Register now to get rid of these ads!

Baby Hemi, Dodge Red Ram, engine mount question/help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, May 31, 2013.

1. no55mad

no55mad

Can this engine be mounted from the side of the block or does it have to be mounted from the front of the engine/water pump?
    Does anyone have pix of mounting to the frame? Thanks for any help.

2. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i plan to use the four lower timing cover bolts to mount my 270 dodge in my `40 coupe. i don`t believe there is any provision for side mounts on the early dodge motors.
    tom

3. sdroadster

sdroadster

I used a Hurst mount intended for a small block Chevy. You have to add some material to the inside of the mount and drill the holes for the Dodge timing cover. I was worried that the timing cover bolts would shear because they are mostly 1/4-20. I added a thick piece of material on edge running toward the rear off the Hurst mount. The material lines up with the area on the block where the motor mounts should be on a normal engine. I drilled and tapped the material to 1/2 -20, and ran a bolt in that bottoms on the block. This bolt on both sides makes the engine one with the Hurst mount, and reduces the possibility of torque being transfered to the timing cover bolts and shearing them off. Worked for me...

Hnstray likes this.
  4. metalman

metalman

I just used the original mount that came with the motor. I replaced the original rubber mount with solid steel and welded tabs on the mount to use biskets, kinda like a Hurst mount. Quick and easy.

continentaljohn and Hnstray like this.

5. no55mad, does this help. It's a chrysler, but same timing cover as dodge. The plate is laser cut from 1/2'' aluminum plate, and mounted off 6 timing cover bolts. They are 5/16'' unc. I think the dodge bolts are also 5/16''.
    [​IMG]

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I like Hot Heads and using the Chevy water pump makes a lot of sense

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

There are a few different ways. You can use the stock mount from under the water pump. You could also modify the industrial type "U" mount. At one point I made up some custom mounts which also used an aftermarket water pump. Speedway has the Hurst style mount.

Attached Files:

8. On my Red Ram motor there are no side mount ears. I'm not sure if Hot Heads makes anything for that block or not. I just hand built what I needed for my application off the pump. I mounted the bracket solid to the pump housing and moved the Rubbers to the bottom at the Frame mounts. A mount like this could just as easy go out and pick up Flat Head style frame points like an Old Hurst mount uses.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

9. no55mad

no55mad

What about the 2 holes (visable in your pic) on the block just behind your mount? Could these be used for a motor mount.
    The frame that will get this engine now runs a SBC. I was trying to come up with a method to utilize the mounts that are currently on the frame. It will be 3 months before picking up the engine so I'm not able to look, measure etc. I can't sleep at night trying to engineer this in my head:confused:
    Thank you for the responses.

10. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I utilized the factory cradle that mounts under the waterpump. I lengthened each leg about 1 1/2" and was able to mount the motor in the factory flathead spot using the original motor mount rubber biscuits. In place of the Hemi's factory rubber cushion under the waterpump I fabbed up a solid plate so the flathead biscuits could do there job.

11. Yes if your block has them. They are the Factory mount flanges. In these photos you can see them pretty clear The bare steel block is a 392 like the one with the Hot Heads mount on it. My Orange motor is like the one you say your getting. It's a 55 Red Ram motor. Notice there are no mount ears on the side of the Block. This being your new issue. I wouldn't loose much sleep over it. It's really not much of a challange.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The worst case scenario is the use of an aluminum 2-piece adaptor to early Ford trans., with a second adaptor bolted up to that; The 2-piece is bolted together with 5/15" USS bolts.
    Rear mount is somewhere south of whichever transmission you select, hanging all that inertial weight between the extremes of front and rear mounting points.
    An engine plate between block and first adaptor is highly advisable, mounted to the frame rails.
    There are a few coupes and roadsters running around So-Cal with the factory front mounts, saw them at So-Cal open house. (Dodge & DeSoto hemis)

13. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I picked up a 270 poly for the block which uses the side mounting tabs like Chrysler and Desoto. A set of hurst mounts will bolt right on. It will make mounting the dodge motor supper easy:D

14. MLG

MLG

This is my mount to the frame, using stock water pump. Also went with trans. adapter with mounting ears. IM004801.jpg

IM004803.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. No55mad, It is not my engine; I have mine mounted off the original ears on the side of the block. I just have this car here to work on, but it is a good picture to illustrate a way of mounting dodge style blocks with no ears. I don't know why they didn't use the original ears. Good luck with yours!!
    Phil.

16. Andy

Andy

I made a hurst style mount for my 241. I did tap the cover bolts out to 3/8 while I had the engine down. These pics were taken to show the alt. mount so are not the best on the mount.

Attached Files:

17. ezdusit

ezdusit

I located an original mount and built two frame mounted supports. I wanted to keep the original water pump.

[​IMG]

18. schoum

schoum
    from france

My solution to relocated the rubber on the frame rails. On the bloc, I use the 2 hole under the water pump housing and the 2 lowest hole of the timing cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Nice work Schoum!!!!

I just flicked quickly thru your 28 roadster build thread, I will check it properly tonight. I am blown away. You are a craftsman to be envied!!! Congratulations mate!!
    WOW.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  20. schoum

schoum
    from france

21. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

I took the Red Ram pics at the GNRS because I had the same motor at some point. Now I'm using the Desoto Firedome for my 41 Plymouth. Desoto and Chrysler have the ears, side mounts. The Red Ram uses the sidemounts on the orig transmission. On the Dodge I had planned to have Wilcap make me the trans adapter a little bigger and make the mounts from the adapter. In front I would have used the orig, Dodge. But I guess there are many ways.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  22. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

[​IMG]Beautiful work man, I may copy this general idea for exposed engine mounting. Is the bullet a cover or is it threaded and the bolt comes up from the bottom? Thanks for sharing detailed pictures of your work like this.

23. Weasel

Weasel

I believe I am correct in saying that this was only the 1956 Plymouth 259 block withe the side mounts - the same basic low block as the Dodge 241 and 270. But the Dodge poly version did not have the ears as the earless blocks were used on all Dodge Red Ram and Super Red Ram 241 and 270, hemis and polys respectively....

24. I hacked a sbc style mount. Just drilled and tapped my lower 4 holes to 3/8's. Added necessary shimming,welded to plate,and done.
    Pics of plate=(disregaurd one upside down mount), installed,and gasp!,with a gm alternator. Everything works great.

Attached Files:

25. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

That's almost too pretty to describe.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

27. katyfattrodder

katyfattrodder

Here are mine, built to use the SBC mounts already on frame

IMG-20120224-00095.jpg

IMG-20120224-00094.jpg

IMG-20120224-00093.jpg

28. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Beautiful! That is absolutely a work of art!!

29. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

looks very robust.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just did the Hot Heads mounts, with the Chevy water pump conversion, a 270 Super Red Ram. Worked very well.