Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 58 Chevy Pickup build · Can O' Worms!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

OK, What a difference 1 inch can make in the brake pedal ratio and how the brake pedal feels. Dirty2 Gets all the credit for this. He nailed the problem. I got everything moved tonight and just took it around the block and wow, it stops great. I do need a little bit of adjustment on the proportioning value, but I will deal with that in the daylight tomorrow.

I also figured out the rubbing issues. It was the inner fenders. Those are now up and out of the way, so no more turning radius problems.

Here is a photo of how far down I moved the I moved the rod on the pedal.
    [​IMG]

2. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Tomorrow, I am going to hunt a Clevis joint. I was surprised that the 4 stores I tried today didn't have them.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang who painted the pedal White?? Doofus alert!!!!

4. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

I wasn't going to say anything. LOL!!!

5. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Well, she is street legal now, sorta still running straight pipes. The wife loves how it sounds. To quote her "It sounds like it is going to eat somebody."

So we took it for quick drive to just shake things down. I drove it out and she drove it back. I don't think I have seen that smile since my wedding day. We stopped and got a couple of shots of the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. servi53

servi53

looking good, is this the final paint color or are you gonna match that baby blue inside with a 2 tone, hint hint would look awesome

7. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Looks great! Nice job!

8. That truck is perfect.

9. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Actually it is, she had always wanted truck she could bang around Dallas in and not have to worry about it. So, out side isn't perfect, but she'll be traveling in style with the interior.

Thanks guys! Appreciate.

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Truck looks great guys!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

It's funny to look at the pics of when we got it and to remember your face when we pulled up to get it. Now those thoughts are far from us!!!

12. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

OH... I Remember... I just choose not to revisit it.

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Me neither!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. I like '55-'59 Chevy trucks, used to have a '55, but they are prone to rust. Worst spots are cab corners and over the headlights. Used to see a lot of them with the backs of the frond fenders loose and flapping because the structure on the back side thar attaches to the cowl had rusted away.

15. Sin7

Sin7
    from Wylie TX

Awesome build ! Can't wait to see it around town.

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Really cool man. I love the pictures. So when is the burnout video coming??

17. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Oh yeah, We found all that, cut it out and replaced it. Basically the bottom 1/3 of the cab and doors are new. Then new fenders all the way around.

Should be soon. I have been trying to shake it down as much as possible close to the house. Then We'll do a long test with a road trip. I am sure after that, you will see my bride driving it everywhere.

Soon :D

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  18. shadams

shadams

Love it man it looks great, happy for you and the wife, she is going to be the coolest chick in town...

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Don't forget insurance and a tag!!!! :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. dubie

dubie

this was definitely one of my favorite builds to follow. Thanks for keeping us up to date on everything guys. You did a pretty sweet job on this old hauler.

21. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

I am pretty excited for her to be able to enjoy it. I get asked about every other day, how much longer.

Thanks Dubie, We are far from done! Still have a ways to go.
    Given the travel in the rear, a knotch is going to be in the near future. Then I have some pretty cool ideas to handle the wood in the bed. And of course, since this for a lady in Texas, AC will be going in as well. It's sitting in the garage, I just need to find the time to get it in the truck.

Also have some door logos in the works.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. dubie

dubie

Just making sure this worth while build doesn't disappear on us. Any updates guys?

23. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Oh We aren't going anywhere. Just haven't done anything spectacular lately. Made a license plate bracket as we are good to go by the state now. I have been doing short shake down runs through the neighborhoods adjusting breaks and tuning the motor. The bride really likes that part. The Carpet is in and the seat is in its final home. All the door glass is out and new ones are ordered. Then finish the exhaust, Paint the doors, put the wood in the bed, install heater/AC. It will be pretty much done at that point.

Chaddilac is delivering another truck this coming weekend. That one we are mounting on the roof of a restaurant over in Fort Worth. I think Chaddilac and the architect wish I would keep my mouth shut when I dream these Ideas up!

So next weekend with Chad down we may paint the doors and tinker some. Gotta take him for a ride, as he hasn't ever seen it move under it's own power. I am thinking we'll have a pretty good update coming very soon.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  24. 1959apache

1959apache

Sweet! Is Chaddilac going to post some pictures of that project? Looking forward to the update.

25. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

lots of fun right.

26. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

I think we are going to start another thread on the roof truck. he documented the build of the frame up there, and I will be documenting the install of the truck on the roof. I can't wait to seeing it fly through the air on a crane. :D

It has been a blast. A professional photographer shot the truck and my 53 mild custom sedan this afternoon. I am hoping to have some of the photos on monday to post here as well.

27. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Nice work! I wouldn't change a thing.

28. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Well I wish I had the major update with, painted doors and a smokey burn out video… but life just got in the way. Chadillac was a day and a half later getting down here do the stuff out of his control. I had a buyer for the 53 chevy drive 7.5 hours from the other direction. Really cool couple and we hung out most of the day on Saturday. Then Chad had to bail at 9am this morning.

Needless to say nothing that was planned got done! A little progress was made on the speedo though. I finished up the clips to hold it in, then painted the insert. It is a flaked white that matches the insert in the seat.

Here's a couple of shots, but the lighting in the garage sucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are a couple of the shots from the photoshoot for the 53 on friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally here is our 1950 Ford Roof truck!!! I'll have the mounting photos this week. :D
    The Rack system to mount this to the roof is Killer! Chad knocked it out of the park.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  29. 1958Warrior

1958Warrior

Wow, your making amazing progress, looks great , she's gotta be one happy wife. I found your thread a few days ago , I'm close by in Mesquite , doing my own 58' although going quite a bit slower at it, doing the subframe now. Where do you get your patch panels locally? closest place I've found is Southwest Classics over in Arlington. and your weather stripping? I got some for the vent windows from LMC and it is just deteriorating didn't last 6mo. have to replace it.

30. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Thanks a lot. She is on cloud nine. I actually didn't get my patch panels local. It was cheaper to Pick up a few pieces (hinges) from "Fixmyrust" on Ebay. But I got most of my parts from Ken Neel 918-605-2248 up by Tulsa he specializes in parts just for these trucks. He has everything you could ever want new and old parts. The Weather stripping is from Shemp here on the Hamb. The Glass I got from Deep Ellum Auto Glass.