Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh what should I do with my 272???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vadensomers, May 30, 2013.

1. vadensomers

vadensomers

I have been working on a 1957 F100. It was running when I pulled it into my garage but I have run into some transmission issues. Sloppy linkage and a monstrous conversion to a floor shift. As my old timer friends stop by each has a varied opinion on how to proceed. Most recently I have heard lots of "scrap the 272" I would like this truck to be a daily driver eventually and also to be powered nicely. Should I be looking for a different engine? If so what is a nice engine/transmission combo that fits into the 1957 F100 politely?

2. Just about anything fits into those trucks with ease.

3. Buy one of mctims 292 rebuilds and go do some skids

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Nothings wrong with a 272. If it's a good runner, whats the problem. Even a 54-55 239 can make a torquey little motor especially with factory gearing. It is what it is. Personally I like to see hopped up smaller engines like flatheads, stovebolt sixes, 239-292 Ys, 332-352 FEs, 265-327 Chevys and 221-289 SBFs.
    A lot these "old timers" are "never weres" and those folks like to talk out their ass because their mouth knows better.
    A good friend of mine built an impressive 55 Ford sedan, dual quad, custom headers, Isky race cam, it was an all out race engine. He was chastised by some "old timers" at a show because he put a 350 in a 55 Ford. It was 58 312 Y block.
    I quess because it had the dizzy on the back and was not blue, it was not a Ford. Idiots!

5. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

A lot these "old timers" are "never weres" and those folks like to talk out their ass because their mouth knows better.

F-ONE speaks some truth. Heed his words.

6. I'm dropping one in my '54 Ford Customline. Nice engine, traditional, and different from the pack.

7. The Bronze

The Bronze

Yeahnah, call me an idiot but I don't see why you'd go for a bellybutton motor in a special car when you can use something more traditional/appropriate. Leave the 350s for the camaro crowd.

8. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Go for the Y Blocks big brother, FE or FT 390.

9. Stick with the 272. Just add Mummert heads, C4 conversion. Jobs done in my book. -H.R.D-

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Hey, The Bronze

Maybe I was not clear enough in my post. The racing engine in that 55 sedan was a 1958 FORD 312 Y BLOCK built into a monster. The "Idiots" at the show thought it was a SBC.

11. The Bronze

The Bronze

ahhhh... call me an idiot then.

12. Those that tell you to do away with the 272 should read a little about Karol Miller and what he did with a Y block @ Bonneville.

13. 327Eric

327Eric

If its in good condition, leave it. Cheaper to work with what you got, and you aren't gonna find many engines that sound better than a y-block with glass packs.

14. If you, or others, have doubts about the capabilities of the ole 'Y' Blocks these days, check
    out Tim McMasters Flyin F----100 Bonneville videos here. Perhaps he will chime in (I don't
    recall his user name.....) It's "mctim64"

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  15. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I love y blocks I'm hoping to make a bit of power out of my 292 with 2x3 offy intake Rochester 2g carbs. Cam. Heads And exhaust. I'd love to stroke it if money allows. The y blocks look nice and sound great. I'd say keep it

16. Ole don

Ole don

If you have a 272 that needs overhaul, make it a 292. Later heads, mild cam, hot ignition, good dual exhaust, and a Blue Thunder four barrel with a nice carb, it will eat 350 ###"s for breakfast. They are about as reliable as the rock of Gibralter with modern motor oil.

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

As far as "later heads" go, if it's an actual 1957 engine, it should already have the best heads he's going to get from the factory. '58-'59 heads are all right, but in '60, Ford reverted back to the small 1954 239 sized intake valves.

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Why is everyone stupid? 350/350 SBC. Calgary, Canada Craigslist, you cant even find a used SBC. How hard is it gonna be to find odd 272 parts.

Watch those HAMB dreamers, most of them drive SBC anyways. There's been a study.

19. williebill

williebill

Mata,you should sell all your shit,and buy a Corolla... life would be so much easier.

20. JDW

JDW
    from Upstate NY

A 272 is not my favorite 'Y' block (luv the 312's) but with that said, you have it, fix it and run it forever. Just do a super oil passage clean out, repair the rocker shafts, install a 4 bbl intake (or a 3x2) along with a PCV, decent oil, fix the rear main leaks then drive the hell out of it. I've seen way too many early Ford pickups with a belly button motor so that 'Y' makes sense.

21. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Huh. I told the wife but she says, "I cant imagine you in a new car". 1968 is the newest car I own.

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ha Ha Ha, very funnny, you should take that act on the road.
    Craigslist...the pulse of the traditional hot rodder.

What for the price of tea in China does 350/350 availabilty on Craigslist have to do with 272 parts and what pray tell, are these odd 272 parts of which you speak?
    It's a running engine, rods, crank should be good if it even needed a rebuild. All the other stuff is as close as the nearest partshouse if not there as close as the telephone or computer.

23. dano1930

dano1930

Yeah keep the y block, maybe just freshen it up, once a y block is running nice it'll go forever. they're such sweet motors, pop a couple glass packs on it and you'll have the best sounding car around

24. Scumdog

Scumdog

Hell, even here in NZ you can buy new stuff for them - stuff inported from the US of A.:D

25. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

I would Keep the 272 . They are great engines !!

Just don't tell to many people that little secret it will drive the prices up on good used y blocks .

26. Keep the Y block , adapt in a 4 or 5 speed trans and enjoy :) . I run a Lincoln Y block and 4 speed stick in my '53 F100 which is my Daily . Makes Driving to work in the mornings something to look forward to.

27. Put in a sbc, and, send the 272 to me! My '53 would love it!

Attached Files:

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Exactly. I couldn't be without a car for 3 days for a 6Volt elec fuel pump to come in, so I bought a 12v one & put a GM alt on & the friken A was up & running again in a few hours

29. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

This is a silly question with silly answers I own a y block car have driven 7k miles over the last few years countless burnouts drag strips and donuts

Do you have money ?
    What do you want to do with the truck? Drive, race, tow and work?????
    Do you want too keep it a ford ?
    Do you want manual or auto ?

Ask those questions the answer will automatically become obvious

SBC cheap as hell great power potential
    Y block slow cool expensive... Same for FE
    460 ford cheap junkyard swap GREAT stock power
    302 with 5 speed from fox body mustang.... Cheap fun easy
    500 inch caddy cheap fun different powerful
    Big block chevy,nailhead buick,hemi anything............late model LS or ford 4.6 whatever man it's all good 300 inline six from a 91 f150 who cares
    You could put any engine I that bay it's huge

These questions and people's answer are sooooo cliche ha