Register now to get rid of these ads!

Member Steve Barr (400 4spd.) - a trustworthy seller!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, May 28, 2013.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

They say bad news travels like wildfire. On the internet it's even faster than that, and the good news often gets overlooked. When we buy something out of the HAMB classifieds, or any where on line, we know that there is some risk of losing our money or somehow getting burned. And when unexpected problems arise, like shipping damage, the chance of a deal going bad increases.

So when I have dealings with someone who goes above and beyond, I think you all should hear about that as well. With Steve Barr of Barrs Restorations, (member handle 400 4spd. ) I can tell you for certain that there is NO RISK!

Here is what happened: I bought an Edmunds aluminum head for a flathead Mopar 6 from Steve. He had taken it in as partial compensation for a bad debt, so he was only slightly familiar with it. But when he went to wrap it up for shipping, he noticed that it had a gouge in the deck surface.
    He promptly notified me and asked if I wanted to cancel the deal with a full refund, or if it would be OK if he had it repaired at his cost. I OKéd having the head milled, and he sent it to a machine shop. The machine shop busted one of the fins when they clamped it to the mill, then wrapped it up for shipping without telling Steve about the damage.
    When I told Steve about it, and sent him a photo, he asked if I wanted my money back, but I suggested a repair. As soon as I had an estimate for the repair, Steve sent me a money order to cover it. Despite the fact that the milling and the welding and grinding probably cost him 75% of the price of the head.
    Obviously he wasn't happy that this happened, but never once did he try to throw blame or make me feel bad about it.
    So now I know that he is one of the most trustworthy guys out there. Thanks Steve!<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); </SCRIPT>

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. sololobo

sololobo

awesome news, always good to hear about stand up folks. This is the way it should be. Kudos to all! ~sololobo~

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Wow.

He certainly deserves the good word.

4. cavman

cavman

Good post ....we all hope to deal with sellers like this. I doesn't cost the sellers a thing to be honest about products they have to sell, but it pays them in the long run to make the customer happy.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Kudo's to Steve for being a stand up guy, and to Hemi Joel for typing about it- even if he can't type!

6. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

There's a Few good Hot Rodders still out there!!!

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

great story...

8. Not many of these guys still out there in todays world. Seems like everyone is out to make a buck....

9. There are still people out there with honour and good character .Well done Steve

10. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great business practice 400 4spd

Maybe you won't make any money on this deal but you bought a great deal of goodwill with this deal. Money can't usually buy that. Good that it all worked out.

11. captmullette

captmullette

its good to hear of customer service like it use to be.....hats off to steve

12. Koz

Koz

In my dealings with car people 99.9% are stand up guys. The few bad deals I've had are from people who really were not car guys and were just in it for the cash. I'd like to add how important it is to make note of the good guys. We have a bad sellers list for the other side.

13. Good for him and good for you for posting this. We need more posts about good sellers to steer buyers away from the bad ones.

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

That sucks when a deal goes wrong, and even sucks worse when it keeps getting worse..... Steve sounds like a stand up guy.

Great Post....

15. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

It takes two fair and honest people for a transaction to turn out well. Thank you, Joel, for your understanding in the matter. I wish it could have arrived to you in the same condition as it was in the pictures I took prior to it going to the machine shop. If I've learned one thing out of this situation, it is this - ALWAYS photograph your parts before you leave them for work, and ALWAYS inspect every part before paying and leaving.
    Again, thank you Joel for your business and for trusting me to follow through with my part.
    Steve Barr

16. badshifter

badshifter

17. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Thanks for that. Nice to here when something goes right. Nice also to give out well deserved praise. Seems to be more natural for us to vent and spew when we are pissed at a theif or a shyster, though, than to give credit where credit is due.:rolleyes:

18. swimeasy

swimeasy

We need a "Great Sellers List", that would be to cool!

19. swimeasy

swimeasy

We also need a "Kick Their Teeth In" list!

20. 3340

I agree with koz, and yes my vote on a goodguys list, I have delt with many here and the ford barn, all were stand up guys. thank you for these sights. wayne

21. kennb

kennb

Great to here of a good transaction. Most of the time it's the other way around. Ken

22. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Nice to hear in this day-and-age of sellers (collectors, hoarders, hobbyists etc.) who care about the customer's satisfaction, bottom line.

23. Restores my faith in humanity...