Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Demystifying the ol' Hood Peak

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, May 1, 2013.

1. I got a nice piece of chain to hold that hood down with if ya need....haha

2. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

My thoughts exactly. This is the type post that keeps me here.

3. After all this work it better not fly up on me... I'm going to weld the damn thing shut! :D

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

5. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Not only it's instructive but it's real smart entertainment, love what you did, you should be proud!

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)That's great fun and why not?:eek::D

7. Very informative and funny as can be! Well done!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man I can tell you have welded about 3.7 miles on this deal... By the time you got into the inner structure stuff you welds had improved 20 fold!
    By the way, if you find yourself welding an inner structure in again, grap a huge handfull of the small needle nosed vice grips (or their non registered trade marked Chinese cousins "Vrice Glip") to hold it all in. Works like a charm when I stitch folks inner structures back together after louvering their hoods.

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Nice work, great post

10. choptvan

choptvan

I love it! So cool! It seems like with our chop, and your peak,. a person could have a pretty cool box! Good job!

11. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

like someone else already stated, "this rules!" have read other threads on how to peak hoods but this one makes it seem doable and correct. thanks!

12. Thanks, yep, I'm getting lots of welding practice on this thing. :rolleyes:

I have a ton of Vice Grip™-like locking pliers in various shapes and sizes, grab 'em anytime I see them cheap. Can't have enough. I just used the S-hooks to help keep a gap closed while I welded it. Worked like a charm.

Thanks guys.

13. Great work brother :cool:

14. A new welding helmet helped too! What an improvement... I can see!

15. Can't wait to see a tatted babe in high heels standing on it :)

16. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

So, where did you get the pre-made 90 degree bent strip of 18 ga.?

17. I ordered that through the metalsupermarket. They're good for cutting and bending some stuff that I can't do at home, and I don't know anyone else with a nice long brake that can make an accurate, clean bend like that.

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

great tech! ive done a few of these damn shoe hoods, the last one I did this way, came out pretty well but still havent got around to finishing it.. that metal can get away from ya real easy on a big, pretty flat hood like these. I threw in the towel on a perfect hood awhile back and had to start over..and yes finding a cherry replacement was the biggest opstical!! great work!

19. RR496

RR496

20. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Time for some headlite treatment ?:cool::D;)

21. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Well written!

22. Ok, so I had the brainwave to make another peak, just to prove to myself that the first one wasn't pure luck...

[​IMG]

Then I had another brainwave (2 in one day! that's gotta be some kinda record for me :D) to shoot a little video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb-3bDnqYwk

And I managed to not only make another peak for a future project, but I managed to film myself doing it in one take (only had one piece of angle left! :D) and I did it all without swearing! Then I even figured out how to upload it to youtube (I think).

Would ya look at that...

[​IMG]

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hell yeah,this just gets better.Nice video!

24. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...damn Andrew, this thread just gets better and better....
    The high quality video is terrific and you are as engaging as the 'Shtickie' guy.....obviously thicker socks helps....

BTW....over 7,000 views of this thread which is great stuff. However, more votes are needed for the top Tech Week prize.....vote people vote....

25. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Great, I wish more guys would throw up video of their work.

26. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Nice stuff Big A. Tell us about your work bench? If I pounded on mine like that everything would have jumped off on to the floor. Is it 1/2" plate or thicker? Bye the way, In my wrecking yard travails I've found that Dodge Vans have a beautiful peak down the side that if cut out would mirror your handiwork and have a pointed starting piece too. Keep up the great work, we are all proud of you. Ralphie

27. We have a shoe box in the shop and the hood needs peakin, thanks for the heads up on making the filler strip, I had a whole different idea but I think I'll be stealing your to make the peice now.

The vid's not quit as entertaining as the read, more wrist and elbow action and less shoulder on the hammer blows and it wont feel so hard.

thanks man I think a shrinker strecher should be on it way to you.

Mark Shearer
    Car Guy's Garage

28. lorodz

lorodz

Great tech.ill be to this point soon on my 50.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. ya outta make another one....if ya get what i mean....

Rockin the shoe as always brother

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Very Nice Video, Professor!:cool::D