Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 mercury monterey breezeway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazy_tonguezz, May 17, 2013.

1. nobrakes

nobrakes

Good luck on the parts! (That was not sarcastic, honest.) I am working on my 1955 Monterey with my husband. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369833810.102874.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Thank You No Brakes .Its Always FunWorkingOnThese Cars

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Crazy,

I always felt these cars were under-appreciated. Almost owned one myself on two separate occasions. Mom's cousin had one when I was in high school w/ the Breezeway window and I thought that was the coolest haha.

4. csimonds

csimonds

Wow,
    That car is slick! The interior seems to be in really good shape also! Shit here in CT that car would be a giant pile of rust. Great find, I would love to find one of those!
    Chuck

5. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I agree Old Soul - I bought mine for the engine only - the longer I owned it - the more I fell in love with it. The styling is clean without being over the top - and the Breezeway --- friend has a roll down back window in his Ford Explorer Sport Trac - and its awesome - I can only imagine how much cooler (no pun intended) it would be in a early-mid 60's car!

6. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

csimonds, yes the interior is in a great shape ,but ill still be putting in new carpet and redoing both front and rear seats, poisbly making all new door panels and storing the originals in the garage.

Old Soul next time just get it and we can all watch our Mercurys get polished

7. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Nice merc, man!!! I've always loved these cars! My mom has had her '63 Monterey for I want to say 5 or 6 years now. Its got the 390 factory 4bbl, Merc-O-Matic, factory radio-delete... It used to be white with a gold 'fake roof, until she was rear-ended by a semi truck while at a red light. Truck driver was on his cellphone, texting. After the repair it was painted shit brown with a white top. The body work and paint job were terrible, cracking, lots of bondo, paint blistering all over... So one weekend we decided what the heck and feathered out all the bad spots and sprayed it black. Not the best paint job, but I plan to repaint it and fix all the bad bodywork for a Christmas present this year (or maybe next years birthday present, I dont know how bad it really is:rolleyes:) It will be black again, with a silver-rose roof.

I never minded having to drive "my moms car" to high school when my Packard wasn't running!!:D I can't even tell you how many miles we've put on that car.... Long road trips all over the place, all summer long as long as its been in the family. I learned to drive in it, went on my first date in it, did my first burn out in it (dont tell mom!:cool:), had my first blow-out...... Sooooo many memories..... Its one of those cars that I hope stays in the family forever!

Wish I had better pics of 'er... But here she was the last time I had the honor!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. I love these cars, my parents had one just before I was born. It was very rusty my Dad kept her on the road as long as he could, and they are still sad about having to scrap it...

Nice cars guys.

9. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Fory that is a beautiful car. great story to by the way.
    that is about the height im going to put mine at too.
    you might even want to look into hot rod flats . com
    they have an awesome selection on flat paints and for a great price

10. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Personally I'm not a fan of flat paints - unless it's something OLD - i.e. 30's car done in early 50's style. But thats just me.

I also love fory's hight on his car. Thats also an awesome story! I think eventually I'll lower mine too - right after the transmission rebuild, engine re-seal, tune up, body work, interior work, and paint. First I want to get it drivable!

11. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

LOL...don't laugh... I've been thinking about doing that, and it's what drew me to this thread! I'd leave the door ends square and use quarter windows though...trunk definitely needs to be shortened to make it a 2 seater T-bird wannabe...

12. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Naaaah - why buy into the 2dr hype! Go with the 4 dr! Leave the trunk as long as it is! Cruise around in a REAL Land Yacht. The 70's Fords and such had NOTHING on these cars! 20 ft from nose to tip and all the room you could want - and gas - psssh! Why worry about Mileage! Gas is cheap right!? 8mpg is enough for anyone! :D

Pile in, turn on Perry Como and float your way down the highway!

2dr is cool - 4 dr is fun. No whining from people trying to squeeze into an "old car" and lots of comments of - wow how roomy cars were back then!

Then again I do own a Wagon....:p

13. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

speaking of interior. do you know what you want done on the seats ? fabrics and patern(style)? i could do them off my seats and ship them to you., when ever your ready to do it.

14. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I could live with the moredoors... I was just wondering what it would look like if Ford had downsized the Montery for a 2 seater sports car instead of working with the T-bird. Maybe a 460 under the hood... I totalled a 67 Pontiac Strato Chief 4 door in college so I know all about the advantages of a big back seat!

15. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

my 2 dream cars are a 1959 chevy impala wagon and a 1959 pontiac starchief wagon. i almost almost... owed the pontiac wagon , i was a day late and kicking my own ass for not calling fast enough!!

16. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

You really are a land yacht fanatic! I remember when we were in high school some friends of mine bought a 59 Chevy wagon (Brookdale or something like that?) for $50. They bought a 6 cyl motor out of a totalled 62 for another $100 and drove it to the coast. That thing went through a bunch of local kids for about 2 yrs. I knew where it got parked and went back a few yrs ago to see if it was still there, but somebody beat me to it...

17. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i once onwed a 1960 chevy wagon ,Brokewood. was my project car but had to let it go :( still dream of her

18. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the compliments on the car! We lowered it with 1-1/2 coils or so out of the front, and 2 or 3 inch blocks in back (can't remember which, its been a while). There was MAJOR alignment issues when the front was lowered, it ate thru tires like a fat girl at Krispy Kreme. I don't remeber how many shims I had to put in it, but a lot. But it does ride really nice, still plenty of travel and only scrapes on really severe driveway and speed bumps.

Eventually I'd like to get the upholstery done in it too... The driver seat is thrashed, or "well used" I should say. I've always thought a nice period white tuck n roll would look right at home in there.

I don't know if your talking about the same paint, but I've used SEM "Hot Rod Black" before with good results. I've heard good things about the Hot Rod Flatz too, it seems like a really good product for a budget project or someone who just plain doesn't like to mess with flattening agents (they can be kind of a PITA)... I've always just used regular single stage and added flattener myself when doing colors other than the usual black, red oxide, etc.. I've got a really good friend that works at the paint store back home I go through. The Merc will be all gloss though, full on show-quality.

19. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Dunno if you were referring to me, Fory, or both...but...:D

Seeing as how the interior of mine is "non stock from the factory" I think I'd like to re-create the interior. Mine is solid Vinyl - which was not an option - and I've only seen on one other car. I've seen this color and pattern before with crush vinyl - but not solid.

The style is actually kind of neat....

Attached Files:

20. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

I Do Like That Allot ! I CaN Re Do That. ThE Top Part With The Pleats Is Gonna Be FuN Lol Small Pleats All The Way Accross . Send Me A Picture Of The Front Seats.
    MineIs Also All Vynil No Cloth .

21. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

rprice- those seats are killer!! I've never seen that pattern before.. the pleats all across the top is way kool!

The seats in ours are the same pattern as yours, crazy_tonguezz, but in beige vinyl and pinkish-beige cloth with little gold roses embroidered all over. It's kinda gaudy to me, but it must've been classy in the 60s LOL! I like yours way better....

Do either of your headliners have the Mercury "M" embossed all over? I'd love to find some of that fabric...

22. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

My mom would die if she saw your door panels, too... That's pretty much the exact interior she wants!

23. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

aside from the door panels i can make everthing else. and no i dont think i have the M embossed material and didnt know there was such a thing. now i want some !! ide redo even my seat inserts with it if i had some

24. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

more pieced for my ignition system rebuild.

Attached Files:

25. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

26. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Unfortunately my front seat was re-done sometime in the 90's in cloth. However...I found a pic of another car with the same interior - a 4dr. I'm attaching the pics. Supposedly made at the same factory around the same time - and I know of one other - though the other one was re-upholstered in a different pattern later - it had the same code as mine - 94.

Yes I have the "M" mercury headliner but mine is in really bad shape.

Attached Files:

27. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Sweet!

Have you had it running yet? The 390 is an awesome engine! I wish mine was running right now - but I have the transmission off - and the rebuild going on (parts went in for cleaning today - I don't have a wash tank).

28. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I've seen the pattern in my car several times - but with a different code - and usually crush vinyl for the large panels. I do love the pattern.

I like crazy's interior - its a great pattern!

29. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i have not had it running yet, just was able to get it cranking over (cranked freely no funny noises). i have to rewire from the ignition switch to the coil thanks to the PO trying to put a new solenoid in wrong. ( i wish i had a wash tank too)

Rprice76 your patern is great because it shows it wasnt a low end choice the work it goes into making that patern is far from plain and simple. the top pleats alone and then you add the muli patern stripes in there, those are upgraded options in my opinion.When i re upholster stuff and i get asked to add things like that the price goes up, (not in your case though)
    now im wondering if i just didnt notice the M on my headline , and the search begins for that material. Normally embossed paterns like that are in anniversery cars and that would mean a 1964 In our cass, not 63.

30. Thats a great looking Merc you have there. I always thought those were cool looking cars.