Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joining the Hamb

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 22, 2013.

1. I was ask recently by a friend that was interested in joining the hamb to go ahead but I told him not to post about is 72 Chevelle,,it is just a 65 and earlier site.

He replied that he didn't see anything about it in the registration form.

I know this was stated at one time but I don't see it anymore,,is this why so many people get upset when they start posting what we consider later model cars and trucks? HRP

Forum Rules
    Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
    Forum Rules
    Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
    Although the administrators and moderators of THE H.A.M.B. will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of THE H.A.M.B., nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    The owners of THE H.A.M.B. reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. They also reserve the right to release your personal contact information if and only if you are involved in fraudulent activities with other members.
    I have read, and agree to abide by the THE H.A.M.B. rules.

2. slammed

slammed

Are you suggesting that the cut off and the mainline criteria be posted in with this above paragraph? Or suggesting the cut off be raised to 1972 like many of the national events?

3. From what i read of HRP's post is the 65 cut off date info has been dropped from the above quote, I remember it in there when I signed on as well

Sent from my ROID's. using the TJJ mobile app

4. Hokey Ass Message Board
    Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide...

Think that sums it up?

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

What is says in Ryan's Thread " Read this first " is,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

that the HAMB is a Traditional Forum, and that it is up to the User to find out and learn what we mean by that ( paraphrased ).

There are only 6 rules and 4 guidelines listed in that Thread.

It might take a little bit more effort from a User who is just starting out, but it seems to me that in the long run its a much more effective system than trying to spoon feed the Info in.

6. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

The word "traditional" by itself doesn't define a specific point in time. To someone that is 19 or 20 years old that could mean to them a 5.0 Mustang, or even worse, a ricer. Because to them, that might be all they have known as being a "hot rod", even though it isn't to someone that might be 40-50 years old. It just depends on what era you grew up in and were exposed too.

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

You are right.

Traditional could mean a Boydster, to some people.

But Traditional as defined by the HAMB, means something completely different.

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

What about all the GASSER stuff. I thought the cutoff was 65 for build style as well as model year, but have been told otherwise by some of the so called HAMB experts.

"MELTDOWN DRAGS"
    July 20, 21 2013 at Byron Dragway Byron Ill.
    www.meltdowndrags.com

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

It is.

We make some exceptions for some things, but not many.

And then there are some Threads which are Off Topic, but still stay.
    Because there are a lot of Users that have invested in it with quality content.
    Those are grandfathered in...

All these things make it a good thing that we have as few as possible written rules.

And again, it shouldnt cause too many problems.
    As long as a New User is prepared to take a little time and get a feel for the place...

One of the things that I think are great about the HAMB is that you dont have to know the right people to join.
    Or drive a certain car, or build one, or live in a certain place, etc.

All you have to do is show a passion for the type of cars that the HAMB concentrates on, and not act like an idiot ( too much...:D)

10. yes!

hell no!

11. Back in January 2003 there was something to the effect that this site was pre 64 and if you came here to spread the gospel you were welcome. HRP

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tell me what to do. I'll do it!

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

The cut off date ( year and buildstyle ) added to guideline #2 should do it...

14. I'm with HRP on this one.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The reason those years were picked for the classifieds was to exclude the beginning of the Pony car era - Mustangs and Camaro's etc.

65 on the main board and 64 in the classifieds.

64 was target because for the most part most ( not all- but most) of the body styles changed from 64 to 65 in some way.

If the body style from 64 didn't change into 65 etc. - we allow them for sale in the classifieds. There are a few that falls into - not many.

When in doubt - ask a Moderator first before posting in the classifieds.

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  16. slammed

slammed

'Sticky' a re-establish the HAMB. You do an intro-period. If a guy can't/won't, something is wrong with him. NO 17"-up mag/modern wheels, this includes event coverage where the cars become farther and farther from criteria. In turn other's will see this and think its a go. A very black and white redefining of this boards intention will help the cause.

17. Your right Cob,but at one time it stated the pre '64 policy/rule in the registration form for the forum,,with no limitation it could very well be why guys join the forum and start posting photos of there lightning pickup truck or 93 Corvette.

Maybe Ryans post should be incorporated in the registration,HRP

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

18. jesse1980

jesse1980

I agree with hrp, it should be listed on the paragraphs.

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm sure Ryan will make the necessary changes.

20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

That's cool, I didn't realize why the dates were different on parts of the board. And all this time I thought it was so a certain Rivi could be included... ;):D

21. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

HRP is right, in the beginning it was '65, then I thought I saw that it was bumped up to anything pre '70, or at least that's what people post that it is....but I've only been here two weeks...

22. 1954chevyguy

1954chevyguy

Sorry (CNC DUDE) I was 19 when I bought my first classic and grew up around all my life with my mom and grandpas classics I am 29 now and will and always know what traditional means!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Thats good. A lot of younger guys your age might not really know what its all about, especially in the context as it relates to this forum.