Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traditional Hot Rods in 1976

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951Streamliner, Jun 3, 2013.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I was looking through Street Rodder 1976 and was surprised to see this article.

I thought you guys would enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reason I have this issue is because my dad owned the Model T on the cover... it was Boyd Codington's first successful build, and the first car to be photographed in Disneyland. My Dad passed away last summer, so inherited the car. It's been sitting for a while so it needs a few things, but its all there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember that issue. Resto rods kicked ass. Didn't make a lot of sense, but kicked ass.:D

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sorry you lost your Dad. I would keep that T completely the way Coddington built it. First of all, to honor your Dad's memory, and secondly, Boyd's creations will start to become desirable collector items someday, if they haven't already. One of his first builds like yours should be worth some money I would think.

Don

4. Muttley

Muttley

Those are both nice cars. I hope that '32 wasnt destroyed in the '80's or '90's by some some clown with a fat checkbook and a Billet Specialties catalog.

5. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

1967 and smoothed running boards............ at least they have runners

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That T is it. What a great car that is.

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. What he said ^^^

8. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Nice "T" Tudor.Brings back memories.I built one in 1968 which was on the cover of R&C Dec '69.Green w/ black fenders,289sbf C4 ,Bell tube axle,Jag rear & Buick Skylark wire wheels.Silver gray mohair interior.Those were the good old days.

9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 32 is interesting because I have thought about putting an Olds in my 34 roller. My first car bought with my own money at 17 was an Oldsmobile. I see a lot of eyebrows raise when I say it but this article drives home that it was not out of place in the late 50's.

10. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Both cars are absolutely killer, the 32 is beautifully done, wonder if it survived?

I love the T sir, I wouldn't change a thing. What a great thing to remember your dad by.

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I like the T man, and a Boyd O.G. That car is worth $$$$$. I remember streets rods being fixed up like the T back in the 70s. I used to buy Street Rodder alot back then. Now days, I just flip through all the car Mags at Wallys Place. Too damn expensive now days.

12. ChrisCoddington

ChrisCoddington
    from Anaheim

Cool. Someone turned me onto this post so I thought I would jump on and share some pics from the archives. Sorry for your loss. I think I met your dad at Hot August Nights in 2008 if I am not mistaken. A couple of these pics were taken out in front of my parents house in Cypress, CA back when my dad was building these cars out of their little 2 car garage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. OLLIN

OLLIN

The Power of the hamb strikes again!

:cool:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's an awesome "T" you've got. Of course I love the deuce also. Thanks for sharing.

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Those are some killer shots Chris. I"m assuming that's Boyd sitting in it and 51Streamliner's parents standing in front?

16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

thats amazing Chris....what a great addition to this thread.

17. Thanks Chris for jumping in...

Do you remember a 32 Phaeton your dad built with lil John Buttera? It was a burnt orange mercedes color? Maybe around 79-80? My pops owned that one for a while in the 90's, and the car is now in Arlington Texas but it has been redone and doesn't look anything like when it was finished first.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I remember that issue for many reasons, but chiefly among them that "T", and that '32! I stared at that '32 lots as a kid trying to figure out the whole nostalgia thing. I always really dug the home made running boards on that car even though for some reason they kinda don't fit the car's era.

That "T" though, WOW! I have been a full fendered "T" kinda guy since my dad's '24 coupe when I was a little kid in the late sixties. Always thought they were just flat cool, but Boyd knocked it out of the park on that one.

I also remember that issue because I bought it on my very first trip to California. My family throughout the seventies, when we would have time, would take a week in Laguna Beach several times a year. I bought that magazine at the little book store that was right off the beach on the north end of town.

Dan, as odd as it seems, the butterscotch '32 phaeton brings back Laguna memories as well. It must have been 1980, on one of my last family trips over that I was riding my skate board down the sidewalk on the coast highway and that car slinked on past. Sooooo cool to see car that I had just seen in the magazines just out cruising up the coast highway...

19. ,
    Not trying to hijack but..
    Here's a pic of the car when my dad owned it around 93-94, when we lived in Phoenix.
    [​IMG]

20. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I really love the look of the T it's just really nice! Tell me what rear is under it?

Great looking T!

21. redo32

redo32

I have a picture of the '32 Phaeton in my photo album, it won an award at NSRA San Jose 1980. I got to say a few nice things to Boyd about the quality and engineering, he was fairly quiet. Big guy with a cowboy hat and sun glasses.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell Dan, I remember it around town now that I think about it. What is your dad's name? Didn't he own another Coddington car as well, a kind of high tech ;32 hiboy for a bit?

23. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

The "T" is historic. IT's a cover car, and needs to be preserved.
    I met Boyd out on the Salt one year, and amid all the chaos going on around him, he still had 5 minutes to just talk Hot Rod suspension with me. Cool Guy.

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm just now realizing who you are from Instagram.. Nice to know who Aaron is on here. ;) Sure would be cool to know if that deuce coupe is still around here somewhere. That Olds is a beauty.

Sorry about your dad. It sucks. :( You don't get over it, you just get used to it. Been getting used to it for about 3 and a half years now.. Hang in there, bud.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is the HAMB at it's best, when people like Chris take the time to drop in and fill in some blank spots for us. :D Can't ask for much more than that.

Don

26. My dad's name was Dan Hay too. I'm a junior. He was from Mesa. He spent his time with the guys from Zonie Motors, but passed away in 06.

To my knowledge this was the only Boyd car he ever owned, but he did have several 32 roadsters, but none had 'history'.

The phaeton was purchased from Bob Everetts (sp)? Then sold to Dave Mehelich of Mehelich wheels. I'm not sure how it got back to Texas, but I was at a local cruise night and even though it now is painted a more Sunkist Orange with a new interior and a Flathead, I recognized some of the one-off billet parts like the dash insert that clued me in that it was the old butterscotch 32. I confirmed it when I found the owner.

27. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

This is cool stuff right here, it's neat seeing cool cars from the past.

28. As proved by that story, Too Tall Ganahl got it back then and still does today. That 32 was originally Dick martin's, who I think is the same guy who rights some of those historical biographies in Rod & Custom lately. he might know if it is still around.

That Boyd built T was a killer car ,and it was Boyd's position as a machinist at Disneyland that got him permission to have the car shot there - something that had never done before and I'm not sure has been done since. It also should be enough to silence the Boyd haters that always pop up! The Boyd I knew when I worked at his shop part time at the house in Stanton was a fun guy who would do anything to help you out.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, that duece is a stunning car. I agree 100% about preserving that T.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There was a forty sedan that was featured in Street Rodder a couple of years later that was filmed down by the steam boat ride at Disney. Pretty sure Oddo shot it, but that's all I am aware of.