Register now to get rid of these ads!

maybe relocating to San Antonio Tx

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WiredSpider, May 23, 2013.

1. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Have a job offer to relocate to San Antonio.
    Just wondering about the cost of living,crime rate,hot rod scene,weather etc etc.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

San Antonio is a pretty safe city, just depends on what area you settle in. Avoid west side and east central n u should be ok. As far as car scene, Austin is nearby and we all know that scene. There's swap meets at the pig stand restaurant every other Sunday, car cruise at I35 and topperwein every Friday, not to mention Genghis Grill on Fridays, bass pro shops cruises, and the peripheral stuff like new braunfelds swap meets, etc. plus you will find things to do/see for about a year before u get bored with it. Lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Oh the cost of living is relatively cheap but u may find the summers especially hot coming from Colorado

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. belair

belair

Humidity there is tuff. But it's a neat city and the Hill Country is just a few minutes away.

5. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Yep. It has all those.

6. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

San Antonio is a great city to live in. Like ANYWHERE you go there are sides of town that you want to just steer clear of. Stay to the North side of town if you can. Like everyone else has said. The street scene here is year round for the most part. Weather is hot and humib in the Summers and the Winter is from Feb 1st to Feb 15th. Hardly ever will you see snow and there is the more of a chance to see ice on the streets if anything at all. When that happens the city closes down cause no one knows hot to drive on ice let alone wet streets!

I live in the Houston area now and the Summers are just as hot but way more humid!

Cost of living is relatively cheap there... Not sure if Colorado has a state income tax but Texas does NOT!

7. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Thanks for all the info guys

8. Watch out for drivers running into houses. Nearly everyday houses become drive-thru's.

9. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

Hot & Humid-Yes
    Avoid westide & eastside-depends on where you go
    Every First friday of the Month at Pigstand On Broadway their is a cruise night, mostly classics and hot rods, but of course other types wander in as well as in all cruise nights
    Every 2nd and 3rd sunday is the hotrod swapmmet at Pigstand
    Every 3rd OR 4th Friday of the month is the New Drive INN/Hot Rod Drive INN free Movie nights at Broadway Bar
    Every Saturday on the far WEST side is Big at 151 and Portranco its a Texaco gas station with a huge parking lot that has a weekly saturday cruise night
    crime rate not bad- drunk drivers real bad so avoid late night driving
    lots of friendly car clubs
    all summer long all types of great car shows for good causes
    also some unsung hot rod garages that let ya stop by and say hi or shoot the shit with every now and then.

10. jmpowie

jmpowie

its under water now.

11. He is correct! Now is the time to check the areas that you might choose to live....You may have to buy a boat too.:eek:

Seriously, I was there about 10 years ago and had a great time. Granted, it was for a vacation and wedding, but we traveled around and saw many things with friends who live there. There was a lot of construction going on, so the job market looked good if someone needed work. And, I went to the Alamo! Very Kool.

Murph:cool:

12. shadams

shadams

Well, I have a love/hate relationship with SA. I grew up there, and 5 yrs ago moved to the hill country to get away from it. Seems the more ready made box neighborhoods they build, and then give away, the more the undesirables move northward, and bring all the problems along with them. I grew upon the NW side of town and have watched it go downhill. The morning we woke up and some punks had spray painted the fence across the street from us was when we knew it was time to go.

I had been cleaning spray paint off the mailboxes and picking up trash for a year prior all by myself. I had hoped people would see what I as trying to do and join in, but no dice. With the retail centers popping up all over you end up creating a haven for car burglars, cant even go to the movies without worrying about coming out to a broken window or door handle. Sure, there are pockets of nice areas, and north of 1604 is your best bet, but its just a matter of time.

The traffic is horrible pretty much everywhere, as all the construction to improve it takes so long by the time it is done the pop has increased to the point of needing more work.

I am probably describing any city these days, but it just bums me out cause it is such a nice place to have grown up. It gets hot, but no snow, no earthquakes, tornadoes, or volcanoes, and by the time the hurricanes get here they are just bad storms.

The economy is great here. Housing is affordable and you should be able to upgrade compared to Colorado prices. There is a ton of stuff to do and more and more I see people out cruising their rides. I see ads for car shows all the time. Big time crime is pretty low, mostly petty stuff. Just dont leave anything in sight in your car and you should be fine..

Plenty of stuff to keep the kids busy, nice downtown area and the Riverwalk is awesome lots of music around, and there is a ton more to do if willing to drive an hour or so in any direction.

I would consider looking outside the city limits and commuting, but that may not be feasible depending on where the job is.