Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Version of a Hot Rod - 1928 Ford Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpasticDwarf, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Cool is cool - PERIOD.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks like a nicely built rod, but the motor, wheels and wheel placement just doesnt do it for me. too short in the rear, and too long on the front.

3. I don't mind the ingenuity of your ride. It's still a "Hot Rod". Thanks for sharing it with us. It does not fit the rules here though, but it would fit well on www.dogfightmag.com the sister site to the HAMB. I like many forms of the automotive hobby, I guess i'm just more open minded than some people about what is an interesting ride. On another note though, I'm laughing at the comments, that it looks good on the salt! El Mirage is not a "Salt Lake" like Bonneville, it's a dry lake.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  4. I usually have a problem with those that tell people their car "doesn't belong" and whilst I appreciate the effort and degree of skill required to construct this car, in this case I agree.

-Pete.

BTW don't let that discourage you (I'm sure it won't with a t-shirt design that says "Automotive Artisan").

5. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I appreciate traditional, I also love the 700r4 in my 50 behind my 70s inliner. The thought of Hot Rodding and Traditional Hot Rods are 2 diifferent subjects that we , at times, blend together through creativity. Its a cool build, just bends the rules here. Just like T5 trannys, my 700r4 and petronix ignitions.

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fred, word.

While this is a traditional rod/kustom site, I have to say it is nice to take a look at something different and I don't think it hurts the board to do so. If it gets out of control then the moderators step in and flush the offending thread. If it stays, then it is by Ryan's (et al) mercy that it does. Back in the old days we talked about using jaffas as anal beads, and cheese graters. It was all in fun and I loved it, those that were there did too. Now this place is too huge for the same thing to go on all the time.

I'm sure there are lots of "trad" cars on here sporting a 350 out of a '78 chevy pickup. If the orthodox catechism of traditional hot rods was truly enforced, this would be a lonely place.

Frankly Fred, I'd like to see what you have done to your bucket. :cool:

7. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Ok, now that I see your ride on my computer and not on an Itouch forget my comment about running a full hood. Pictures were to small to see the proportions.

8. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

Cool, but not quite my cup of tea, i like how the engine and tires tie into each other while still having a nod to the wire wheels of the '30s.

9. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Hell NO. My .02. The place is full of it at the mo.

Scotty

10. Zykotec

Zykotec

I love it :) I think maybe the engine sits a bit too high(or the car is a bit too low) for my liking, and offcourse, I can't argue that the engine and wheels aren't traditional, so I'd rather just read about it on Stanceworks.
    It is surely a true hotrod even if it lacks those final bits to make it traditional ;)
    Now go get started on rebuilding Rusty Slammington, there are a lot of us (on other forums) that miss him :)

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Mill the valve covers flat and put something else more interesting on them, like some vintage NOVI lettering. Car is just way too low to be drivable. Does it have adjustments? I like fender-less trucks! Gary

12. Zerk

Zerk

I like that there's no pretensions of being anything but what the builder wanted to create.
    "What's the engine?...oh".
    Also, that it's built properly. There's no butchery here. Everything fits into the build as if it was planned, because it was.

I think what we see here is an individual take on hot rods, the point where his build philosophy intersects traditional rodding. I wouldn't have seen it if he didn't post it here on the HAMB. I don't mind looking at stuff. I don't see an insidious movement afoot, trying to undermine this board. Just a guy who built something on a theme (and admittedly with the help of the HAMB!) and shared it, knowing there would be criticism from the hidebound members here.

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I guess someone cant read "Traditional"

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I can't see owning a vehicle so low that the first thing that touches the ground when I egress is my hand...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. bgaro

bgaro

change the valve covers and convert to carb..........done

16. grf-x

grf-x

I think that it is based on definition of traditional, this boards definition is NOT what I was raised to believe traditional hot rodding is about. Traditional hot rodding to me is the same as back in the day, you build a balls to the wall car with what you got and can afford. Back then all they had was flat heads and such. If they had fuel injection and BMWs you sure bet some soldier after the war, looking for that same thrill, would have shoved that beast into a model a or 32.

AS for me... it's growing on me. I prefer my flathead. But you built it your way , with what you got your hands on. That is balls to the wall as far as I am concerned. But Ill keep my shoebox with the flathead in it.

IN the end... no one's opinion here matters. Its you ride. If your happy, piss on the rest of the world. In this day an age everyone thinks their opinion is a game changer. Get in it, start her up, leave some rubber on the ground and implement the one finger salute. Oh... and try to keep the paint side up and between the ditches.

17. Stop sayin' shit that I agree with! ;)

18. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Everyone has their own ideas on hotrods. Traditionally you took the biggest, baddest engine of any brand you could afford and stuffed it into the smallest, lightest vehicle you could find. I like the proportions of this motor to chassis size. It screams hotrod even if the valvecovers say BMW. Maybe if you had machined Offenheuser on the covers it wouldn't arouse such ire. My dad was born in 1906 and the cars he built and the airplanes he designed didn't necessarily follow the traditions of the day but were innovative and true "hot" rods. I can understand some people being upset about the engine used but don't understand why some are throwing the Ratrod implication out there. This appears to be a well built rod, just different.

19. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

awesome , true spirit of hot rodding in my mind...

20. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

(1) I agree with you

(2) I tell everyone to build what they like and not to worry about what everyone else thinks, but since you posted your build here (and it is very clear it doesn't belong on this site) and wish to know what I think of it, here goes. I think it looks like shit! the wheels are ugly as hell, It sits way too low, You ruined one of my fav model A cabs. It looks like a rat rod. ofcourse this is just my opinion of your truck and shouldn't count for anything too you, But like I said you ask for it.

(3) who the hell is telling you to build shit like this here? Name names so we know who they are.

Is my comments harsh enough for you?:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.