Register now to get rid of these ads!

My New Zephyr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, May 26, 2013.

1. 55willys

55willys

My friend fastrnu told me he needed to keep a car at my place for a while, but he had ulterior motives. He actually bought the car and gave it to me. We have been friends for a few years but this blew me away!

The car is a 61 Ford Zephyr built in England and Shipped to Canada A. It was in good shape but has been neglected for the last few years. I was able to get it to run but right now it has no working brakes, clutch, or fuel pump. To me it looks like a 3/4 scale 55 Ford.

I hope to get it up and going this summer, maybe hit a few car shows! I build hot rods for everyone else but neglect myself when it comes to my own car. Fastrnu saw this and wanted bless me and he has!:D

Guess I am going to have to put in more time on his modified we are building together (26-7 T Modified Build ALL FORD - BY FORD)

Attached Files:

Greenblade likes this.
  2. rld14

rld14

I'm very jealous! Those are great cars and the engines are capable some decent power. Think the stock tires, like my Vauxhalls, are 6.40-13s but the 6.50 gives you a bit more choice and is about th same size.

Looks to me like a real nice start. Check this site out...

http://www.galeforcezephyrs.com/

3. Weasel

Weasel

6 cyl Zephyrs and Zodiacs are Gasser material in the U.K - along with the 4 cyl Ford Consul....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Weasel

Weasel

Roof chop....

[​IMG]

5. Pretty cool cars.

6. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Welcome to the club. I picked a 60 Zodiac up in Long Beach last year. Rust free black plate Cali car all it's life. It's going to get the Raymond Mays euro circuit racer look as soon as I finish my roadster.

Growing up in the UK these things were the closest we could get to US styling for custom material. They all rotted away so they're rare in the homeland now...seem like a big car in the UK, look tiny here.

7. slammed

slammed

Scrub it, clay bar it, glaze it, lower it. Cool daily driver!

8. neat ol Mk2 ! here in NZ we had all sorts of nick names for them ....
    Maori Customline , 3/4 Cusso , Z-Car to name a few . Be sure to post progress with it .

9. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

We got plenty down here,can't beat a 64 Mk3 for style !

10. Nice, Tripple webbers or SU,s, some headers and your ready to scream.

11. My teenage years saw lots of Mk3 action, but never rode in a Mk2. Always thought they were the best looking. Have fun with it.

12. Wardog

Wardog

I've always thought a 289 powered Zef would be a bunch of fun.

13. 55willys

55willys

I have cleaned it up. I will post more pics when I get a chance.

14. 55willys

55willys

Going to pick up a parts car this weekend. Hopfully some better trim

15. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Post some pics man, would be great to see what you found

16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

55Willys here's a couple of shots of my Zodiac....very dry car. Cali all its life. picked it up for less than scrap value...I'm hoping to give it tripple carbs, headers, kent cam and headwork....after years of seeing them with US V8's in the UK it seems right to keep that straight six alive...

Attached Files:

17. rld14

rld14

Plus,

If you do work to the head and use the right carbs the 6 will move that car VERY well.

18. Supposed to be a very easy swap too.

19. Skoty

Skoty

heres my daily driver... my mk2 Zodiac! love them, gotta be the best car britain produced in the 50s.... those straight 6's have such a nice note too them aswell!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd like to see one of those Tudors with a reshaped hood and mock '56 Ford grille in there. Maybe some '52 Ford taillight lenses & bezels, and the 'mock-fins'.

Otherwise, the cars are very much 'Ford-like!'

Good thread, guys...

21. In fact, the two door cars are all converted - Ford never made one except for the rare convertible.

22. Scumdog

Scumdog

Nope, Ford did a test two-door model, very sharp it looked too.

Trouble was not big enough market for them - dang!

Had MK1, MK2 & MK3 Zephyrs, liked the Mk2 styling best and it was yet another car I regret selling, it had a mint body, paint and interior annu

It had hot Mk 3 motor with triple down-draughts (Shepperd Brothers manifold from memory) and 3-speed with overdrive.

I lowered it, fitted twin-sway-bars and fitted 7" X 13' steel rims with hub-caps and chrome trim-rings.

Looked as flash as a rat with a gold tooth!!:D

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I can't recall ever seeing one, but like someone posted they sure resemble the '55-'56 Fords, only in miniture.

Frank

24. restoreid

restoreid

I had this 1958 Mk2 back in the early 60s Lowered 4inches chrome wheels 3x1.5 SU carbies speedway cam {awesom idle} dual exaust Wish I still had it was a great car

Attached Files:

25. raidmagic

raidmagic

I don't know what's more awesome, that cool ass car or that your buddy GAVE it to you. What a great friend. Keep us posted on your progress.

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Oh Man, I had a 57 Mk11 Zodiac, totally rust free but weather beaten California car, I sold it to some guy in England.

I have a 57 Consul convertible in pieces right now, totally 100% rust free Arizona car that I haven't touched, I've had it for at least 10 years.

I also have a really nice customized 1963 Ford Consul Capri.

I almost didn't open this thread because I thought I was gonna see a 1930s Zephyr.

I love English Fords, congrats, I'm watching this space.

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Bigger pics please, this car is beautiful.

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Absolutely, I grew up in the UK too, hence my love for English cars, my Zody ran like a top but the flywheel had a tooth or several missing and if the starter hit that spot she wouldn't start and I had to pop the hood and move the engine by hand to get past it. Fun times, but I had to let it go, I'll get to my Consul one day.

29. restoreid

restoreid

Sorry Nads thats the only photo I could finde Back in the early 60s spent all my mony on cars none left for cameras haha

30. magoo

magoo