line swap and am setting up the 56 rear end on the factory springs. I made solid 3" x 1.75" block and drilled the locating pin hole 1.5" forward and 3/8" inward. Every thing lines up great but is it ok to have the blocks shifted on the leaf spring 3/8"? Or should the pin on the top of the block be moved 3/8" instead of shifting the lower hole? Any help would be great.

8. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clutch fork is in a different place.

Motor mounts are different too.

Cheaper, sure. Easier?

10. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

I am wondering if there are any differences between Sachs clutch discs and Brute power or Exedy??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran Sachs clutches in my Porsches for many happy miles.