Register now to get rid of these ads!

aerostar springs for the mopar guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corvairsixtyfour, Jun 3, 2013.

1. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

so i decide to try out the aerostar springs since i heard they work on mopars, they ride so much better and go right in without any mods,i ended up cutting them 1 1/2 coils still rides really well for being how low it is, here are some pics first one is with the aerostar spring uncut and the second is with same springs but with 1 1/2 coils cut

Attached Files:

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That looks killer!!

3. n847

n847

Thanks for sharing...Looks good! Mine are still sitting in the box in the garage because I'm actually thinking about raising the front end up now, not dropping it!

4. 4woody

4woody

Thanks for posting those pics.
    I was wondering...

5. tragic59

tragic59

What year Aerostar?

6. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

i think it was for a 90 or 91 they are both same part number, moog cc850

7. tragic59

tragic59

8. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

9. SOOOO RAD!!!!

Seriously, That thing sits perfect.

nice job.

10. Slimjenkins

Slimjenkins

Did you just get the front springs with some lowering blocks for the back? I'm planning on doing this on my wayfarer. How many inches lower does the front end up?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

i got the aerostar springs in the front cut them 1 1/2 and rear im running a 2.5in lowering block with my leaf springs dearched like 6 to 7 inches, and it has a little 3in c notch and relocated shocks in the rear, and i had to redo the driveshaft tunnel. im not sure how many inches i lowered the front since i never measured it when it was stock, if you like i could measure it where it sits right now, from the top of the fender lip to the ground. im not sure how high they sit stock. thanks for all of you that like it!

12. WWinIL

WWinIL

Looks great !

same part# CC850 for any year aerostar 2WD only front coils. If you go to the moog site and look on left column for spring specs (pdf file). CC850 specs are on p. 11. I just got them for my '41 plymouth and test fitted them, will need to cut them a bit to get correct drop. I got mine on ebay-$54.19 shipped to my door.

13. Slimjenkins

Slimjenkins

Just bought some! $38!

14. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

GREAT lookin' '51, had one for over 30 years...now have a '50. Did you relocate front shocks as well? Thats my next move, possibly with spring swap out and Jeep sway-bar. Sure would like to firm up my front end a bit.

Really glad to see more older MoPars being saved.

Slimjenkins...what was your source?

Mitch hall likes this.
  15. raff23089

raff23089

Relocated front shocks on my 50 cut one loop off original front springs and put discs on made huge difference in drivability. Got front sway bar and 8 1/4 rear axle out of a Cherokee. Gonna put that stuff in soon. Love that coupe!!

16. wallyringo

wallyringo

dude that's cool I want to do that to my 55 Plymouth. My front springs were torched and now ride like shit.

17. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Does anyone know if these springs work for earlier Mopars, I have a '36 Chrysler Airstream coupe, she needs to be lower all the way around. I just ordered 3" blocks for the back from Butch's, now what to do in front?

[​IMG]

18. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

This may help -

Spring size: Inside Diameter 4.07", Bar Diameter .75", Installed Height 8.75"
    Load rating: 1825 lbs.
    One square and one tangential end

They are crazy cheap new -

http://www.google.com/search?q=moog...-US&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Amazon even has free shipping...

19. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Which end did you cut the 1 1/2 coils from, the tightly coiled side or the widely spaced side?

20. 4woody

4woody

Almost an answer: On my '38 Chrysler the original springs were tangential on both ends. When I cut a coil I had to make an adapter to allow the newly squared end to sit in the flat spring pocket that was originally made for a tangential end.

Just for reference here is tangential vs flat:
    [​IMG]

Cut from the widely spaced side.

21. hi I just posted about spring today and a hamber told me about this thread, my friend Sebastian "Seabass49" is building a 49 Coronet and we want to give a slight beefy look in the front to give it a 60's drag car look but don't want to go full on Gasser with a straight axle.

thanks

22. handlebar lou

handlebar lou

what year jeep cherokee did you get the sway bar? will you need to modify the sway bar or will it direct fit in?

23. raff23089

raff23089

Mid 90's Cherokee is about as close as I can say. The bar itself needs no mods but you need new bushings and some short end links. I checked the Energy Suspension website and I think they have the necessary parts. Finally you need to make a couple of brackets to attach it to lower control arms.

24. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

nice topic,some one posted this link over on the D24/P15 site i have a 1940 dodge coupe, with a red ram hemi, all the goodies A/C rack and pinion,,etc,,, the front coil springs are the originals i believe and were cut buy the previous owner,,well the car has been siting for various reasons and im back on it finally,,,

the orig springs have setteled,,saggged what ever you wanna call it,,,springs are almost coil bound,,, any one using this moog cc850 coil with a 40s mopar with a V8 if so what kind of suspension travel ?? or how far are the control arms from the bump stops ? mine with the sagging springs are on the bump stops,,, i may be looking for original spring specs or height and go to a fat man dropped up right,,,, the stock springs ive found on line are pretty pricey 250 a set ive seen,, any ideas ?? thanks in advance,,,

25. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

Hi guys! My first project is going to be a 49 Special Deluxe. I've ordered the Aerostar springs from Summit at $47 and change. Also a 3" block kit for the rear. Bit sure ill drop it that much in the rear. I'm going for the hot rod rake look and really not excited about tackling driveshaft clearance issues until I've had time to drive it a bit.
    Shock relocation will likely happen right off the bat along with the larger sway bar and disc brake conversion from Scarebird.
    Questions:
    I've revued the tech post in this subject. When determining vertical positioning of the upper shock mounts, I know it says it depends on your ride height. I'll have the new springs in and possibly cut by an inch. My old shocks are bad. Will I have an accurate height with the shocks disconnected?
    Had anyone used the shock relocation kit available online? The price doesn't look bad at all with new shocks included.
    With the Cherokee bar swap, will I need new mount holes in the frame or will the brackets line up with existing mount holes?
    Thanks in advance for your input!

26. 4woody

4woody

The old shocks don't need to be in there at all to get the ride height.

What shock relocation kit are you talking about? If you post a link I might have an opinion for you.

27. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

28. 4woody

4woody

29. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

Thanks man! Yeah Those frames are really thin. Were they trying to be lightweight for fuel economy or was steel in short supply after The war?

30. BurlyMan

BurlyMan

Installing the Moog CC850s now. one of the insulators was trashed due to a weak spring in the passenger side. Not having any luck finding them.
    May be changing my plans to accommodate a sb chevy. Does anyone have pictures if their motor mounts?
    Might leave the fenders off for a while to experiment with the rat rod look. Don't see many Special deluxe rat rods. Maybe there's a reason. We shall find out. Top needs chopped I think. Vent glasses would be a challenge.