Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury Front Fenders When Using Camaro Front Clip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ricardo_rocha, May 27, 2013.

1. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Fellow Hambers,

I come back here to ask your help once more...Im installing a 1975 Camaro front Clip into my 1951 Mercury,,,Thats working just fine...My only concern is about the work I should do to fit that and my new tires (Firestone 700-15) into the stock Mercury Front Fenders...The Merc is air bagged and when it is down the tires will touch the fenders inside...What should I do and How????

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. couvy

couvy

Check out crazylegs build. He made new inner fenders without the fresh air ducts for tire clearance. Couvy

3. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

my .02
    i think that's not your only problem your facing, i think that year sub frame has the steering box up front which means it's in your grill. i think pre 73 is the sub frame you need to solve that problem. fix that first then worry about mounting your fenders.

4. mikes51

mikes51

where are the photos? bagged without dropped spindles? tires leaning in at top hitting fender? too much guessing, pics?

5. Ricardo you should have no tire the outer fender lip issue as i have installed over 3 dozen of these clips with bags. I think your tires might be slightly to tall and might be hitting on the upper backside of the inner fender well but only when slammed. If that's the issue it a fairly easy mod to do.

Erickson / Extreme Kustoms
    951 678-3520

6. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Thanks a lot Couvy...I will check it out for sure...Thank you once more!!!

7. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

I will take a look on that...Thanks ;)

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have already solved most of the problems that guys have installing that clip on a 49/51 Merc so the only real issue is tire clearance.

What size are those front tires as they look huge in the photo and that is probably most of the problem. They look like L 78 to me.

If the tire is rubbing the inner fender you will have to rework the inner fenders or make new ones. You will loose the fresh air ducts in the process and those are a lot of the ventilation in those cars going down the road in hot weather.

9. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Erickson,

I've been looking to your cars And I really aprecciate the results You achieve...Im looking forward to have that kind of looks...Im really interested in your processes if you can tell me a litle bit more...

10. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

I will try to post some more pictures...

11. FYI. There's tons of room for a front steer on these cars. No issues with interfering sheet metal at all.

12. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Some lateral pics just to analize the size of the tires...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

14. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

15. Thanks Ricardo, There are a few ways to fix the inner fender well to a tall tire. 1 is make custom inner fender wells. 2 is to mod the stock inner fender wells. With the stock inner fender wells on slammed cars you will need to remove the air duct to clear the upper arms. The tires usally do not hit the air duct with a 2nd gen stub when slammed unlike the stock king / link pin IFS and M11 as the tires lean in and do not with the camaro. It's kind of hard to put into words so here are a few examples of some big tall tired slammed merc's .

The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms
    951 678-3520

Attached Files:

16. Ricardo your rear 4 bar frame pivot mounts look to be welded directly to the inner frame without any reinforcment plates bettwen them and the frame. If that's what it looks like they will break lose from the frame in no time. The frame is just to thin to weld the brackets directly on and i have seen way to many broken off the monkey see monkey do 4 link kits and especialy on the triangeled 4 links like yours.

The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms
    951 678-3520

17. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

We started by the 2 door transformation and still do not touch the front...that's why the questions...Here some pics of both, front and rear endings...

[​IMG]

18. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

19. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Erickson,

You are right... that picture was taken a long time ago...That four link set up was being done yet...I will try to post a picture later to show you how it is done right now...This feedback has been very important to this project...thanks for the comments...I also would apreciate if you can post some pics ilustrating what You are saying....

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  20. mikes51

mikes51

21. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

22. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

Wow, that's a good looking conversion! Any more pics of the conversion and chop in progress??

23. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Im preparing a thread about that very soon!!! Glad you like it!!!

24. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

Excellent, I'll be watching for your thread ;)

25. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

26. Nice updates. Your tires are huge seems to me you need some custom inner fender well work. Nice chop on that '51

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never quite understood the concept of working your butt off to lower a Merc and then put the monster 7.00 tires on it and have to fight them. My old 51 had 6.50's on the front and 7.10's on the back when I bought it in 1963 and as it was lowered I couldn't get the 7.10 tires in or out of the wheel well without letting the air out.

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am looking forward to this a well .

29. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Hehehehehehe I totally understand you...I guess we have here a Clash of generations...This is all about the looks we are used to see around us...about what we think is beautiful or not...but I totally agree with You that it does not look something reasonable And I guess it is not...This is about culture I guess And also about personal taste...I respect you a lot because when I look to your profile I see you had a Mercury back in 1963 when I not even was born And Im sure you have much more experience than me...I hope you can appreciate my project on the future when I post the progress pictures...lets see...