Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chevy violent steering!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkeesey, May 24, 2013.

1. jkeesey

jkeesey

To start off this project seems to be the one from hell. So the car is a 57 Chevy Townsman with who cares what SBC engine. It has an original power steering unit underneath and now since installing the A/C unit it has a Tuff Stuff power steering pump and Allan Groves mount bracket. I just had the power steering lines made to fit like factory for a large chunk of change in my mind and after hooking them up and testing it at first the wheel was hard to turn than all of a sudden the steering wheel starts violently turning from lock to lock. I tried a troubleshooting search on their site and couldn't find anything. Could these hoses be hooked up wrong or is the pump too much for the old system?

2. redhumphries

redhumphries

your hoses are backwards if it worked fine before. Ive done the same thing myself. Be careful it could break your arm if you try to stop it. Hope this helps RED

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

I just let go of the wheel. Hopefully I can find adapters to change them at the bottom instead of getting new $35 a piece fittings installed up top.

4. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

check the the regulator valve out on the ram . you can adjust it

5. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Hoses are baackwards

6. terryble

terryble
    from canada

reversed hoses or valving, although valve issues usually just spin it violently to one side and almost always on a freshly rebuilt steering bow or ram.

7. jkeesey

jkeesey

The hoses were backwards. I had the hydraulic shop make the new hoses the same as the old ones and apparently the pump side is different than the original. I made some adapters via NAPA and changed them at the ram and all is well.