Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Lookin good Brian, clean OT dually! The camper IS bad ass

2. Patrick46

Patrick46

[​IMG]

The Longhorns are classic!

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Haha, thanks guys. The camper is in remarkably good shape, considering it sat outside the past several years. This is usually the death knell for stick built campers, slide-in or bumper pull, and this thing has so many goofy panels, joints and seams it can't help but leak.

There's a little water damage at the front windows, no rot, but the very thin vinyl covering on the ceiling and front panels is loose, revealing the tempered Masonite used for paneling. The plywood bed platform is delaminated under the mattress, but not rotten, a little epoxy and some drywall screws should "fix" that.

The truck is pretty cool, although I'd rather have a '65 GMC like my Dad had when I was a kid. This one's a 19,000 mile original I've owned for 30 years. 454, 400 turbo, 4.10s, work truck rubber mats and plaid vinyl seat. It rides MUCH better with the camper in the back!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hard to pick a favorite between your two rigs! I like 'em both.

Brian

5. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Here's a short video of my setup...

1961 Studebaker Lark (SBC) and 1958 Scotty camper serial number 2, oldest surviving Scotty Sportsman.

Watch Video

6. `50 Spartanette

`50 Spartanette

volvobrynk
    the wb is 232 " , the "sleeper" is 124"... she is 96" wide
    interior is still unfinished, but it has 4 leather seats, a bench/bed, a crapper/sink as well as a fridge
    the sleeper is actually a integral part of the cab (sitting on a shared air suspended sub-frame)
    the chassis is from a 1989 IH medium duty truck
    i wanted something "traditional vintage" locking to tow my `50 spartan trailer,
    but i do travel a lot of long distance so it needed "modern" comfort
    (as in power steering, assisted disc brakes, air suspension, air cab, etc :p )

here are two more pics i made today ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Speaking of campers just finished a major restoration of the wood on the camper both inside and structure wise. Took three months and hundreds of hours to keep the camper looking original but upgrading and improving for a long life. Now it's for sale and ready to hit the road. Need to sell it to start my "First Love Project". See my ad here in the classified. PM me if interested.
    [​IMG]

8. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

There's a real nice '56 Ford RV on San Francisco Craigslist right now. Looks like a high-quality conversion from the '60s:
    [​IMG]
    Looks very nice inside, like it was well cared for.
    (Mods: hope it's OK to just post this photo, I won't post the link.)

9. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

camper...

Attached Files:

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I like it. If you use it, then might as well make is comfortable and accommodating.

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That would be awesome seeing that many tin cans in one spot !

They look great together !

Slick setup . If it was black & white video (and no OT cars , of course) , you'd thing that video was shot many moons ago .

12. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is so mean looking. I love it.

13. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Here's a still from a campout we did last year, everything is vintage down to the cooler and luggage.

[​IMG]

14. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

56 and 56 1.jpg

56 and 56 3.jpg
    This is my 1956 Chevy and 1956 Dalton canned ham. Have matching Cragars and new tires on the way

15. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Both are great!

16. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I understand the whole thought on the new style windows but it really kills the vintage look without them. If you go thru the trouble of "restoring the original windows they do hold up for quite a few years, you just need to do regular service to them (like every other year). 25 years ago I worked in the RV industry and we had quite a few customers with old units (they weren't "vintage" yet back then.) The trick to keeping away the water damage was regular window and door service and either keeping them indoors or shrink wrapped during the winter season.

17. oddcraig

oddcraig

Could it be the road chief?

Attached Files:

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yup, same thing with historical buildings.

19. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's a good pic !

22. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Many years ago I found this '51 Royal Spartanette at an estate auction in a park in El Monte, and talked my former boss into rescuing it for $100.00 and hauling it to Joshua Tree:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Despite the five coats of paint it was decent inside with very little water damage.
    Unfortunately some stupid kids torched it:mad::
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I salvaged the one good taillight and hooked it up to a 6-volt charger, and it still lit up... oh well...:(

23. Patrick46

Patrick46

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.......WTH???!!!!

that did not deserve to end like that!!! :(

24. here's my 1962 CREE, 3/4 ton chevy cab and chassis, factory built. it had a 327 3spd on the col.i put many miles on it. i still miss it.

Attached Files:

25. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Here is my Fiesta Kamper from Colton California, I traded a seized 239 to a friend for it a few years back, I've posted it before but I am still trying to find more info on it like the year and production numbers.

It's a fiberglass shell, gas light and 12 volt electrics inside, fridge and 3 burner stove.

Used it for the very first time this weekend at a local car show in my brothers work in progress 57 Mercury M100, I'm really enjoying it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. khead47

khead47

Few shots from last weekends Cars R Stars show at the old Packard Proving Grounds.

Attached Files:

27. 3window31

3window31
    from AZ

I have a 63 Kencraft fiberglass. The sides are aluminum, the top, front and back is fiberglass. It has a burch wood interior. I was looking for a small Airstream when I found it. Everything works in it. I have all the emblems that were put on it from the factory. I found a set of original hubcaps for it. Previously I had a Serro Scotty that I put a set of M/T torq thrust wheel on. The wheels went with the Scotty otherwise they would be on the Kencraft. I will post some picture when I make enough post.

28. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

You guys are killing me. I would love an old smaller sized airstream to pull around...

29. Just took mine out this past weekend, couple days at the MN Dunes felt good.
    46 KIT with 47 fenders

By far the smallest camper in the State park. I think I saw a few tents that were bigger, but not nearly as cool looking.

Attached Files:

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  30. Bull

Bull

Our KIT (Bubba Built) Memorial Weekend in Washburn, WI on the edge of a bluff overlooking Lake Superior.
    [​IMG]

The side tent (by CampInn) is great for changing clothes. Give a place for the dog to sleep too. Added a lot of utility for us.
    [​IMG]