Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ethics of stealing ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Did we ever get a picture ??? Unless he's really anal,bet he'll be down right happy to think you liked it could enough to copy it. I know I would. No telling what others will say or if that even matters to you !!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Stealing ideas is very traditional. Remember how we used to wait for the latest copy of Hot Rod to show up so we could copy the latest trick ? There is nothing new under the sun, just ideas we keep recycling.

I've even been known to steal good ideas from my own Sons...........I have no shame. :eek::D

Don

3. 34Larry

34Larry

I'll just answer by saying: How many '32 Ford 3 windows, 5 windows, and roadsters look exactly the same. Stealing? No way. Good old fashioned hotrodding, nothing more.

4. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

He stole the idea from Henry Ford. So it's not his idea thet you'd be stealing.

5. it's been done. Let me see if I can find pictures....

6. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Shit im stealing a whole car idea from nimrod

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

First, it has already been done before and is nothing new. If you are really concerned about his feelings, tell him you really like what he did and you hope he wouldn't be offended if you did it on your build. I spent over 40 years as a designer and we stole great ideas everyday. Not much new on this earth, maybe just a new application of what has already been done. If this were an ethical problem we wouldn't have so many copies of Milner's '32 or any other clone.

8. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

taylor a 1.JPG

taylor a 2.JPG

I think I uploaded these correctly... I had to do the smallest size possible. If any of you have plans, pictures, or ideas like this, please post them. Thanks again for all of your input.

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

Reminds me of swimming under the pier.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. Cruiser

Cruiser

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I've been disqualified and called a cheat for using original ideas :mad:

So this world punishes innovators and rewards copycats

So steal away! :D

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The use of the phrase "stealing ideas" in the thread title already betrays a certain prejudice. I think the question is, is an idea in itself the sort of thing that can be stolen?

There is a growing body of opinion to the effect that things like ideas, which can be infinitely reduplicated at near zero marginal effort, cannot be owned, because creating a copy does not deprive the original possessor of the thing. The thing "owned" is not the idea but the supposed right to potentially violent state assistance in impeding the subsequent use of the idea unless one pays up, that is, intellectual highway robbery.

That said it is simple common decency to give credit where it's due.

Here are a few examples:
    http://c4ss.org/content/16043
    http://c4ss.org/content/8238
    http://c4ss.org/content/17605
    http://c4ss.org/content/17358
    http://c4ss.org/content/17227
    http://c4ss.org/content/17029

From one of them, by Thomas L. Knapp: 'By its very nature, “intellectual property” always represents an assertion on the part of one person of ownership title to the minds, bodies and property of others.'

There is a lot of good stuff on that site - including a meagre few contributions from me: take a look.

In other words, true in all contexts.

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

To quote Harry S Truman. "The only thing new is the history you don't know".

14. [QUOTE If any of you have plans, pictures, or ideas like this, please post them. Thanks again for all of your input.[/QUOTE]

Well it,s your car but all that fancy woodwork in the roof area really belongs in a woodie.

Attached Files:

• wood.jpg
      wood.jpg
      File size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
  15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think it's a perfectly good idea, but it invites a more original interpretation.

Pretentious art critics like to use the word derivative, but it means nothing more than that it's a bit too obvious where one got one's idea from, especially if it creates the impression that one is blissfully unaware that everyone can see where one got one's idea from. It isn't an ethical issue at all. It isn't really an aesthetic issue either; it's more got to do with pulling something off with style and confidence. Derivativeness can be avoided either by putting one's own spin on the idea, or by somehow giving a nod in one's execution to the person who did it before. (Pretentious types tend to take it too far, so that art ends up being about "the discourse", i.e. responses to what the last guy did, and nothing else; and thus the whole business becomes totally meaningless to people outside the in-group.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. If you give credit wherecredit is due. IE " I saw that on Bob's and thought is was a great idea. "
    I have had a few ideas copied. I have not the slightest angst if they mentio where they got it. It is the low lifes who you know copied but pretend they didnt that give one pause.
    Why? Because we each get only so many good ideas. If someone uses them but denies us our credit for it, that is a bit slimy. otherwise it is great to see your ideas getting legs.
    Don

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

it's not new, but maybe you are :)

woodies can be stunning when done (or redone) nicely,

might even look good in a non woodie if done right

[​IMG]

18. Sort of reminds me of being drunk on a wood boat! Haha

Woodies are not new & thats no secret - but a woodie interior in a coupe certainly is not common

19. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Doing something original will get you into more trouble on here than coping someone else's idea.

20. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

Found here on the H.A.M.B.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732667

The concept has been around for a long time. Use it but make it your own by using a different type of wood, like walnut or cherry, maybe with polished brass trimmings. How about if you drill speed holes in the crossbows or header panel. Use your imagination to improve the features you like and no one will accuse you of copying.
    Don't be afraid of being "original".
    [​IMG]

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Lemme get this straight.....

Stealing- OK

Cheating- You gonna burn in Hell

OK, got it...

:D

22. Your friend might have a new application but he stole the idea from all they woodie builders. HRP

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Automakers (actually artists of all art forms) have been "stealing" each others ideas from the beginning of time.

Is it a just a coincidence that cars of the same era resemble each other?

24. Bill,
    That's probably been done before. :D

How many cars have we seen on here ( A, Ts) that have the tires sticking above the deck, or how many drilled backing plates or ? ??? You name it.

I cannot imagine that your local yocal has done something that no one has ever done or tried to do. If you really want to be a nice guy just walk up to him and say, " Well geee I have never seen insert whatever here done like that before. Pretty funkin' smooth friend. Mind if I copy that?" Or jst build it and let the chips fall where they may, to quote a friend of my ol man, "who really gives a big ratz ass."

25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bikertrash: Your saying the outside of the roof is done like a boat deck? If I remember right the 1st one I saw like that was Ron Weeks "Early Times" blown '34 sedan that had that style roof in the '60s. A new idea?? If ya like it do it!

26. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Its not stealing, Its just "sharing" !

27. upspirate

upspirate

What does the outside (top) look like??

The rest has been covered enough so I didn't add my 2 cents

28. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would work a lot better in a 28-29 pickup. ooppss! was that an original idea?

29. I had been looking for a particular shade of blue to paint my truck. I had been through scads of paint chips, etc. and couldn't come up with the color that suited me. One day I am at a car show and BINGO! there is just the color I'm looking for on a car there. So I look up the owner and explain to him what I am looking for and would he mind telling me what shade of blue that is on his car. Turns out this guy is flattered that I like his color so much he tells me what color it is and even gives me the PPG paint code. Now I gotta say he lives a thousand miles from me so chances are slim that we'll be parked next to each other at another show but my point is that it never hurts to ask.

30. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

It looks like the inside of an Old Town canoe to me.