Register now to get rid of these ads!

AC Compressor oil question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildearp, Jun 2, 2013.

1. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I have an SD508 style compressor from Southern air. Does the compressor have oil in it already or should I add oil when charging the system?

This is going in my '48 Ford right now.

Back to the garage..........I will check in a bit later.

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Mine had oil in it from Southern air... I bought the Superfrost system....

Try not to turn it upside down..... Should have oil in it...

When assembling use a little compressor oil on the green O-rings for lube, You wont contaminate the system and you wont rip them...

You could call them as well to confirm, they are super helpfull

3. I was told by an a/c guy to check the oil PERIOD. I installed several an got by with it. I checked one not to long ago and it was low,low ,low. Take a glass measure cup from the wife's kitchen. Open the compressor up and pour the oil into it. Wait a while and do it again. Get all out you can. Read the amount of oil you have collected. Now I have forgotten the correct. Amount? One and a half ounces comes to mind. They seem to vary in the amounts. I checked with another installer and said never assume it has the correct amount. I'll find out the correct amount tomorrow and edit this long winded post.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have never checked the oil level on OEM compressors I have instakked or the Sanden compressors I have installed on Rods, and never have had any problems at all. Not to say that a compressor could be shipped without oil in it. The whole systen should have more that just what is in the compressor though. I can't remember what the figure is for the condensor and the evaporator

5. birdman42

birdman42

Rule of thumb is 2 oz per major component.That will give you a total of 8 oz.l

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

Best bet is to pour it out in a measuring cup or use tequila shot glasses as I have done, since a standard U.S. shot is 1.5 ounces.

Once you know how much oil is in the compressor,go ahead and factor that into your total system volume.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

The entire rest of the system is Vintage air. They say no additional oil is required besides what is in the compressor. They ship their compressors with oil. I got a cheaper one, so now I pay............

Got the entire system installed, plumbed, hosed, crimped. It is time for beers. I will purge and charge it tomorrow.

Thanks folks!!! Gotta put a hot 1400 miles on it this weekend. The weekend starts Wednesday morning.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I understand your post, you bought a system from Vintage Air, but got the compressor from Southern Air, correct? Normally the compressors are shipped with an oil charge.

Now for the important question: Is the oil that came in the compressor compatible with the refrigerant you will be using? Most compressors will have a tag on them stating oil charge and type of refrigerant that is to be used.

9. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Yes, R134 system, compressor, fittings, and PAG oil.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a plug on the side, I thought you just filled through the ports. It really was that simple, I removed the plug and poured it into a measuring cup. Plenty of oil.

Purge and charge and I my truck is now a meat locker!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013