Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with rust removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brooksinc1976, May 27, 2013.

1. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Ok it's the first time I have to cut out cancer aka rust. Got a few question for my 1953-210:
    After getting rid of the rust what prep do I need to do before primer aside from general cleaning?
    When cutting an area out how far past the rust should I go?
    Thanks

2. Rob68

Rob68

3. nonobadog

nonobadog

Do a search on youtube. There is a clip showing the easiest way I have seen to size and weld in your patch.

After you cut out the rust, cut your patch over size and tack it over the hole. Use a cut off wheel to cut one corner at the edge of your patch. Tap the corner in and tack it. Continue around the patch cutting, tapping the patch in and tacking. After it is tacked, go back and weld the patch in place. The cutoff wheel will leave a perfect gap for a wire feed welder. By tacking first and then welding it will minimize distortion. The scrap piece is easy to remove from the inside. If it is double wall It is harder to get the scrap out but can be done by only tacking part way around and finishing the cut. Then pull the piece out.

Good Luck