Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Ford F100 project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by split51, May 6, 2013.

1. 4444Design

4444Design

clean build so far

lookin' forward to the updates

2. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

Getting the rearend together. I just need rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

Great year truck! Your kicking ass on the build time to boot. Are you painting the truck body also? Or leaving it in it's current patina?

4. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

I am going to leave the body as is. The only thing i am going to do to the body is a small amount of rust repair in the floor and one front cab mount.

5. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

Cool, I was hoping you we're gonna leave it in the current paint. It's hard to find them that way. That's gonna be sweet!

6. Man, that is going to be a sick truck.

7. bonesy

bonesy

Sweet looking '57.

8. Nice project.

Walt

9. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

That is a great truck. Subscribed.

10. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

1 step foward and 2 steps back today. My goal was to finish up the rear axle, get it rolling and set the engine today.
    Well, i got the brakes together and went to install the drums. I used 68 backing plates, drums and hardware only to find out there is a 3/8" difference and will not fit. Although the 57 & 68 are overall the same width, the 68 housing is narrower with the axle flange sticking out a little further from the bearing so when i installed the backing plates on the 57 rear, the drums bottom out on the backing plate before seating.
    So now, i am going to have to clean the 68 housing up, paint it and install it to keep the bigger brakes unless someone here knows of another bigger brake that will work.

And before i get reamed, i realized the shoes were on backwards after the pic was taken.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  11. I really like what your doing ... question, are you gonna c-notch the chassis ? ... now is the time to do it. Again, looking good.

12. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

No, i am not going to c-notch the frame. I am not going to lower it the far. It will be about the tops of the wheel wells to the top of the whitewalls which should leave about 4"-5" of travel. Plus, i dont care to cut a hole in the bed for the center section to clear.

13. blue57ford

blue57ford

My dad is facing a similar situation concerning the backing plate issue. He says that you have to use axles from a 68-72 truck. They're the same length but the bearing is in a different position. Given that they both have the same spline count. PM 63feuni. Thats my dad. He's not on everyday but he'll get it.

14. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

I thought about that but figured it wouldn't put enough of the splines in the carrier.

15. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

Got thru my brake/axle problem today, chased a few gremlins with the Chinese front wheel bearings but got the chassis back on its feet today.
    I had to change the front bearings and races to some brazil (old stock from my fathers old farm equipment dealership) Tempkin brand to cure my problem in the disc brake kit. I couldnt get the rotors to tighten down. The problem were the chinese races were thinner, letting the bearings set deeper in the race. That caused the outer bearing to bottom out on the taper of the spindle before getting the rotors "tight".
    Tomorrow, if its not raining, i am going to set the engine to get the mounts bolted in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  16. I can't wait til the day I can redo my frame that nice!

17. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

Got the engine set in place to mount the front mounts. Still trying to get a S10 trans w/ mechanical speedo for the tailshaft. I have the engine on a stand now to paint it.

[​IMG]

18. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Looking good, 57 was the best year for the big three American trucks as a whole. Ford was definitely ahead of its time with this Boxier styling truck. Ford pulled it off nicely. IMO when the 58 dodge's and 60 chevy's came out with similar stylings they just didn't pull it off as well.

Im also glad to hear you didn't put a Belly Button SB Chevy in it. Good choice!

19. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Nice, is that a local truck? '57 trucks were BAD about rusting out, but your's has minimal rot!

20. Nice work ! Gonna be one cool truck when its done

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

22. blucarspeed

blucarspeed
    from oregon

great looking work and truck. I did one of these 4 or 5 years ago. I wasn't going to paint it either but couldn't stop.

Attached Files:

23. Very nice work on it so far... Can't wait to see the finished product.

24. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

Not much lately, i have been working on getting a new building built.
    About all I have got done since the last post is the engine painted and my transmission converted over to an S10 tail housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Texas62

Texas62
    from Tejas

57s . Best fridge they made in my opinion

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  26. Need to hear more about this!

27. Ever get done?