Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Official 1959 Chevy Apache Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

I have everything off the dash except for the column and gauge cluster. I will remove those tonight, strip all paint and rust underneath and then prep and shoot in epoxy. I will post some pictures tonight

2. dubie

dubie

I really hate to bother you again but is there a possibility that you couple take a pic of the light switch so I can double check my connections?

3. farmer12

farmer12

You're moving along Scott, nice job. Before you know it you'll be working on the Plym!

4. 1959apache

1959apache

You aren't bothering me with it. I just was able to take the dash apart last night on the drivers side. I will snap a few shots for you of the wiring.

How are you doing with your truck? I haven't seen a lot of updates lately

5. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Eric, I am really looking forward to getting the Plymouth on the road. My Dad and I WILL be taking it on a Route 66 tour. Maybe with the truck as well. That will be really neat.

6. Ive read this whole thread and im really liking it!

7. 1959apache

1959apache

Here is more progress from last night. I stripped the dash of everything on it, stripped the crappy paint (the guy didn't use primer before and it is just flaking off) and shot it with some epoxy primer. Tonight I will work below the rear window and hopefully get that in Epoxy as well. I will need to follow that up with the kick panels, windshield pillars and finally the door jambs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks MannyK, I appreciate it.

9. 1959apache

1959apache

So I spent 4 hours out there yesterday getting below the window finished and inside the actual cab corners. I was able to shoot it in some epoxy before I left to go to dinner with the wifes family. I will get those pictures of the light and ignition switches for you guys today for sure.

Next steps are kick panels, windshield pillars, and door jambs.

Here are some shots of the finished back section:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

That looks good!! what I really like is your choice of seating!!! :D

11. 1959apache

1959apache

Haha, I was wondering when someone was going to mention that.

Thanks Chaddilac.

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Good progress brotha. Lookin sweet

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Green, Really itching to take this thing to a show.

Here is some progress from tonight. I didn't feel like getting filthy again so I decided to start putting the dash back together. I got some of it back together. I will need to put everything else back together here shortly and start working on the little things that I need to do to get everything buttoned up so I can drop my seat back in it.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple shots for Dubie. Let me know Dubie if you need anything else. If you need a better picture let me know. I am colorblind so I just had to read everything. Do you need me to make you a map of where I have everything plugged into?

The ignition switch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light switch:

[​IMG]

14. dubie

dubie

thanks for the pictures bud. If you don't mind drawing up a quick little diagram of what goes where on the light switch, that would help me out greatly. I have a different ignition switch on mine and I hooked it all up according to Rebels drawing. Thanks again

15. 1959apache

1959apache

I will try to take care of that tonight for you. That way others can use it too. I was busy last night stripping/epoxy primer-ing down the kick panels and the windshield pillars. I will do that before I start on the door jambs tonight.

16. dubie

dubie

thanks man.

You're making a ton of progress on this thing. It'll sure be rewarding when you can drive it all week long and tinker with it on weekends hey? I'd like to say it would be nice to not have to work on it, but you know as much as I do, they're never finished

17. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Lookin good! All you guys,1959apache, greengrenade, dubie, buzznut, sqrlnuts, chadillac, etc are motivatin me to get to work on my 58.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

You are making awesome progress!

19. 1959apache

1959apache

Here is what I did last night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will go through and put some self healing stuff from Eastwood in the door hinge pocket so I didn't bother painting there. I just want it protected in case of any water intrusion. After I finish up with the door jambs and make my repairs to the inside of the cab I will respray my new patches with the epoxy and then go through and take care of the floor with some POR15

Since this is going to be a driving restoration I can afford to not take the windows out right now. I will when I work all of the bugs out and get this thing is some decent looking paint maybe this winter... we will see.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  20. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks dubie. Yeah... these things are always a project, technically never finished. I look forward to when all of the tough stuff is out of the way.

Thanks man, it seems like everyone is summing theirs up and I am still a little behind :( I will get there eventually :D

Thanks Lunchbox, your wife's truck is looking pretty slick

21. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

It's coming along well - just keep moving forward!! Love the color too.

I did a '56 6-cylinder back to stock last year and it won 1st place at a big show here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 1959apache

1959apache

I read your post on rust paints/preventatives, really interesting, which helped me make my decision for the POR15. Thanks again!

Was the blonde the trophy? I guess I need to move to Canada if that is the case

23. dubie

dubie

Where was the picture taken with the rest of those task force trucks? Looks like a show I'd love to attend.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

25. rrenner

rrenner
    from georgia

I am enjoying watching your build in progress. I am redoing a 58. Did you leave the ford sender in when you installed the new gm sender? Thanks again for a great thread.

26. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks rrenner. I left the ford sending unit in, but did not hook it up. It's hard to remember but I think I removed the float as well so it wouldn't come in contact with my universal GM sending unit and give me a false reading. I don't recall exactly though. Thanks for following along!

27. 1959apache

1959apache

Man that took longer than I originally thought to do the door jambs.... a lot of contours... but one is done and I will take care of the rest of the step before putting the door back on. Then to the other side! It is really coming along quickly and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Here are the shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good Scott.

29. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Eric! I think the old girl is liking it too... it hasn't demanded a blood sacrifice in a while :p

30. dubie

dubie

damn that's a lot of stripping. I sanded my old paint with 400 grit and feathered out any edges of crusty paint then used a 2 in 1 primer and paint Krylon rattle can on the jambs. Is that epoxy you're spraying on the interior and jambs?