Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy 210 firewall mounted brake boosters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sweeden, Jun 3, 2013.

1. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

i see some people are using s-10 boosters is this a pretty simple solution and dose anyone have pics of their firewall mounted boosters? Dose someone make a universal booster that would be a pretty decent solution to the problem?

2. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Try Speedway I believe they have the under floor mounted brake setup

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. ECI underr floor conversion. I have one in mine and it works fine.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

5. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

well my issue with the under floor ones is that were in the middle of cutting that cross member out because its not letting the car lay frame evenly so it be easier for me to just go with a firewall mounted one id think?

6. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

that 399 setup from waltons aint bad at all beats the shit out of the 600 everyone else wants for a power kit

7. Junkyard. Late model hanging pedal assembly, small booster from S10 or 80s Camaro. Drill four holes and alter the rear edge to meet the dash or otherwise be supported. It's all hidden, it doesn't have to be super pretty.

Chevy G-van pedals offer some offset if you need to move it over, and have a small box you can just run a couple of bars off from to meet the lower dash rail.

I was going to put a '55 Chevy pedal bracket in mine, just because I had one, but sold it first.

8. 53choptop

53choptop

This is on my buddy Scott's 53. Its a Walton kit.

Attached Files:

9. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

pretty simple? Looks pretty good is he running disc/drum?

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

on my 53 wagon I had an under floor set up (7"booster and master cylinder). Mine was very low so I had a skid pad (if not i would have tore it out). this time I did the swing pedal on my 51

I just installed a Walton Mfg kit on my 51. it is a nice kit. I think you can get it with or without the booster (so brackets only)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

53chop, can we see more of that turbo set up (in a 49-54 chevy??

12. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

thanx for the pics boones... waltons gonna be my way to go!

13. Tin Can

Tin Can

I have an s10 booster in mine. I welded a 16 guage or so plate over the hole where I wanted to mount it, drilled the 5 holes after figuring out where I wanted the pedal to be and fabed a bracket to attach the pedal mount out of the s10 from the firewall to the dash. I put a chrome vette master on it instead of the plastic master from the s10 though.

14. Tin Can

Tin Can

someone had a plate riveted on the drivers side when I bought the car so I ended up almost making a new firewall for the car

Attached Files:

15. pixelmonkey

pixelmonkey
    from Oklahoma

to save some space, you might want to consider a hydroboost setup from a full size. line runs from the power steering to power the brake boost and requires 1/2 the space of the vac can booster.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

16. While the Walton kit looks very well designed those firewall mounted booster/mcs just look like ass.

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Cant beat factory stuff. I have used S10, 3rd-4th gen F body, and G body dual diaphragm boosters and they all worked fine. Differences between them can be used to your advantage depending on how much room you have. S10 mounts flush to the firewall straight on, G body mounts flush to the firewall at an angle (have to make an angled mount on the firewall for it to work) and the F body mounts straight on but is spaced from the firewall with a bracket.
    Check my 47 cadillac build post to see what the G body one looks like, stops that big car in a hurry with no issues.

18. HellzBelle54

HellzBelle54
    from FL

Man, this is the issue of the day buddy lol. I am going over the same stuff. I think I am going to need the firewall booster but I agree with Tman too...they are fuckin ugly! I might try and think up a little pocket with the skid plate idea to incorporate in the new Xmember I am making to make it work under the car.

Although, that chrome job shown a few pics up looks good too...shit who knows?

19. roddinron

roddinron

If your goal is to "lay frame", just do away with the booster. I used a corvette master under mine without a booster, with front discs and rear drums, and it stops fine.

20. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

lol yea im not there yet i just found that once i got that x member outta there i was fucked on brakes and figured id look into it now... i think the chrome ones a bit to "bling bling" for me but one of them black deals may just do the trick from waltons. it dosent look award winning but i do like that it mounts to the factory wall with a decent little braket.