Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the coolest old car you've seen in a junkyard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 28, 2012.

1. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

1982, three cars stacked, just the bodies 32 Ford 5 window, 35 chev 3 window and a 40-41 willys. I was building a 35 Chev at the time and bought all the sheet metal that went to the car in the stack for $200. Was told the 32 was not for sale but the willy's was $400. No thanks I said. This was in Fillmore or Santa Paula Calif.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. I purchased a 57 Ford Convertible no motor or trans from troups creek auto in troupsberg new york for 300 had a 1967 new york registration last time driven in 1967, put a 292 auto in it and sold it for 3000 to a fellow in new zealand this yard had tons of old cars still in business as far as I know

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

1974 or so I'm perusing my local yard for 202 heads, Holleys and such. I see a pale yellow '65 Chevelle coupe, hoods open. Looks stock on the outside, no mags, etc.. I peer under the hood, BBC, also appears stock, no aftermarket parts. Can't use big block parts so I continue on. Later in life I learned about the Z16 option. Was it one? Guess I'll never know.

4. 2tone52

2tone52
    from california

5. Salvage yard auction a few weeks ago.

'37 Buick Special old hot rod, big hole cut in the firewall for a V8, SW gauges in the speaker grille, leaf spring rear cobbed in, solid body. Guy got it for $400 for "yard art" ...

Out back a '49 Ford F1 panel went to scrap that was pretty solid. I didn't bid because I was waiting for stuff in the last two rows - that they decided not to sell. $400 again took it. Nothing super special here but a few HAMB-friendly project cars up front and a lot of rotty parts cars out back.

Was crap out there from the mid-20s up. I took pictures of a not for sale '51 Ford school bus that had belonged to the Army.

6. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

1955 Nomad missing engine & tranny/ 1950 Mercury 2 door set on top of the Nomad !!
    1968 located in Pacific,Mo.

LOOOOOONG GONE, except the memory,or should I say "NIGHTMARE" :eek:

7. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I've seen several 1938-40 Ford convertibles, an Biancachini, an oooooold Tatra, a Muntz, old Vettes, tons and tons of A's, but never a 32 Ford.

8. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Diaz salvage newport ar....37 ford pickup...50 big window ford pu...couple kaisers ... 3 big 50s mercs .... Went baxk a week after the earthquake in china that zhut their steel export down...... All CRUSHED....big merc grill all smashed in a tall pillar of old tin cars stacked like firewood. I felt like I was gone puke

9. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Mint 36 Ford coupe back in 1960 with no engine and I bought it for $75. Running perfect mint 40 ford 2 door sedan with rebuilt Sears flathead in it for $75. Put in a friends moms back yard when I went in the service in 65 and never saw either one again when I got out. It had the perfect red primer showing thru patina too on factory green paint and perfect mohair interior. Still pisses me off !

10. oj

oj

I met a guy at the NHRA reunion in bowling green a few years back. his son need a door to a barracuda they were doing and went to the junkyard and came back with a perfect door that had lettering on it. the old man got interested and they went back and got the rest of an original hemicuda afx'r or early funnycar-ish that had been setting in the woods. It was a complete car and they had it on display with a sign asking if anybody recognized it. I looked back thru my pics to see if i had a pic of it from the reunion but didn't. It was an incredible find. Mybe somebody o here saw and took a pic of it. That was the year we inducted the Ramchargers and they had the High and Mighty restored and on display. I was there representing Justice Bros.

11. cavman

cavman

As old as I am, I have seen far more cool cars in junk yards than I can remember, but a few I recall... A small yard in N.D. that had 7 or 8 40's Willys cpes, a yard in S.D. with a customized '55 Chev conv.(w/56 Packard t-lites) A yard in Winner S.D. with a whole row of 51 Merc cpes, one with a factory vinyl roof. Closer to home, a '56 corvette, 2 fours, PG, PW, 2 tops, a 66 corvette, one of the early ones with a 450 hp 427. (I bought both) and still at another local yard, a Black w/Gold stripes, and small 1/4 windows, early Mustang cpe. Nomads......my Dad and I got 2 of 'em for chump change in the late 60's. $15. :) There are many more.......

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  12. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

Cavman was that 55 conv. plumb colored ? i,ve been tracking one for many years...

13. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

This was in Hampton, Va. 1971, in a private yard/junkyard at an abondoned family farm residence. A white early 50's Packard ambulance, stretched much like a hearse with long side doors. It still had frosted looking rear side glass with red stripes and a cross on each side. Also painted on the sides was Buckroe Beach Rescue. The white side curtains were yellow and brown from exposure, but still hanging. The cabinets were still inside and the latching mechanism was in the floor for the gurney.
    It had a single side-hinged rear loading door.

It looked much like this picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  14. spdster

spdster

Typical crotchety automobile-last-resting place owner wouldn't let us into his yard to look for parts (50's ford, Mustang and Cougars) until we (myself and two other car nuts) identified a car he had stashed in his barn. It was an older air-cooled Franklin - the owner was surprised somebody knew what was special about it. Struck out on 50's parts - the other two guys made out like bandits while the owner and I had a pretty good discussion about his car. All-in-all a pretty good way to waste an afternoon. This was back in the eighties both the yard and owner are long gone. I know it was sold but I have no idea where that Franklin ended up.

15. Falfa204

Falfa204

About 6-7 years ago buddy of mine tells me a guy he knows has a 62 Bubbletop for sale for $3000.So we arrange to go see it,end up driving 30 minutes out of town to a guys yard with about 50 old Impalas.Laying in the dirt is a 62 Bubble that was hit hard on the passenger quarter in the 70's and parked.I agreed to buy the car but the deal fell through when the guy posted it on EBay and sold it for $8000.Few years later same guy had another one and I was able to buy it from his family when he passed away.

16. cavman

cavman

To Black 62...That conv could have been, but it's been probly 35 years ago, I do remember it had CA tags on it, and it had an extra set of lights in the frt of the hood, an under the seat heater (never saw one on a 55 before) The car had left frt damage, and could have been had for a mere $150. It was in a yard near Mobridge, SD. They used most of the old cars there to build retaining walls for the nearby watershed. Stacked like cordwood, it was an awful site to see....

One other car I remember not too far from home was one of them 200 built Z-16 Chevelles...hit hard in the frt........too soon old.....too late smart :)

17. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

I bought a 37 Hudson Teraplane out of a junk yard, in 1966, complete for $60. Some light surface rust, the seats had small tears. I wanted a hot rod, I sold the engine and trans for scrap. Maybe the dumbest thing ever.

18. bobadame

bobadame

A '36 Ford coupe. I still have the radiator and the engine. My friend and I bought it from Martin's Salvage in Colorado back around 1970 for about $100. I don't know what he ever did with the car.

19. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

1950 Merc convert. Of course they wouldn't sell it because they were going to restore it. Never did see what they did with it.

20. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I remember going to Bud's Auto Parts in my hometown when I was a kid in the 50's---he was well stocked with all kinds of 1940's Fords and Mercs. Some of them were driven there. Unbelievable. He passed and the new owners went to late model parts cars---maybe some other Nebraska HAMBer knows what happened to the hulks.

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A early 50's Kaiser sedan modified to a covertible 2 seater in that mostly Buick junkyard in CO east of the I25 and south of Denver.

It has been mentioned on the HAMB before.
    I suspect Dan Greenberg may have pic's of it...

22. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

In N.E. IL in the 70's through about '90 I saw 38 Olds 2 door, 38 Olds 4 door, 40 Buick, Several late 40's Dodge trucks. Many years later I saw the 2 Olds and the Buick headed west on a hauler. Same guy owned another yard that had a 40 Ford, 56 F100, two 56 Ford panel trucks, a half dozen or so 61-63 Galaxies, and early Tempest ragtop with something like 13 miles on it. Some kids stole it from the dealer, did a little joy riding then drove it in the river. There were probably another 50 or so pre 65 cars and trucks in that yard. The 40 Ford went to Ohio. Everything else got crushed. I was one of the few that were able to buy parts from the guy.

There was another yard nearby with around 300 cars. There were maybe 10 cars from 70 and up. Everything else was 50-60's. The yard had a 56 F100, 56 F600, 56 Ford COE, a 50 F5, 57 Turnpike Cruiser, 62 Merc, several early Falcons and Comets, several 54-56 Buicks, a 55 Pontiac, 60 Cad, 69 Mustang conv. There was a Dodge COE, a 50's Jag, several 50's Mopars. There were a couple of Henry J's and their cousin Allstate.
    The coolest was the Turnpike Cruiser.

23. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Within the past several years, a local yard had a Henry J that I really wanted. They also have a '59 Imperial that ran and drove. They had a lot of washed up project cars gone to part out. Another yard had one of those mid-fifties Packard convertibles with the wire wheels, I think a Caribbean.. I have never seen a car more rusted... They also had a '64 Cadillac limo on a F150 chassis with 4WD, and a late 40s Plymouth sedan with a nova clip and a nasty chopped top. Another yard has a '66 Thunderbird that someone skillfully made into a T top car. Very cool.

I spent a lot of time at the junkyard as a teenager. The local yards kept a lot of old cars that others scrapped. I miss doing that.

24. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

i get most of my projects from french lake auto parts... i have gotten a 40 willys sedan , a 51 austin devon, 57 chevy LCF (cabover), and a 64 chevy van... just to name a few!

25. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Saw a show-quality '41/46 chevy pickup in a Wilmington, CA junkyard once in the '90's... NOS fenders all the way around, repop bed, NOS dash knobs, show-quality paint job (complete with a signature)... nice upholstery, the works... Even the chassis was nice. Probably at least 15 grand in that one, easy.

It was someone's baby for sure. The story I got later is that it got impounded (could have been any reason, really... maybe a DUI after a cruise night even???) No idea on the reason for the impound. However, I was told that they would not release it from impound and sent it straight to the junkyard for processing because #'s didn't match the paperwork.

I guess the VIN is on the engine block in the '40's... and over the decades a newer stovebolt was swapped in... but the paperwork wasn't updated...

There's a lesson in there somewhere, I'm sure.

It got stripped to where only the cab (totally rust free/dent free) and the frame (all very nice) got crushed I think.

26. brjnelson

brjnelson

When I was a kid about 1979, my dad showed me a 69 Ford Talladaga in the back of a junkyard in Grand Forks, it had been rolled & the front end was bent up, it also said "hands off" I do not remember if it had a engine. When I was drooling on it,
    dad also told me about a Sunbeam Tiger with the V8 still in it, at Hans foreign auto parts in Osseo.
    I am sure both car are gone now.

27. camcb

camcb

Late 60s XKE V12 someone had taken apart for restoration but didn't finish. It was purple.

28. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

'58 Buick Caballero that I should go back for some day.

Here's one of Dad's junk yard finds from 1972.

[​IMG]

camcrusher likes this.
  29. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

My Son-in-Law bought this '38 Olds from a junk yard, with a good title.

Attached Files:

30. In Rio Vista, Texas there was a little wrecking yard.....had a Hudson Terraplane front clip sitting out by the front fence, Model A roadster body sitting on an old flatbed truck bed, 55 Chevy stuff everywhere, 3 complete Model A coupes inside a shed and many out back, in one of the work sheds there were Ford grilles hanging and covering 3 of 4 walls.....Was never anyone there and locked up until once I caught the owner with the gate open......let me walk the yard.

I was in heaven but young and broke....he offered me a complete running 38 Ford pickup for $2500.....couldnt find the cash.

I drive thru from time to time and the yard was still there a few years ago but never open again for me.....local gas station told me that the owner had got sick and retired....sold property and all cars in the yard to someone from California for big $$ and just locked it down.

I cannot imagine having the money/time and all the cool projects that yard held.

Think I will go thru there when I go to the farm next time......take my camera....see if there is still any rusty gold or if they are now shipped off to the Coast.