Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford’s 2.0/2.3/2.5 litre engine family guide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenneth S, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Thanks, as my original post mentioned, at the moment I am 600 miles away from the eng/trans. Hoping to maybe get a head start on the ID. Guess I will just wait.

2. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Thanks KS I guess I will wait till I get up to it. Thought I could get a head start. Will return to this thread hopefully by the end of June with photos. (from one Ken S. to another Ken S.)

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Here is a 2.0 EAO engine.
    [​IMG]

Here's a 2.3 "Lima" engine.
    [​IMG]

The easiest way to tell the difference between the EAO 2.0 and the "Lima" 2.3 engine.
    Note how far back the distributor, and oil filter is on the 2.3 compaired to the EAO 2.0

4. Ivan_DeSlayer

Ivan_DeSlayer

Guys Thank You MUCH for this thread!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

O.K., after posting a bunch of times on this thread I think I might need some more help. I have determined that the engine I have is a 2.0 Ranger 1bbl unit that has been from what I can see completely and nicely rebuilt. I am running the stock cast iron exhaust manifold to a straight through 3" pipe down the passenger side of my modified. I am running a C3 auto trans and a 3.78 rear gear with 31" tall rear tires. I have an Esslinger round port Holley patterned intake that matches the head. I have a choice of either a Weber 32/36 DGV, or a Holly two barrel with 1.50 throttle bores (500cfm?). Which would you guys runs on a basically stock engine and why? I'll say that the Weber will probably package a bit better, but that would be the only advantage. Help?

6. Not to take away from the thread or deviate too much, but does anyone one have a T-9 or Type 9 trans for sale or know of one for sale. Also will a semi stock pinto 2.0 be strong enough to use 5th gear on the freeway?.

7. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

For the best streetability, power, and fuel economy the Holley 350 cfm 2 bbl is the way to go. It will be a dog with a 32/36, and a 500 Holley is too much.

3200lb truck, Holley 350 cfm 2 bbl, 5 speed od trans, 3.73 gears 28" tall tires = 27 mph on the hwy @ 65 mph. I can also haul 1500lbs of scrap metal in the bed, and it still has plenty of power left.
    [​IMG]

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Back in the day when I used to race a 2.0 Pinto with a 4 speed I sure could have used a 5 speed. A stock, semi stock, etc Pinto 2.0 would work well with a 5 speed.

My old Pinto 2.0 with dual 45 DCOE Webers, 10:1 comp, ported head, with a .470" lift cam, 4 speed. and 3.55 gears. (Many cars with V8's got a really good view of my taillights).
    [​IMG]

9. Thanks Kenneth, the T-9 is a close bolt in using the 4 spd bell but the T-5 is more difficult to put behind the 2.0. I hunted down 2 4 speeds and now I want a 5 spd.......:rolleyes:. At least the other 4spd came with another 2.0 :D.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The 4 speeds that came behind the 2.0's will last a long time if you don't put sticky drag slicks on your car. I never hurt one when I was using road race slicks for auto x.

11. pitman

pitman

Oldtimer, not to raise hopes prematurely, the 2.0 Duratec (later Al version)
    bolts right up to a Ranger M5 5 speed. 20% OD in 5th. I'm uncertain about the earlier engines though. Ford parts counter will have the right pilot bushing for it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  12. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

KS, just got back from TN and took some photos of eng and trans. Will post shortly. Thanks

13. Been staying up late reading, the T5 from a '87-'93 2.3 mustang will bolt up to all but the top 2 bolts (2.3 bell) with or without some step dowels (still not 100% about this part). Use the clutch from a non-turbo '87 Mustang with a 2.3L engine, an S10 tailhousing in my case (Model A). I would guess you need to cut and weld to get the upper bolt holes to work on the bellhousing.

14. A Cosworth head or Ak Miller turbo set-up would be a great addition :). Anyhow I found all the parts I needed at 3 junkyards.

15. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Also, this place, www.cididit.com, has a trans adapter to put a T5 with the small block ford bell housing on a 2.3 for $185. About the cheapest adapter I've even come across.

16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Don't know how they work but I've had one under the bonnet for the past 6 yrs.

Gonna memorize this thread, thanks.

[​IMG]

Mac Millers Garage, Indianapolis
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  17. Great thread I never expected to find on the HAMB.

I want to replace the timing belt on my 2.0 EAO motor in the car. Crank pulley bolt is so tight I will need to dismantle the front of the car to get an impact wrench on it. Anyone do it without removing the crank pulley.

Had a friend of mine tell me last night that he did one on the side of the road many years ago so apparently it's possible.

18. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I've changed the timing belt on the 2.0 EAO I used to race many times without taling the crank pulley off. With the cam, and compression I was running it would damage the engine if I ran the belt run too long, and it broke (but on a stocker, or mild engine it won't hurt the engine if the belt breaks), so yes it can be done.

19. Thanks. That's encouraging.

Now off to find a new tensioner. Figure might as well change it while there. Motor has 95K on it. Looks like BAT may be the only ones with one although I did see a post somewhere mentioning a Melling BT10. Jegs lists it but with no photo and no description mentioning Pinto.

20. Here's the short list of what I've found (might be a repost so sorry if it is).
    **Timing belt tensioner - Melling BT10
    **Cam, Aux shaft, Front Crank seal (all the same) - D1FZ-8592-A, National Seal #473560N
    **Thermostat housing - D3FZ-8592-A
    **Rear Crank Seal - D1FZ-6701-A
    **Tune up kit - TKF-24

and for the Melling BT10:

Attached Files:

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

I went from this:

11A 004.jpg

To this:

8 11 13 007.JPG

And now I'm building this:

8 18 13 009.JPG

8 18 13 010.JPG

I'll post more about it on the Dogfight Forum when I've got it finished, swapped over, and running.

1oldtimer likes this.
  22. The second shot with the turbo, is that an AK Miller set-up.

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes.

1st one was a mildly ported head, hotter cam, and twin 40 DCOE's.

Ran nice but not fast enough

Second is with the Ak Miller turbo setup, which is modified from stock.

Crazy horsepower and acceleration, but way up in the powerband, no torque at all down low.

Not suitable for the vehicle it is in.

So now its getting the Roots Blower to hopefully cure that.

I'll put the Ak Miller parts on a different engine that will go in a road track racecar that can handle that kind of power delivery.

24. The roots blower looks CRAZY. I passed up on 2 AK Miller kits (1 was missing parts other the turbo was seized) at the early stages of learning about the 2.0's, now I'm sad and can't find another. I was wondering what manners it would have on the street in a model A, sounds like torque is a problem. I have 2 motors now so 1 will wait for the turbo set-up and the running one will get a torque cam, shave the head, long headers and the edelbrock 2x1.......I'll see how that goes.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Ak Miller did the Pinto Pangra.

I put the weight and 1/4 mile times of one of those through a 1/4 mile calculator and it came out to about 145 to 150 HP.

That would have been a lot closer to what I was looking for.

150 to 180HP with a lot of usable torque from idle would suit the vehicle its in.

The one I have is not a stock Pangra.

It gave nothing to past where I wanted the redline to be, and then all hell broke loose.
    ( last time I dared to look down at my gauges it read 15PSI , and it was only starting to get serious about picking up speed...)

The Roots is a cool project that I really enjoy doing.

I only had the blower itself.

So I had to make the blower drive, the intake manifold that goes between the head and the blower, the pop off valve, and the manifold that goes between the blower and the downdraft 44mm Dellorto carb.

26. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.