Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to buy steel wheels for my 65 F100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cleetus, May 24, 2013.

1. Cleetus

Cleetus
    from Austin

I called around today locally in Austin and tried to find a source for steelies for my 65 F100. No luck. I know Coker and Vintiques sells them but I've heard some horror stories about customer service lately. I just want a plain ol set of steel wheels for my truck. Does anyone know of a local place in Austin to buy these? The 60s F100 has a specific hub center size and I am having trouble finding them. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Go through Summit Racing, and get wheel Vintiques.... Don't mount the tires until the rims are checked.... SPin-um on the balancer.

Summits got the Best return policy, and will take the rims back no questions as long as a tire hasn't been mounted on them....

I have used them, and gonna again, and all my buddies do. I haven't heard any horrer stories from any of them, but we all live 20 min from the Tallmadge store...

3. oldolds

oldolds

Hmmm, seems to me that Ford trucks used the same wheel for many years. I would try a pic-a-part, or about any auto flea market. If your center needs to be bigger just cut it out.

4. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Tons of these at junk yards. If you must go aftermarket go to Pete Paulsen.

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

6. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Junk yards. I am always surprised at the wheels
    I find there, stock or aftermarket.

7. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

X2 on Pete Paulsen.

http://www.petepaulsen.com/

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Junkyard....
    outie cap ford truck wheels are about as common as dirt. The 5 on 5.5 pattern 1928-48 ford car and truck 1928-1996 1/2 Ford truck. Willys Jeeps and Dodge trucks share the same pattern. The offset may be different on some Dodge trucks.
    The only "specific" hub size I'm aware of, is the 4wd trucks used a larger hub in the front.

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

John's Salvage in Seguin.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

X3 for Pete Paulsen.

12. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

If you find a salvage yard that has 1960s steel wheels between Austin and Mexico, I would sure like to know about it. I conducted an exhaustive search for for 4 good 14x6, 5 on 4.5 factory steelies for months. I called numerous salvage yards, HAMB want ad,craigslist want ad and knocked on a lot of doors before I gave up and ordered chrome steelies.

You would think they would be very easy to find but at least twice I was told we scrapped (hundreds/insert number here) last year because of scrap prices and the fact they weren't good sellers.

My chrome ones from Summit were cheap and fast but are universal and start rusting if not cleaned often.

I still intend to replace them.

Last edited: May 25, 2013