Register now to get rid of these ads!

Easy LEDs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, May 26, 2013.

1. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Today I was working on the turn signal LEDs. I thought that some od you would like to see how easy it is to make you own at minimal cost. I get them from Radio Shack. The LEDs come in several colors. You will need to use a resister in order to use them on 12v dc. The resisters that I use are a #2711321. 1-kohm 1/4-watt. I've made these for years and they work great for your turn signal indicators and other warning indicators. Here are a few pics on making a green LED work. Have fun:D

Attached Files:

2. Does the LED have a positive and negative side that you need to be aware of when wiring or can the resistor go on either lead?

3. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

They don't seem to care. You will find that once you get them wired you will test them on a battery and then you will find + -.:)

4. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

How do you mount them in a panel?

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

depends on how your going to use them, epoxy works the best,clear or black epoxy works best if your going to use them from brake/tail/turn lights.

6. flypa38

flypa38

The "D" in LED stands for diode. So it should have a pos and neg. Diodes only let current flow one direction.

7. So, test polarity and put the resistor on the + side?

8. I use them also

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The long wire out of the LED is positive [hooked to bat/or source positive] and resistor will work either pos. or neg..