Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Show us your hot rod mail box...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, May 24, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It was time to rebuild the mail box. I'm averaging about every ten years.
    It dawned on me after going to search that Edwierd and I can't be the only ones with a hot rod mail box. So let's see everyone's creativity.
    If the tradition nazis want to take it down, have at it. We show creativity in our cars, you know we show it in other aspects of our everyday lives. Mike

2. 35desoto

35desoto

that's neat - love it. I live out in a rural area and have thought about something like this for the last 15 years - but - the kids sometimes go crazy in summer and go up/down the road with baseball bat and take swings at every ones mailbox however this is a statement to our Faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reckon its a natural extention of our garden Art

MMMMMM Can I take and use the wheels off the lawn mower??? LOL

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We used to live further out in the country than we do now...My neighbor had a new mailbox every month, from jerks leaning out of cars with baseball bats.

One Saturday afternoon I stopped in at his (Herb's) house and he was welding some heavy steel plate, looked like a 'D' shaped safe!
    It was his new mailbox. I shuddered...3/8" plate floor, with 5/16" rolled quanset. The door was 3/16", with a blacksmithed hinge.
    He welded it onto a 6" thick-walled well casing, buried it in the ground 4 feet!

A while after that, he got a visit from some county official, about the 'dangerous mailbox'... Turned out the official's kid broke his arm swinging a bat from a moving 'drive-by' car!
    Herb told the official to make tracks...or he'd drag him home with the tractor.
    Herb still uses the mailbox...

4. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

herb is a fuckin bad ass!

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Matter of fact, I've been thinking about this very thing.

I'd like to gut out a V8-60, stand it on an old cut-down city lamp post stanchian, and use the front timing cover for a door....

A tranny shop had an aluminum Powerglide case with the front pump cover hinged...

Halibrand Eng. was fashioning a Quick Change mailbox for the Wellington, Ks. plant some years back...

6. Herb is my kinda guy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Much easier

[​IMG]

8. X10. Herb for prez.

9. The kids are all gone from my neighborhood. I've had the "hot rod" mail box up for more than 20 years. Long enough that I've had to repaint it twice.
    Everyone knows where Mike lives. "Yeah, he lives at the "hot rod" mailbox!"
    The last time I repainted it, about ten years ago, a lady down the street wanted to know why I would go to all that trouble for a mail box. I guess she feels the same about mail boxes as I do about licence plates...

10. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

11. When I was a kid in Indiana there was a mail box on the way into town that was welded chain. I always wondered how they got that chain to stay up there!?!

12. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

I live in the country. My mail box use to have a trick paint job until the wife hired painters to paint the house. Well her heart was in the right place since she didn't want me on ladders anymore.

Attached Files:

13. Davyj

Davyj

just put this up last weekend, My grandson and I painted it up with old model paints While we were at it , we also flamed the donkey and cart that protects people from tripping over the eaves trough....................

Attached Files:

14. THE KUSTOMIZER<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8929669", true); </SCRIPT> , now thats one cool box ! :)
    / primerkid

15. Here's mine.

Attached Files:

16. Plumb

Plumb
    from Dundee, IL

My first attempt, had it pinstriped by a professional.

[​IMG]

17. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you take a picture of my mailbox? My neighbors called one day to tell me their auger came loose on the feed cart and it did more damage to their auger than it did the mailbox.

18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin at mailboxes at the big box store and see they have 1/8 inch plate "vandal proof" box now.

19. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Here is the mailbox I have for the house I am remodeling and plan to move to. I painted the scallops and had a friend number and stripe it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I threw this together one day a couple of weeks ago .

Attached Files: