Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mice in your car - Don't trust smelly soap bars to keep them out!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, May 18, 2013.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sounds like the only way to prevent mice is to hire a professional exterminator

2. jimn3d

jimn3d

I went to Ace hardware and bought a couple of plug in devices that emit a sound the mice dont like. I put one on each side of my garage facing each other. For extra measure I put out a couple of boxes of green pellets. Seems that one or both are working because I haven't seen any for a while.

3. yep....guess it depends on the mice....these West Dallas mice ain't scared of nothing....no poision around my shop as the dogs just might get a bad one....right now we are in competion....some days they get em' - the dogs - ....some days I do....

4. yblock292

yblock292

another thing i have found works good are the electronic ultra-sonic transmitters keep the mice out of the shop, plus i leave all the doors, hoods and truck lids open. Mice like enclosed areas not wide open

5. Lost a good headliner last year to mice. We also get Chipmunks inside the garage. The bucket with water trick really works for both. Also a good barn cat and black and rat snakes are excellent...+...the wife won't go in the garage with any chance of a snake being there :eek::D;)

6. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

When I store my parents motor home for the winter we jack it up and set it down on a wood block with a large diameter (~14") metal disk between the block and the axle . The disk needs to be wide enought that the mice can't climb around the over hang.

7. Weasel

Weasel

The electronic/sonic emitters are a bunch of crap. They do not work and are a complete waste of money. When you find mouse crap and pee on top of them you know that they are useless....

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wait till you clean up after a family of these guys!! Mice are nuthin!!!!:D

[​IMG]

9. 73super

73super

Moth balls if you can stand the smell.. but there's nothing better than the old fashion mouse traps.. a little peanut butter and you got 'em. Just keep setting the traps 'til they're all gone. It works.

10. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i found a nest on the dryer sheet.so thats out.
    glue traps work-once,then need replacing.
    electronic devices may or may not work,but only if electricity is available
    mice hate moth balls,so do i
    soap-as you see they eat it.
    i cant poison,my dog eats mice.
    fresh cab smells ok,lasts the winter and seems to work.
    they also drink water treated with antifreeze.

the pail trap is awesome,antifreeze in the bottom for the winter months.
    i take great care to seal the storage building-that doesent stop the ones riding in on a frame raill or under the seat.

last thing i want is them vermin destroying a customers car.

11. ems customer service

ems customer service

got mice?

don"t bother me!

call a dog

Attached Files:

12. I had a couple in my detached garage last fall. I started all 3 cars in the garage and let them run for about 15 minutes every other month. No problems after that...nighty night. I also used a shi* ton of d-con around the perimeter of the garage.

13. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Well they work for me, haven't seen a mouse in years.

14. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Well they work for me, haven't seen a mouse in years.

15. This never worked for me- I set lots of traps around the cars and check the trap line all Winter-

16. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I know this doesn't make sense buttThe electronic thing didn't work when I knew I had mice, after a trap got the existing mice the electronic device seems to be working ( I leave baited spring traps in a couple of popular places).

My friend has a colony of mice so he bought a professional trap. It is a tin box with a clock spring, when the mouse walks in the entrance tunnel the floor spins out from under the mouse and the mouse falls into a retention center which he puts poison in and the box auto resets.

This kills the mice without exposing his dog to poison. last time he wound the spring, there were 15-20 dead mice in the box.

17. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

IF you can check your traps daily, the trap routine is great.....no pets poisoned, etc. The neatest trap ever invented is the RatBlaster sold at ACE Hardware. It electrocutes the rat/mouse. A customer turned me onto these when I had mice in the attic. He told me to get ready for some fun seeing how many days in a row you can bag a mouse....I did 10 days in a row before I missed. We even killed a pack rat outside with the RatBlaster. Runs on D cells. Neat toy but, at $58 it is a bit pricey.

18. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Weasel, thanks for the link to the CDC site. I truly mean that too. I've cleaned up mouse droppings in the past and was seriously unaware of the danger. As a young man with a family it's a good reminder to slow down and check things out before I ruin alot of lives

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Years ago, my dad tried one of these in our house. That night, I went to get a late night snack and a mouse was sitting on top of the damn thing! Bunch of crap is describing them lightly. Spend your money some place else.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We have 4 cats and a Basset Hound. I don't think there's a mouse in a 2 block radius from here. :D

21. exterminator

exterminator

I have been an exterminator for over 36 years,and the best way to catch a mouse in your car or anywhere is the wood snap traps with the large plastic trigger.You should check them everyday if possible and if you can't,put wax paper under the trap to catch any rotting flesh.

22. R Pope

R Pope

Leaving everything open helps, but they will still get above the headliner and places like that. Cats work best!

23. when my newest 60 tbird <<<<<<<< came home it had 2 bars of irish spring on the package tray and 2 on the dash I asked the guy whats that for he said it keeps the mice out I was like ohhh cool never heard that before.....................bullshit

under the back seat was the biggest damned mouse nest ive ever seen and the headliner is full of holes the car was full of droppings even behind the dash

they got everywhere except on the top of the dash and the package shelf

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I know this sounds like an extreme measure but it works. I fabricated four pans 12" wide X 20" long and 2" high. When it came time to lay my car up for an extended storage, I jacked up the car and placed a pan under each tire and filled it with waste oil. The only way for the mice to get to the car is through the oil. My car is rodent free!

25. rottenrods

rottenrods

I've always sprinkled pepper in my boat before winter storage and never had any problems. I have several friends doing it now also. I swear it works. Only problem is the vacuum time cleaning it up

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

26. Weasel

Weasel

I'll post the links again - please for your own sake's and those of your families, if you wish to continue hot rodding take the time to read this and inform yourselves of the potential deadly outcome of sweeping, blowing or vacuuming mouse and rat droppings.

Everybody who messes with old cars should be aware of the dangers of Hantavirus. It is non traditional since it was first discovered in 1993, but it is a potential killer. I have had it a couple of times and my former doctor - yes that's former - completely ignored it when I told him I had flu like symptoms,urinary tract problems - burning so bad when peeing and passing blood, kidney pain, shortness of breath - and felt really light headed and echoey, followed by burning fever, shivering and a temperature of 104&#730;F to 105&#730;F.

This short description from Wikipedia puts it in very clear terms:

Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is found in the United States and Central and South America. <sup id="cite_ref-16" class="reference">[16]</sup> It is an often fatal pulmonary disease. In the United States, the causative agent is Sin Nombre virus carried by deer mice. Prodromal symptoms include flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, myalgia, headache, and lethargy. It is characterized by a sudden onset of shortness of breath with rapidly evolving pulmonary edema that is often fatal despite mechanical ventilation and intervention with potent diuretics. It has a fatality rate of 50%.

www.hantavirus.net

www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/

www.mayoclinic.com/health/hantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome/DS00900

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

27. outlaw256

outlaw256

weasel, i dont know what hit me that day but ive never had anything like that.and i smoke,alot.but when i couldnt catch my breath i first thought id been bent over to long.but then i got to thinking about that damn car i just cleaned up.at first it was the dust,i thought, then i got to thinking about the hantaviruss that id read about.but my problem set in way to quick for that.whatever it was i aint cleaning up any mouse crap again.not without a FULL RESPIRATOR!

28. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I heard a racket coming from out back of the house late at night. I went out to look and it was a skunk with a rat trap snapped on his head. The 12" string and 1' of black pipe I use to hold the trap in place was banging around. Somebody left the laundry room door open and Mr. Le Pew found the peanut butter baited rat trap. Everybody likes peanut butter. :D

The skunk was spraying constantly as he banged into stuff cause he could not see with the trap on his head. I found out skunk spray makes you feel like you're going to barf if you get a good whiff. Unfortunately there was no way to get the trap off his head so I dropped him with a head shot from my trusty pellet gun. The laundry room stunk bad for what seemed like forever.

I'm not sure of the value my experience adds to this thread, other than make sure you know what you don't want to catch and plan accordingly. We still use rat traps baited with peanut butter because they work great, but I am going to try the bucket trap cause it doesn't catch skunks. :D

29. The bucket with the water and balanced board that tips does work but the $40 ones that use 4 C batteries kick ass! Little peanut butter inside and when they enter BAMM! Zaps them and stops their heart. Couple cool features are stainless inside and they have flashing light when you get one, pick up the trap drop off your dead friend and reset for the next one. I tried glue traps and all I got was TRACKS!

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lippy, what the hell is that? Ocelot? Rhesus monkey? Chupacabra?