Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drug home a 53 chevy, need some carb info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spudz, May 30, 2013.

1. spudz

spudz

Drug this home, been sitting about 15 years. I want to see if I can get it running. I have a few questions. First off I see that there is a electric fuel pump back by the tank feeding the mechanical fuel pump. Is this ok? or does it need to be eliminated? Second, I want to get a kit for the carb but I see no tag. where can I find the numbers so I can get a kit? Is this even the correct carb for the 235? there is a manual choke cable coming threw the firewall going nowhere. There is a shaft coming out of the auto choke, do I need to have cable hooked up there? I know probably stupid questions but I've never messed with stock stuff. Not sure if I will keep the stovebolt but I want to atleast see if it will run decent. here are pics of the car where I found it and the carb in question.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. Looks like its correct. The choke is an after market auto choke eliminator. Bet you can get a kit by going to Rock Auto. Biggest thing in trying to get it going wil be accelerator pump. Be careful with the electric pump you might pump too much. Possible fire danger.

3. bgaro

bgaro

two fuel pumps? keep one, you decide which.

4. slammed

slammed

HAve you tried to fire it as is? Trickle (R.I.P. Dick) a wee bit down the throat and crank it over.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

What you have is a car that has some old school patching up done,it is common to use the electric pump at the rear as a cure for vapor lock or sometimes a carb that goes dry from sitting and someone has added a manual choke conversion kit to a carb that had a heat choke.Your biggest concern is the old gas in the tank and fuel lines that has turned to varnish from sitting that long,drop the tank and have a radiator shop boil it out and run new lines to the carb.

6. DrJ

DrJ

Hi Spudz!

I learned how to work lead on a '53 Chevy, in '61!

Rochester model BC (I think)
    Aftermarket choke as mentioned but housing retainer bracket missing.
    If it has a leather seal accelerator pump just be careful with it as you flare it out some after a good soak in gas and reinstall even if you can and do get a new one, keep it in a safe place..
    I like '53's
    I like '54 taillights more though and they are a bolt in...

7. spudz

spudz

Ok, I am gonna do away with the pump in the rear. It needs a new gas tank, straps and sender too. I am gonna try an get it running maybe this weekend. I will let you know how it goes

8. spudz

spudz

DrJ, long time! I am pretty sure its a Rochester like you say. I was wondering what was going on with the choke,. I like 53s too, I have a real rough one I can use for parts. I too prefer the 54 taillights. 53 tails are ugly and I cant wait to ditch them!