Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Nailhead Casting Numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inkman, May 4, 2013.

1. Inkman

Inkman

I am new to the board and hope I am doing this post correctly, please let me know otherwise and I will glad to change once I know how. I am in need of some Buick nailhead knowledge. I am looking to buy a 425 nailhead, but it needs to be a 64,65 or 66 model. I plan to place it in my 1964 LaSabre to replace the 300V8. I need to know what the casting number 1384701 is. I have looked at several sites with no luck. The heads I found easy (1196914). There is a LW365 at the front of the block. The engine currently has a Super Turbine 400R behind it. I think this is a 1965 425 wildcat engine, any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

3. Inkman

Inkman

I used that site last night to get the info I do have. I have made a couple phone calls but still no 1384701 number. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

4. buford26

buford26

Casting numbers are not the best way to ID an early Buick engine, it is better to use the stamped engine production code and engine serial number. This shows where to find the numbers:

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=indent_engine_where

The production code you listed is LW, which is L = 1965, W = 425 w/ 4 bbl carb. You can find a good list of the production codes here (scroll down on the link to see the list):

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.p...erence-bet-a-401-or-425&p=1924683#post1924683

5. Inkman

Inkman

Thanks for the info. I hope to get my hands on this thing very soon. How are people dealing with the high compression ratios on these engines? Will they work with just 93 pump gas or is a piston change in order? Thanks again for you help.

6. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Thats the info I was tryin to find, but I couldn't locate it. 93 octane is fine. I've had no problem with it in my 401. It doesn't hurt to give it a little octane boost every once in a while. The only thing to be concerned about is the ethanol in the fuel, make sure you give it some sta-bil on every fill up.

7. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Show us some shots of the ole Buick! Lookin forward to your build!

8. Inkman

Inkman

I can buy non ethanol fuel here but only in 87. I can buy good gas at my local track (CMP), and I can but gas a the local small town airport, both are $$$$ and aviation fuel is very dry. Thanks for all you help in this matter I will post some pics of my LaSabre I really love the old car.

9. Inkman

Inkman

Heres a few pics, two of my Buick (really bad pics sorry) the other the 1965 425 nailhead and transmission I just got. What a trip that was! I will post more pics of the progress as it happens if anybody is interested. I am sure I will need more info from all of you that know a lot more than me on this nailhead stuff.

Attached Files:

10. Nickrodder

Nickrodder

11. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

The buick looks nice! My lesabre got a transplant also. The 300 decided to lose some parts out the side of the block, so I put a 455 in its place!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Inkman

Inkman

I thought about that also (I have a 455) but I always wanted a nailhead, I have run into several issues but am still happy with the nailhead swap idea. It was going to be a nailhead or a LS motor and I really want to stay old school.

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I bought my first nailhead about 8 years ago. Actually bought a 65 4 dr Wildcat that had been setting in west texas 10 years without running. Turned out to be a good one. Found a '50 ChevySedan Delivery that was needing something stuffed into it and the rest is history. I'm up to 4 401's and 5 SP400 trannys. Cant have to many spare parts. I recently built a fresh 401 for the delivery to replace the tired one. I have run 87 octane in both of them with no problems, and its been down the drag strip at Yellow Belly's several times.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  14. Inkman

Inkman

I only have two the 425 and a 322 but always looking for another. I do have two st400's and the 400 that was behind my 1964 300 engine.

15. birdman42

birdman42

16. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I should start a social group for nailhead hoarders.:D
    I also have a 425, 2-401s, and a 364 that need to be rebuilt and find a home for. I think the 425 will go in my 58 Apache.

How is the progress so far any major hiccups?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Inkman

Inkman

1. Replace timing chain assembly
    2. Have a look at the oil pump pickup
    3. Fix the timing cover that I broke ALL the water pump bolts off.
    4. Remove the old head pipes from the manifolds without a repeat performance of the timing cover.
    5. Replace some gaskets, find a carb and try and fire this thing before I put it in the car.
    6. Find out how I am going to make new motor mounts.
    I will take some pics along the way if anybody is interested, I can also break off bolts for anybody needing that done.
    PS Russ at Centerville Auto Repair has been very helpful and has great parts, I have been very impressed.

18. slimpick

slimpick

That's why the aluminum front covers are so expensive - everybody breaks off bolts in them or breaks them when prying off from a block.

19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I've spent countless hours taking off timing covers hoping that they wont be corroded inside and useless. Finally quit trying to get the bolts out in one piece. Go ahead and break them off then dig out the pieces after you get the cover off. Its easier and faster. They corrode up inside the timing cover from electrolysis and have to be beat out with a punch after soaking in PB Blaster.

20. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

What? Maybe i shouldnt... but is ONE of your 401's for sale by chance? I have to go to Houston to get my trans from my brother and thought........ Let me know if anything will get one loose from you?