Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Welding Torch's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willymakeit, May 27, 2013.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

I'm looking for a new torch, regulators and etc.. for sheet metal welding.
    Not quite sure which one to get. Have looked at Smithy airline and now Goss. Was told to bet a low pressure regulator for sheet metal welding to be more consistent. Gas welded in school 40 yrs. ago but haven't since.
    I can't justify a tig and besides you can't anneal with it either.
    I have a Sears setup that's about 10 yrs. old but it is a piece of crap.
    Any suggestions?

2. scotti32

scotti32

I am no sheet metal guru, but have a DHC2000 and love it.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you have no other "equipment", Id go with a Henrob/Dillon/Cobra (whatever they're called today!). You can weld, cut, heat, solder, braze, etc. with it. Great all around shop tool, if you can't afford, or have room for a MIG, TIG, plasma and torch.
    If you just want a torch for welding, nothing else, the Meco Midget is a great one, very small, light, easy to handle.
    As for regulators, get Victor, or whatever good ones your welding supply place has, nothing like the stuff pros use, not Harbor Freight crap. Especially with explosives!

4. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I second the Meco Midget.....and the low pressure regulators. You can use the pressure regulators that you use with your cutting outfit, but will continuously be adjusting for pressure creep. And if youre new to the game, it will frustrate you and you will think youre doing something wrong and give up. I suggest a lightweight hose setup, too.

5. kennb

kennb

I prefer the henrob. Ken

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

the Henrob cuts and welds mild steel like all the others but it will also weld cast iron easily and it will weld stainless.
    I have been using mine for 15 years

( gas welding torches)

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks Anyone using a Goss? I can get a complete setup for around 300 with regulators, I have other Mig welders just want a good gas outfit.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All the years I have been welding and still can't understand the way that the henrob torches are designed. That pistol grip thing would be the most awkward un-natural thing to have in my hand to gas weld.

For me the torch orienation and hand position would be all wrong.

For me the small jewelers torch I have is more natural.

Attached Files:

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

will it weld cast iron and stainless?

10. slik

slik

Henrob (Dillon, Cobra, etc) hands down. Get the lower setting regulator. Makes a world of difference. I was able to weld 22ga aluminum sheet metal without warping.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a Tig machine for that. And yes, I can weld cast iron with the Tig. Aluminum too of course.

All I need my little gas torch for is mild steel sheetmetal fusion welding and occasionally a little silver-brazing/ soldering.

Look here, Smith Little torch.

http://www.littletorch.com/

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a Victor 'aircraft' set. Costly for parts now, a 'mixer' is $200+.
    Mine was stolen, but I found a guy in Modesto (Craigslist) that had a brand new one. ($60)
    I bought the torch set in 1974, (Snap On man had a new set on his truck, I had to have it: $120 then!)

Finally, I am back at it with my Victor. It just goes with the sheet metal on my '27 T's.

13. Willy
    I am partial to Vo ictor units, but for a cheaper unit I used to have a Dockson that I truley loved.

14. I've used my Victor for about 25 yrs, it's still working like new.
    Lee

15. I use a small Victor body with the valves up front. Very compact and light. Both reg's are 2 stage and I have them hooked to a gas saver with a 7' light gauge hose

16. jw johnston

jw johnston

Small victor or a meco midget with low pressure regulators is what I reach for. I use 000 or 00 tips on these for sheet metal up to 18 gauge and aluminum.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Great info, I've also been thinking of getting a gas welding setup. Haven't done it since shop class in high school. Once I bought a mig that's what I've used.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. kennb

kennb

Henrob might look difficult or different to use with the pistol grip, but yogurt adjusted to it in minutes. Ken

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

20. What about hoses? Anything really lightweight available? I like my henrob, but it's heavy. Damn arthritis. I'd like to go with something as light as possible, torch and hose.

22. jw johnston

jw johnston

Tinbender if you are looking for a lightweight torch look at the Meco midget and accompanying hoses.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. cryobug

cryobug

Stay away from Harris. "Junk regulators"

24. slik

slik

25. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  26. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have a smaller Victor set,about 200 bucks if you buy one today. Does what I have to do.

27. PG

PG

Albeit that I'm still learning, I use a Meco Midget and have really enjoyed how small it is. I used a larger torch at my shop and it was too clumsy for me. The Midget has allowed me to be more precise. Just my .02

28. banginona40

banginona40

I have a Henrob and use Smith low pressure regulators. Check out Cyberweld.com. I tried for a while using my old Victor Junior regulators but they were not very accurate and did some creeping as well. There is quite a learning curve with the Henrob and I am certainly still learning. The pistol grip does take some getting used to. There are a number of videos on YouTube regarding the Henrob and the Meco and others. 98% of my welding is with a 220 Miller which can't be beat and if all I wanted to do with O A is sheetmetal I might go with the Meco with the low pressure gauges. For heating and bending as well as cutting the Henrob is great. O and A are both rather costly and being able to do your work with 4 psi is a real bonus.