Register now to get rid of these ads!

drop spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reborn55, May 31, 2013.

1. reborn55

reborn55

Have a quick question. Wife's coupe(76 Nova front steer clip) needs some spindles. haven't found any good used ones locally--friend of a friend has a set o new McGaughy 2 inch drop spindles I can get ---question is will they work. I have 15x6 wheels with 4 inch backspacing and 205-70 tires. The only thing that I can see having a problem is the backing plate hitting the lower control arm. I talked to the tech guru at Mc Gaughy's and he said that with the 6 inch wheel and 4 inch backspacing it is going to hit the caliper. Maybe I am getting old and do not comprehend any more but I don't understand(maybe stubborn also) why it would hit the caliper. It doesn't hit now and I cannot figure out why it would with that setup. Enlighten me if possible---will this setup work or not. He says I would have to use a wheel spacer for it to work--don't have one now. thanks for help in advance

2. slammed

slammed

The spud is moved up the spindle body. Moving everything bolted to it as well. If you use 2" drop coils or cut one wrap there should not be caliper clearance issues.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

The relationship between the caliper and wheel doesn't change with drop spindles.

Rich

4. reborn55

reborn55

That is what I thought. Does anyone know if I ould have any other clearnace problems with the drop spindles. Original spindles(stock) are no good. Thanks

5. mattrod68

mattrod68

he probably means the wheel is going to hit the tie rod, thats the only problem ive ever had with deep back spacing and drop spindles

matt

6. reborn55

reborn55

The one thing I didn't understand was does the drop spindle actuall bring the wheel closr to the suspenssion components I have 1 inch or more clearance between top of wheel and the upper control arm and close to the same at the bottom. No where near the tie rod right now. Tech guy wasn't very informative--No change to brake components--don't know--I guess I will go back to square one and try for some stock spindles somewhewife is getting antsy--Hot Rod Reunion is coming up and neither car is ready.--life is fun

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If I'm reading your answer right, you will end up with more clearence between the top of the upper ball joint and the wheel. Remember, the spud is moved up the spindle on a dropped spindle. Stuff on top will get further away, and stuff below will get closer to the wheel.

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The only thing I can think of is Brake hose clearance.

9. oface

oface

I had a 1987 Monte Carlo Aero Coupe with Bell dropped spindles and the p/o had to cut and grind away parts of the lower control arm with the oe wheels.Just something to think,good luck.

10. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

76 nova front steer clip... = 70 to 81 camaro..
    Should be super easy to find stock spindles.
    Any part from 2nd gen camaro will fit your clip..
    Dave

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. reborn55

reborn55

That is what i thought a month ago when I started this process. Not one yard in 50 mile radius or any club member in tri-state area could find me a set. Will ahve to resort to ebay, but just hate buying used suspension parts sight unseen
    Thanks

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Speedway has many parts

4 inch back spacing is pretty normal....

13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Summit and jegs show drop spindles for 76 camaro...
    might be easiest to order a set..
    Dave

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app