Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stopping brake dust on rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, May 29, 2013.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am now wishing I did not install disc brakes on a couple of my older vehicles due to constantly cleaning brake dust off the front rims,anybody have any ideas on how to stop or severly slow down the dust that gets on the rims. My next project might just stay with drums up front if this is the way of life with disc brakes now.

2. Best way I know is to use drum brakes. They work just fine. The people who sell disc brake kit say disc brakes are the only way to go is because they make big money selling them.

3. Try different pads .
    Organic pads seem to stop the best, damage rotors less but are fucking dusty.
    Ceramic and metallic pads are much less dusty.

4. bb55hrt

bb55hrt
    from Michigan

I bought some dust shields that fit between the brake rotor and rim. Works for me

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I put a Y block back in my 55 Ford it might get wagon drums up front and still have the original front spindles for my 65 galaxie,anybody know if those ceramic pads have less dust then the regular pads and if they do are they worth the money.

6. Must be why new cars still use drums :rolleyes:

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think darker rims might help,my 37 Chevy p/u has silver rims and the galaxies rims are white so maybe time to rethink the color to go with black rims from now on.

8. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Ceramic pads are better and produce less brake dust, also quality of the brake pad plays a big part too.

9. 3 mins ago I said ceramics and metallics are a lot less dusty than organics.
    They arent dust free , and since you didn't say what or which you have currently there is no way to say if the dust will be less than you have now.

Worth the money ? Well they are harder on rotors, the cleaning time of wheels is less or less frequent. Idk is that worth it to you. If you want anally spotless wheels you'll be cleaning them just as often only quicker.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to look into the dust shields.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I had a serious brake dusting problem on my daily driver, I couldn't keep the polished aluminum wheels clean for even a day. I just changed to ceramic pads and they now stay spotless, and I notice no difference in braking at all.

Don

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I usually go with the middle of the road pads and might have to quit being cheap and go with the more expensive pads,I can deal with cleaning the rims more then changing the rotors but with the existing pads I have now I have to clean the rims if I have to drive over a hundred miles.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Black rims and I clean them every once in a while. Jeez guys, are we REALLY being pussies about maintaining our rides? If your stuff gets dirty... clean it. Chances are, you're dirty already. Spend a little time and clean your shit.

Oooooo........ my tools keep getting dirty.:rolleyes:

14. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

I had this problem with my CTS-V.

Good brake pads make dust.

You can buy ceramics to reduce the black dust. They will now produce white dust in smaller quanities. Braking will be affect about 25%. pads will last 2-3X longer.

If you want good brakes, i suggest staying with the pads you have and use a brake dust cleaner for wheels. it comes in a spray bottle and you spray on the cool wheel, soak for a few and hose off. works great. beats scrubbing with a brillo pad or brush.

Don't use dust shields. they reduce air flow and your discs will overheat and warp faster.

Oh it will also help to stop stomping on the gas and brake pedals soo much. ;)

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I got my first vehicle with disc brakes about 25 years ago and dont remember having to clean the rims so much but back then I probably did not care are much as I do now.

16. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Most modern cars have moved away from ablative braking - lots of carbon based dust - to adaptive brakes . Now the dust is a mixture of brake dust and rotor particles that is highly corrosive to alloy wheels.

After several years of looking for a solution for my customers I have yet to find one that is satisfactory . Except - clean your wheels frequently.

From a maintainance stand point black painted steel wheels have a lot to commend them.

17. use the dust shields or switch to solid wheels

the disc wouldn't get any hotter behind the dust shields then they would get being behind solid steel wheels

18. kennb

kennb

Yeah they just sell disc brake kits to take your money. Tell me what you think when you're day dreaming and a deer jumps in front of that late model sport sedan in front of you and he slams on the brakes and you're up his ass with your drum brake car. Especially when you've just gone through that big puddle. Just like the guy I commented on his 5 1/5" chop that he might not fit in the car, or see where he's going and his reply was I don't care as longs it looks cool. I'm not saying drum brakes don't work, but disc is better and safer. Ken