Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch Pedal to the floor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53HD, May 29, 2013.

1. 53HD

53HD
    from San Jose

My clutch pedal bottomed out to the floor. Is this a throwout bearing issue or a pressure plate issue? Or am I just way off?

2. Well your missing lots of info.

3. Could be many things. Do you have ay clutch at all? Maybe a linkage pin fell off?

4. 53HD

53HD
    from San Jose

Sorry, I have a 53 chevy bel air. 235 w/ manual 3 speed tranny. I don't know much about 3 speeds. The pedal doesn't return up.

5. Fasttoys1

Fasttoys1
    from China

Well lets see, it could be throwout out bearing, could be pressure plate could be linkage, could be arm. Heck, it could be normal...to help, a bit more info is needed like does it dis-engage? (can you shift gears?) Does it go to the floor with zero pressure? Does it come back up? Is it out of the car and fell out of your hand?
    Who knows
    Fasttoys

6. Is there any real resistance as it goes to the floor?

7. 53HD

53HD
    from San Jose

I went under the car and all the linkage is intact. Pulled the flywheel cover and the fins from the clutch are not pressed up to the bearing. I will post a picture tomorrow night.

8. 53HD

53HD
    from San Jose

The car is stuck in 1st gear and the pedal has no resistance either way.

9. Have someone work the pedal and get under there and see what all its doing,,, or not doing.

10. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

That happened to me when I was in high school. I learned how to drive stick without the clutch that day. It turned out that the linkage had broken under the dash where it wasn't obvious. The symptoms were exactly what you are describing.

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Well on that car nothing under the dash as the pedal goes through the floor. Get assistant to move the pedal up and down while you are under the car,I would think at that point it will be obvious what is wrong.

12. david_mark

david_mark
    BANNED

If its all stock, sounds like linkage to clutch fork. Mine has slipped before and some thing happened.

13. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Press the clutch fork by hand, feel it connecting? If you do, work backwards from there to the pedal.
    FYI the pedal should have a spring assist to come back up, at least my ford does.
    Good luck.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Were there any symptoms leading up to the failure. Not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you might be new to this whole hot rod thing, so I recommend you either post up lots of pictures, or a video of the clutch and linkage in action, or ask a mechanic to take a look at it for you. Would love to help, but without the visuals, this on is tough to diagnose from here.

15. 53HD

53HD
    from San Jose

I believe the return spring came off. When I get off work I will confirm. Came across some photos of the spring set up on another thread. I looked last night but I could have been looking in the wrong area. Thanks for all the feed back.
    Voodoo Im a first timer to any kind of forum, never had a 3 speed transmission, and been tooling around cars most of my life. I just didn't explain myself very good. For what ever its worth I find a lot of really good threads here. I enjoy learning from other peoples experiences. I will get better with this in time.
    Thanks again everyone.

16. Yep, no one was born knowing this stuff. Sometimes we forget that fact.

17. Well their is a return spring, but its for the weight of the pedal only. It shouldn't bother the engagement or disengagement of the clutch at all. What it does is keep the weight of the pedal off the throw out bearing. You do need this spring but I don't think it's your main issue. Some part of the linkage is broken or has come detached.

I'm pretty sure a 53 Chevy has a z bar??
    Off the top of the pedal is a rod. (Under the dash) This rod comes thru the firewall and attaches to the upper leg of the z bar. There should be clips or pins on both ends of the rods.

The z bar has two pivots. One is on the frame and the other is on the engine block. The z bar needs to move ( pivot) freely but not move any other directions. The pivots allow this to happen.

The lower leg of the z bar also has a rod ( this one is adjustable) that goes to the clutch fork. The z bar end of the rod has a pin or clip keeping it attached , the other end of the rod has a radiused ball that rides in the clutch fork. There should be a spring right parallel with this adjustable rod attaching on the z bar and the clutch fork. The spring is what keeps the ball end from falling out of the fork.

The clutch fork is 1/2 out side of the bell housing and half inside. Inside the bell housing there is a pivot that holds the fork. Also inside is the fork end that holds and controls the throw out bearing. There may still be another spring that goes from the frame to the fork???

The throw out bearing pressed on the pressure plate fingers or diaphragm releasing the clutch.

Hope this helps you find your problem

18. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

31 Vicky: 53s did not have a Zbar ,pedal through the floor ,pivots off the brake MC .Z bars first came out in 55 with swing pedals.

19. Oh crap !!
    That's a lot of really good but useless info I put there.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm no rocket surgeon, that's for sure. But let us help you; post a few pictures of your under-dash pedal setup, and the clutch linkage. Someone here will figure it out real fast to help out.

21. Yeah, but still the OP has to trace it from the pedal to the clutch. I've replaced a TO bearing, swearing it was collapsed only to find one of the arms on the z-bar was torn loose.

Bob

22. R Pope

R Pope

No Z bar on a '54 Chev. A link goes from the pedal lever to the adjustable clutch fork. All linkage is under the floor.

23. 53HD

53HD
    from San Jose

I found out that I need a throw out bearing return spring. When it gave way it must have flew from under the car. I found a pic online of what it should look like. I will post a pic later this weekend.
    Thanks agian.

24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Back when we were running from dinosaurs, I had a 49 moredoor Ford. It sat behind the gas station for years. It was $5.00 because I was an employee. The clutch linkage no workie. BUT,, I had a car. My friends had to jump out when the light turned green and push it for take off. Then I just ran it through the gears trying not to get another red light. It might have been a spring too.