Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you a outcast in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Apr 7, 2013.

1. i don't have enough people in my neighborhood to be an outcast. i live in a new nighborhood and we probably have just over 20 houses, but that number rises almost weekly. ive stayed quiet but when that truck fires up for the first time ill be noticed. just remember its the cool people that don't mind your hot rodding.

2. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I am the only one in my neighborhood so I guess that I am an outcast.

My nearest neighbor is over 200 yards away so as long as I'm not hitting his house with shrapnel I'm golden.

3. Marty S1

Marty S1

Being an outcast doesn't require loud cars or bikes.

Try being a "Transplanted Yankee" in my neck of the woods!!:D

4. Nah...they just think I'm the crazy old man in the gray house with old cars......until they need a bicycle painted or a pedal car welded. I always oblige for free. And I keep my "future projects", molasses bath, teardrop trailer and junk behind a privacy fence.
    We get invited to the neighborhood kids graduations, 4th of July celebrations, etc etc and when we take vacation, the neighbors collect our mail and papers daily...watch the house for us and when we had a dog, they'd feed and "water" her for us...we'd always return the favor.
    I'd always wait 'till mid day to fire off a new engine or run the grinder. No use pissing off the people in the 'hood. That's totally counter productive to living a pleasant life in a crowded neighborhood.

5. Dale, You should move next door! LOL I have a new kid and am barely allowed to go to my shop a few towns over more than 1 night a week, We are looking at building one at home though, so I can always be there. Most of our neighbors are cool with me, and my loud bikes/cars, but I feel they hate our dogs sometimes.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

A good dog who not an incessant barker but who sounds the alarm only when there's a need is of great value to a whole neighborhood.
    But if he's like the Bassett Hound one of my neighbors owns and howls and bays any time he's awake, over and over again, like clockwork. I'm over 100 yds. from him, thru heavy vegetation and hear him inside the house, and a friend another 100 yds. away can easily hear from his yard. Then my friend you have a PITA.
    But in the case of my friend further out, he isn't close enough for the sound to disturb him. Me, I let it go because the dog's owner is the business customer of a business owned by my son.
    So "Don't shit where you sleep" is a double-edged sword that can be as counterproductive to the complainer as to the complainee!!!!!!

7. so its about a month and half later. how about an update? how is the neighborhood?

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I don't give a rat's arse what my neighbors think of my obsessions, but a rule to live by is don't shit in your own bed like rats do. Just do what you expect your neighbors to do to you. I always get the "thumbs up" from my neighbors living that way. When I see them at the country store at the bottom of the canyon they comment about the cool "old cars" I roll up in.

9. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Don't use grinders or air tools after 10 pm.... My old neighbors also hated the fact my roommate worked for the sheriffs dept and every time they called it would turn into a pow-wow and not a ticket party... Don't be an ass, if you build it they will come or be total prudes but that's their loss and bmw's gain.

10. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

We recently moved out to the country to get away from the city and trade it for some acreage, and just happened to end up in a gated community just because the location was ideal.
    I was really hesitant to pull the trigger on the place because I was worried the homeowners association would not dig my hobbies and I'd be the pariah of the area, but it turns out that every other guy out here is into old cars.
    Theres a guy with a custom mercury, another with a woodie, another with a full fendered 32, another with a 34 roadster, somebody with a collection of old Chrysler 300s, an old dude who lives for model As and also mid-50s F100s, somebody has a 53 chevy and a guy who's into cafe racers.
    The president of the homeowners assoc. has his own paved go-cart road race track on his property, and everybody is super cool.
    I was just looking to find a place with a bigger garage, but lucked into finding a place with a huge shop for no more money than we had been planning to spend just to get a place with a bigger garage.
    Lucked out big time.

Attached Files:

11. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Better move, it probably won't improve! I'm in the country, 8 acres, hope I never have to go back to town!

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I like the biker's "code"..... "Hold the noise down,...In your own 'hood". My 72 F100 has the nastiest sounding cherry bombs ever,....but, no one had complained since the mid 70's. It must be a good "rule", because all my neighbors are cool.

4TTRUK

13. wizzard23

wizzard23

They are just wearing their "bad boy" costumes!

14. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Get a friend to dress up as a priest and visit on regular basis,this way the stickybeeks may think your an''OK'' person afterall !

15. plymouth52

plymouth52

Hello Sir/Mam.

By decree of Your HOA you are currently Violation of a Dirty Garage. Your garage is to be kept spotless. Unlike most of the community, you have left Cars, & we don't what you call that car; a Mouserooder?

It is our business is telling our Owners where to park or how to use your garage.

There are NO VISITOR parking spots & and no parking on the streets. You get ONE parking tag. You are FORCED to ask you guests to park legally.

We suggest you repaint the Garage BLUE. So that it matches everyone else's on Blue Block. Updating the colors is not permitted Please improve the value for everyone!!!

In any case, you are obviously an shifty character and should be reported to the Police for your many Infractions of HOA policies

16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Same happened with me...once the neighbors find out that you can help them out with their cars you become a valuable asset.

17. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Seems about 90% solid advice, loaded with wisdom and experience.

Then there's the other 10% from those suffering from ego-induced, look-at-me-I'm-a-total-badass-itis.

To them I can only wish the Hell's Angels move in next door.

18. Just because you may like something, it doesn't mean you should force it on your nieghbors. I always try to be nice to my neighbors. Even the ones I wish would move. I have been in my neighborhood since 1987 and have never got any complaints about noise, music, etc. Now my drunnken alcoholic neighbor just installed a stereo in his shed and cranks it up all the time and all I hear is Boom Boom booooooooom boom booom. . I like music, we actually play in my barn and have heard from neighbors that they like it!!! Most of my neighbors have Hotrods. Just on my street with 10 houses we have all my cars (11) 1929 Hemi powered Whippet 3 window coupe, 1936 5 window Ford, a Harley, bBB Convert Vette, 3 1968 Firebirds etc etc.., 3 neighbors have Harleys, a, 1931 Ford hotod truck, a 1953 Merc, a 1969 Chevelle, A Volvo P1800, a 1953 Custom Chevy, a 1947 Buick custom, a 1957 Buick Road master and a 1960s pick up. The next street also have a bunch of car guys , 1966 Big Block Convertible Chevelle 4 sp, an 800 hp Corvette Convert, a 428 1927 Model T, 1968 Cougar, an old truck, a 1951 total custom truck, etc etc etc. This is only a couple blocks. Theres a bunch of others also. We live in a 100 house developement all on 1+ acres. Theres also a couple old Impala's, a 1967 Camaro, a 1973 455 Trans Am. It seems that every second house has some kind of cool car of interest. It really is amazing!!!!

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  19. Hot rodders and HOAs are not friends. My mom once got an HOA "nasty note" because she was outside watering her flowers and the phone rang. She went inside to answer it, set the hose down to continue watering while she was on the phone, the HOA nazi drove by at the perfect time. She got a notice that hoses are to be kept rolled up unless in use by the owner :confused:

20. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I did a big ole burnout in the garage (it pretty big) nabby called the fire dept all the smoke was gone when they got here door closed no windows all done

21. Wanderer1957

Wanderer1957

The same thing happened to me years ago. I fired a car up one day and started revving it. Witin minutes, I saw a guy walking up my driveway. I thought he came to bitch me out. Turned out he lived behind me and wanted to find out who had the hot motor. The next door neighbor soon followed. By the end of summer they both had cars and were always over at my house either lending a helping hand or I was helping them. It was great!

22. trollst

trollst

I moved into my first house, all my "buddies" helped us move, scared the living shit out of the neighbours, none even talked to me, lotsa finger pointing. Over time, I fixed more bar stools and lawn mowers than a man can tolerate, 25 years later tears flowed when we moved far away to the country. Some of my old neighbours keep in touch still, but we did have a good time. Lots of first time out of the shop burns down the street, usually the lawn chairs came out to watch the test and tune, and hopefully get a free ride, which were given freely. Ever take a really old gal for a ride in a brand new build T bucket with open headers? She loved every noisy second, even got her on my harley, she'd never been on a bike.
    Now I live in the country, I can run around everywhere with open headers, I'm the go to guy, I have always treated my neighbours with respect, in turn I get it back, BUT, there has been the odd time I've been a complete friggin jerk to the neighbour who needed it, realising that he was a pain to everyone else, great way to make brownie points cause most people don't have the guts to do that.
    Bottom line, you gotta live there, might as well fit in or die a slow death till they force you to move......

23. I do the occasional pass/burnout down the street. It is hard to sneak out at 4a.m. to go to work in the sedan with open headers. Turns out the neighbor who always informs me of city code never hears me leave. He complains counsels me every now and then and something silly like parking across the sidewalk, parking facing the wrong direction or haveing too many cars in the drive. Overall we get along good though.

24. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Not yet, but I'm working on it!
    Funny thing is, it's more my attitude towards my neighbors than anything else.
    I'm becoming the "grumpy" old man in the neighborhood!
    Their clueless and getting worse.
    KK

25. A welder will indeed make you popular , a beer fridge in the garage is a definite asset .

26. When I first moved from country to city, I didn't quite know what to expect. But whatever it was I expected, it wasn't what happened.

I moved in 30 years ago December. I'm STILL the new kid on the block. My neighbors tolerate me, but I am almost never asked to assist with anything. They know I have only old cars and newer motorcycles, but they really don't care. No one has ever just 'stopped by' to talk.

I have a full woodworking and partial metalworking shop in my garage, yet no one asks to have anything repaired.

I have built numerous cars, repaired more, and have passed over 100 motorcycles through the garage, but no one ever asks after anything.

As I've posted, I also never, ever by new parts unless I am absolutely forced. Yesterday, I spliced a control cable for my mower, rather than buy new.

Now, it's NOT that I'm an asshole, I give away more artwork than I'll ever sell, I'll give the shirt off my back to anyone who needs it, and I never refuse anyone assistance (I've the subdural hematoma to prove it, from 4 weeks back).

Sometimes I wish that someone WOULD stop by, just to disprove my theory that everyone is lazy as fuck, but it ain't happening, they're all lazy as fuck.

The only (best) advice I was ever given when I moved in was: make sure the neighbors know you're crazy, then they'll leave your shit alone.
    So, I ride motorcycles all year 'round. Went to Madison, WI January first (high temp, 10º, t'was but 5º when I left home). Rode sidecars like snowmobiles, which is a LOT of fun, right up until you roll one. :/ And, of course, I currently own nothing newer than 1961, which my wife drives. Note that I said 'crazy' not 'assholey'. There's a difference, riding a quiet M/C in the snow really doesn't bother anyone. But it DOES make you look a bit 'off'.

You could only hope that your new 'hood is as quiet as mine.

Oh, yeah, since I booted my hillbilly (W. VA) ex, the cops have never been called.

Cosmo

P.S. Welder (2), beer (enough) still not making me popular with the crowd 'round here.

27. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Stay low key...
    Jay

28. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

I was the black sheep of my old neighborhood.
    The next door lady was a crazy b$tch.
    She called the cops a few times for loud exhaust and old cars and such.
    Then one day her old boyfriend met her new boyfriend and started beating him with a bat in there front yard.
    I came running out my house and yelled stop or I will shoot you, he stopped looked up and said FU. I put two slugs in the ground next to his feet,
    he ran to his car and peeled out as quick as he could.

My crazy next door lady was now introducing me as the angel of the neighborhood
    never called to complain on me again

29. Im the outcast. More of the odd duck. Im probably the only one who is debt free. Im the only one that drives decades old vehicles. My nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away buy In right on the highway at a bust intersection. I constantly shift my junk around back and forth . Today I mowed the yard I let the cattle sheep & goats graze it down. Had to sit outside drinking beer and watch to keep them from destroying the rosebushes flowers & shrubs. The grass along the highway right of way was over two feet high. the state came by and mowed it. So I took my 1944 M Farmall and New Holland 273 square baler and bailed it for hay. No one has complained to my face.They all pretty much ignore me ( Maybe im being shunned? lots of folks slow down and gawk as they drive past. I think the 6 ft chain link fence adorned with no tresspassing signs and the sign in my avatar makes some folks leery. I dont really care what anyone thinks. Im pretty much indifferent . I can honestly state that if everyone was like me we wouldnt need police courts lawyers food stamps or someone to pick up the litter :) Old Wolf

30. Ive got a little mean stud pony and a jenny burro. they hate dogs and cats. they have stomped the life out of many free roaming dogs cats &coyotes. They even killed my beagle hound:eek: They stay with my main cattle herd to keep them safe. I really enjoy hearing the burro bray at daylight every morning.:)