Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about Back to the fifties

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milner142790, May 5, 2013.

1. milner142790

milner142790

I have been there every year as long as I can remember but this year will be my first bring a vehicle. I am pre registered and everything but was wondering out of curiosity if the msra inspection is something that is required to be done or is it just suggested? Figured one of you guys on here would know. Thanks fellas

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Ralph

Ralph

Purely voluntary, but still not a bad idea to have another set of eyes look over your ride for safety items.
    Ralph

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Inspection is not required. There will be a card in your show packet that you can display on your vehicle to request an inspection.

4. milner142790

milner142790

That's what I thought but was unable to find any info here or in my linechaser. Thanks for the quick answers!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. jazz1

jazz1

No inspection required and even though you are pre registered you still have to go to the Hampton Inn to pickup "registration materials" Last year the hotel they were located had significant speed bumps in the parking lot..plenty of scrapes on those..

6. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Like you said,they're back to the "Hampton Inn" for registration pick-up this year...more accessible and no speed bumps.

7. TinShed

TinShed

And more of a joke. I wish MSRA would listen to a large part of the membership and let us pay to ship the info to us. I am sick of taking half a day off of work to go get it. I bet someone at MSRA is getting a kick back from the Hampton or.....

Seems fishy to me and may around this side of the cities.

8. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Ab-so-lute-ly !! I'd gladly pay extra just to have it mailed to me!

9. Wowcars

Wowcars

There is nobody getting a kickback from Hampton or anywhere. Its actually more work for MSRA to do it this way rather than mailing (but it is MUCH cheaper). Figure this, the packet you get with two buttons, registration card, maps, dash plaque and other info would cost easily over a $1 per registrant. Multiply that by 13,000 cars, its easy to see one reason they do it this way. Another is to guarantee that the registration is not transferred without their knowing.

You do NOT have to have your car inspected. But you DO if you want it to be nominated for MSRA car of the year.

10. why not have TWO locations to pick up your registrations? one on the south side , one on the north or east. lakeville/Mc Stop area would be great for those coming from the south on I-35. the Hampton would be fine for those coming on I-94 both from the east and north. you could choose where to pick it up when you preregister

having a location on the south side would take a lot of traffic load off the Hampton Inn

that would make too much sense i guess

11. chubbie

chubbie

12. Wowcars

Wowcars

Chubbie, you've seen how chaotic it can be at registration. Now add that to the chaos that is already at the gates at '50s. Trust me, this issue has been beaten to death at membership meetings and they have tried many ways to find a solution.
    Don't want to go? Thats fine, I'll run and make the inconvenient trip to registration for 3 days of catching up with friends and cold beer.

13. i like the registration at the other location...being from out of town, i look at it as another day of the show.
    i do have a few gripes with the msra itself. they are in desperate need of some young blood there, i'd love to be able to pay via paypal or something like that. being from north of the border, i have to mail a certified cheque to them for everything. and because im a procrastinator by nature, i usually have to send it express just to get it there by the deadline.:)

14. I don't mind registration, we do it Thursday afternoon , doesn't take long and we still hang out for a few hours checking out cars at registration. Kind of a small car show by itself! I've seen cars at registration that I will never see at the show. So I spend the time and walk the parking lots.

15. Great event! I've been going for the past 15 years. It's an all day drive from Kansas City, but I wouldn't miss it. It's a long haul home after the Sunday Swap Meet. It would be nice to schedule the Sunday afternoon drawing to Saturday evening. That would give you time to load up your winnings (if you are lucky) and get home before midnight...

16. chubbie

chubbie

Your from st. Paul.........................think about it

17. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

What are these other shows you speak of? I have been to many large car events (NSRA & Goodguys) and never registered or picked up registration materials at the event location. Now I can see a smaller show getting away with something like this, but not one with almost 12,000 cars. Besides MSRA does not get the fairgorunds until Thursday so registration would have to be set up Thursday morning and only be open for part of the day on Thursday. Can you imagine the mess at the fairgrounds on Friday & Saturday morning when the spectators are trying to park, participants are trying to get in and people are trying to register. When you have an event this large you are not going to make everyone happy. For every 1 person that says to make changes there are 1000 people that say don't.

18. bobw

bobw

There are many inconveniences associated with attending a show with 13,000 cars. Yet the people still come.

If you don't like crowds, lines, delays etc, then it is best for your sanity to attend smaller shows. You have to decide whether the attractions of a mega event outweigh the inconveniences and make your decision based on that.

A show this size simply suffers from volume congestion. The MSRA has modified and tweeked procedures, etc. over the years and what is done now is the best the group has come up with. I can't imagine there's an idea that has not been considered.

19. alchemy

alchemy

Wow. If that is the main reason to not go to a show I can't image you'd have much fun anywhere.

We always show up about 1 on Friday and it takes us half an hour to get into the host hotel and then out with our packets. No problem. We come from the south like you, and we stay at a hotel on the north side of town, so it's no biggie for us to drive the loop.

Geeze I can't wait for BTTF's time to get here!

20. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

Is the registration at the Hampton this year or at the Mermaid like last year?

21. Speed~On

Speed~On

I believe Registration Pick-up is at the Hampton this year as the road construction has been completed in that immediate area. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, traveling to the hotel to pick up our registration can be a pain. I agree with some of the others though; you have to look at Thursday registration pick-up as part of the experience...or a mini show.
    2012 was the first year I went to the Thursday registration pick-up as it was the fist time I had a car in the show. It appeared everyone at registration was enjoying themselves. (Lots of cars present)
    I am traveling quite a ways to get to the Twin Cities. Then it's another 50 minutes from where I'm staying to the hotel to pick up my registration on Thursday. Would you rather be at work....or having a blast at BTT50's weekend??? I love my job, but I'll take the 50's!!;)

My father and I make a day of it. We pick up our registrations Thur morning, then go to a cruise-in Thur evening in Minnetonka. Then early Fri morning the real shit begins!:D

I hope all of you decide to attend the show and enjoy a great weekend.
    Safe travels for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfri8jCpu0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EOqwp52DGA

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801705

22. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

I wish they would hand deliver my registration and buttons to me … then, put my buttons on me and drive my car to it's appropriate parking spot. Then they could provide a shuttle from my house to the grounds to use as I please. That would be more convenient for me.

23. Our motel is only a few miles from the fair grounds, good location. We've been stay'n at the same motel for about 20 years. Registration is the least of my worries. If anyone has to bitch about the registration then they better stay home! This is one of the best shows you will see! this year it sounds like they will have some decent bands playing the weekend to! What other show can you go to and cruise the fairgrounds with open exhaust/uncapped headers!

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Bet a donut that most of the whiners dont volunteer to work at the show or for MSRA.
    That would interfere with the lawn chair lamenting about how the show could coddle them a bit more.
    Think those goodie bags were filled by a machine?
    The gate or registration areas are manned by folks getting paid?
    Any guess of the hours that are logged to hire bands,find corporate sponsors,deal with contracts for everything from fairground rental to vendors?
    All volunteer work so YOU can enjoy the show.
    Not happy? Think there needs to be new blood? Run for a board position and get involved and keep track of the hours invested.I volunteer 40 hours a year for the club and thats nothing compared to many others who are not even on the board.

25. all this talk of registration....who remembers when you could register for BTT50s at the fairgrounds?

26. bri0057

bri0057

Never going to make everyone happy. The best car show on earth...if you don't like it stay home. There is nothing better than getting in line at 3am Saturday morning for a full day of exhaust fumes and sun. Wouldn't miss it for anything. So lucky to have a show like this in Minnesota.

27. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

best bang for the buck for a car show of this size!

28. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I can remember when we were on the hill with reg involved then and now seem s like a million years ago love doin it ....hey alc,bring any lite with ya?

29. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

LOVE THESE!!

I've been to every one since I was a kid in 1977. When I got my coupe in 1982, I couldn't wait to get my car done for 50's. There's been alot of things that have changed over that time. Some I like, some I don't. I suggested when it was the 30th annual to pull the plug, or to say "Sorry" to the non members just to make smaller again! I also said they should to change the cut off year to 1959(like it was LONG ago) Or to change it to "Back to 1964 weekend". :)
    Every year though, I've had enough of all the drama by the end of the weekend. But then as soon as spring hits, I can't wait for the "big" weekend to come!!

Unfortunately this year, I have to miss most of the event for a family event in Denver. My wife has been kind enough to try and schedule our flight out for as late as possible on Friday,so I can spend time out at the show. This year for sure I'm glad to have not had my packet mailed to me, as it gives me another day of looking at cars! On the down side, besides missing the swap meet, I'll also miss my 2 or 3 shifts I usually work too, so more chances to win prizes for those who do work! ;)

30. Speed~On

Speed~On

It's nice to see that most of us do not mind the way registration is handeld. Like I said, I think it's all part of a very fun filled weekend.