Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Buntline Special A/Modified Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mattbee, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mattbee

Mattbee

I actually found it here on the H.A.M.B. I put a want ad out because I couldn't find any on ebay, swap meets etc... I did see quite a few of the mini ones though.

2. Mattbee

Mattbee

Finally some updates:

I finished up the steering over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on Sunday I moved the car outside. The car and the jig was pretty hard to move, so a zero turn solved that problem.

[​IMG]

Then I put a cage on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND NOW ITS ON THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND ITS LOOKING BAD AND SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have some more small stuff in the cage and steering to iron out. (another set of bars are going in the rollcage)

3. englishhemi32

englishhemi32

4. mrdodge

mrdodge

This build is just awesome. You have skills way above a lot of people (myself included) and a "can do" attitude. You also make things out of whatever you have lying around. I take my hat off to you, sir, and am subscribed. Great stuff!!:)

5. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Yep, what he said.

6. Elrod

Elrod

Looking great! Very cool build. I chuckled because along with hotrods I also restored a 1941 wurlitzer when I was around 15 as well.

I currently have a 1940 wurlitzer in the corner now that I bounce back and forth on between car projects.

Subscribed and looking forward to the updates!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I absolutely love this thread. I've never seen the car you're duplicating but I have a feeling, the fabrication quality is MUCH higher on your car. Everything looks sharp and precise. I admire that, a bunch.

Keep up the great work!

8. Clutched

Clutched

This. Is. Awesome. Great work! Keep it up!!

9. shane85

shane85

10. Another thumbs up from an ol fart who really appriciates any youngster with your drive and determination, now if I can only get my grandson to do the same, subsrcibed to this even though it has valve covers...... keep up the good work!!!!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome! Really looking forward to seeing the potivin style set up as you build it :)

12. Mattbee

Mattbee

I have been waiting and dreaming about the moment when I get to put the Buntline Special on the ground for the first time. Being able to see it on the ground for the first time was great. I have been working late on the car all week long just to get to this point. I have been working on this car for a little over a year now, and I just can't believe that I have gotten this far. I never thought in a million years that I would be building my own car this soon in life. This car has been a great learning experience. I would like to thank everybody that has helped me! Its full steam ahead, I'm going to keep chipping away at it! Could it be done by next summer?

Here are some more pictures.

Had to bend and lengthen the arms on the spindles. I also made my own weld in bungs on the lathe for the rod ends.
    [​IMG]

Made my own pitman arm. I used a steering coupler that I cut in half and welded the splined part into the arm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mattbee

Mattbee

Got the one half of the intake welded up the roadsters finally. Thanks to a friend a work for welding it. I've been really busy since I got the car on the ground. (New job, school etc....)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

14. Mattbee

Mattbee

1377132879851.jpg

15. Looking good! Very inspiring!!

16. Looks fantastic! Much respect.

17. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Matt, your doing a great job and you keep doing it. You are gonna have one badass hotrod there..........for sure. john

18. Looking GREAT!!!!

19. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

looks like it is going very nice. great progress. keep up the good work. yo do you have the blower for the car yet? If not let me know my dad has connections and can prob find you a 671 blower. you know you can use a 671 blower and cut the flange off so it looks like the one in the article. you may have to make some gears and a mount to run the blower but if you need any help Im putting a potvin set up on mine I got pics posted. if you need any measurements I may be able to help.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  20. laserred97gt

laserred97gt
    from Illinois

Matt,

We talked a couple years back. My dad owned the other Buntline Special back in the day. When we talked, you told me of your aspirations to build this car, and I am so glad that you are doing it.

It seems like you have all of the knowledge and skill needed to get this thing finished, but if you have any questions that me or my dad can answer for you, just let me know.

PM me and I'll give you my latest phone #.

Keep up the good work!

21. Mattbee

Mattbee

Its been a while since I have worked on my roadster. I finally got some time off work to get back working on the roadster. Steve and Dad came over yesterday and today to help mount the body and make sure the car looks like it did in 1960. The car is starting to come together. This is also the first time I have had it on the ground with the new rear wheels and tires. Two days in shop and we got it mounted. Next is to mout the seat, brake handle, master cylinder etc... Thanks for the help Steve and Dad! I plan on going to the shop after dinner tonight and mount the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  22. WOW! I just found this thread this morning. Outstanding.

23. 296ardun

296ardun

It's real clear that bad weather is not stopping you! Great progress, thanks for keeping us up to date, can't wait to see the finished product.

24. johnod

johnod

Just found this thread.
    Very cool build, I'll have to follow it now.
    Good luck.

Some other old fart mentioned hearing protection, good idea, I can't hear sh.. anymore.

25. Mattbee

Mattbee

Spent the last night in the shop working on the seat mounts. All I have left to do is make gusset for the tabs and drill some holes and they will be done.

Attached Files:

26. Mattbee

Mattbee

The kerosene heater takes forever to warm the shop up when it's 3 degrees outside!

27. Mattbee

Mattbee

Spent the last night in the shop working on the seat mounts. All I have left to do is make gusset for the tabs and drill some holes and they will be done.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Matt:
    That is some really nice work you are doing,and you and the guys helping you out on this one really do deserve a big high five for this.Just outstanding,Man!
    I get giddy every time I see an update on this car...!:D

Scott

Ps:It always freaks me out a little every time I catch a glimpse of that Potter bike in your shop.That man was just incredible.

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

29. laserred97gt

laserred97gt
    from Illinois

Any progress lately?

I'm sure you're busy getting this thing ready for summer.

Throw us a pic please! :)

30. Mattbee

Mattbee

I've gotten a little bit done since the last update. I added two support bars and a bar in the back of the roll cage for belts. Three more bars and the roll carefully be done. I also rebuilt the steering box with new seal bearings. Had to bore the box out and machine the worm gear shaft to make them fit. I also made a steering wheel flange and a bearing support for it. I just have to finish the tube it attaches to. (I'll post more pics of the box later) I also had the other side of intake welded up. Other than that I have been working on the ej potter bike.

Attached Files: