Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 DeSoto coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, May 23, 2013.

1. I'm considering (undecided) selling my 32 DeSoto 3 window coupe;...not sure what to price it at but want the most I can get as I could use the money for other projects.
    Complete chassis with orig. springs/axles, no orig. wheels but will roll with other wheels/tires to load, body not too bad except for floor and inner wheelwells are rusted out; I have another pair of rear quarters for the car in better condition.
    Nice doors,(have both)no grille, have all fenders but need work, no decklid, frame has a few spots rusted out as well but very fixable.
    What would be the going price for this car?...have clear Illinois title in my name....same body as 32 Plymouth PB.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Probably $1500-2500 tops. Best thing is you have paperwork... if the frame is numbered and matches the paperwork. An engine number without an engine isn't gonna work.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

The paperwork means nothing in the state of Connecticut, so it has nothing to do with the value here. The Desoto grille shell for that car is going to equal the sale price on what you have there. Great looking cars finished, just a long way to get there with the rewooding work the body will need. Bob

4. Agree.....maybe even a little more to the right person. After all, it IS a 3w suicide door coupe.....

5. Bart78

Bart78

I don't see 1,500 on it. There is not enough there. I guess people pay different regionally. If I were to come on that around here I would probably give around 500 for it.

6. Worth way more then $1500! There's a guy not that far from here who got $3500 for a 1932 Plymouth 3 window coupe, appears like yours is in better condition then his was!

7. Hell, the doors alone could be worth the $1,500.00. You simply cannot find them anywhere.

stanlow69 likes this.
  8. Yep! not many early 30's Desotos out left out there anymore! Desoto didn't sell a whole lot of the early 30's cars

9. They only made 2,897 coupes for DeSoto in 1932.....very rare as far as I am concerned.

10. i bought a 32 chrysler a few years ago that was in better shape and had the grill shell and dash paid 1500. all chrysler products from this era are rare for sure. the problem with truely rare stuff is finding some one to buy it. the parts to complete this are like hens teeth to find. its a harder road to travel compared to the fords but well worth the jorney when done. see my photo album to see what one can look like done.

11. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

True statement!! I have a 32 pb and parts are def. hard to find that are decent. I have seen grilles and other pieces on fleabay recently. I would pay at least 3k for it if I were still looking. It took me awhile to find a early mopar. 33-34 are more popular but 32 looks the best!!! Good luck with the sale, don't sell it cheaper than you think its worth. Mopar guys are rare, but out there.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't even see the pictures and know it is worth more than $1500.00.

maybe it is time for a new social group: "HAMB lowballers club", dedicated to offering lowball prices to people looking for a value of the car they need to sell.

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Some guys will pay, some won't. I know some guys that will search forever to save a buck, and other that buy it when they need it and value their own time as money. You get both extremes on these threads...

14. ...thanks for the replies so far; the car came without a grille, I know I couldn't afford one if I were to find one, I planned on using a 32 Plymouth grill if I were to build the car as I like those...and I'd probly build it as a highboy but save the fenders if I wanted em later.
    To me these coupes look better than a Ford but I know parts are a bear to find. As far as finding ones like this for $500-1500; be sure to let me know about em if you're not interested.
    ..there's plenty here to work with and some guys on the HAMB could have this thing lookin great in a few weeks. I'm no bodyman, so kinda beyond my expertise.
    Thanks again for all the replies.

15. Accidently weld your wallet shut? :cool:

16. Bart78

Bart78

No. But if I was going to end up putting as much money as would have to go into that car. I would not be doing it with a 32 dodge. I know they are rare and nice cars. But growing up in a family into pre war fords. I never saw another brand of car but ford. And the reason for this is. Because when people are looking at buying pre war american cars most want a ford. I know there are other good cars out there. But when I buy a car I want to be able to make money off it if I had to sell it in the condition I got it in. Some of us have the luxury to live in places where there are still a bunch of these cars sitting out in fields or in old barns.

17. Buy coupes in that condition or better for $500 and I'll double your money :D

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ditto, I wont pay over $1000 for anything other than a 32 ford in that shape. I'd say $400 or $500 for the body mabey an extra $300 since it has a title, Oh and mark a few hundred off since it isn't on the west coast.

Even around here I pass up nicer tin for cheaper

19. expavr

expavr

As a frame of reference I paid $5,000.00 for a 33 Chrysler Imperial as you see it including running boards, grille shell with decent stainless insert, headlight buckets with lenses and a bunch of other original parts that weren't used in the rebuild. As you can see the decklid and rear frame cover were MIA and had to be fabricated. The hard parts to find for these early MOPARS are the grille shell and insert, the headlight buckets and the hood. The finished photo gives some idea of what these cars look like with some tlc.

Attached Files:

20. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

21. Wow I never saw one of those before.

22. One large problem with those is the amount of wood inside compared to the 1932 DeSoto.

23. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Funny how if this was a Ford, you would have 100 guys in your
    driveway right away...But being a NON Ford, the picture is TOTALLY
    different....I own the SAME car, in about the same condition, I am
    lucky enough to have a decklid...which as everyone has said, is
    REALLY hard to find....mine came without a windshield frame or
    window garniches....two of the hardest things to find...did buy
    a windshield frame...but the garniches have still eluded me, might
    have to settle for 2dr sedan's and cut them down, like they would
    be easier to find....NOT !!!!!!!!! The big difference I see, is that,
    Ford stuff can be bought, patch panels and pretty much everything
    else....so of course, more guys would like to go that direction....I
    think these cars are just a nice as a Ford, if not prettier...remember !!,
    If you sell it....you won't find another....if you maybe sell off other
    projects, you might be able to afford to have someone bang it into
    shape for you....that is what I hope to do with mine.....Title ??? I
    have that too, might important to many folks...sorry for rambling !!!!
    Highboy style, Baby Hemi,33/34 Ford Frame, Channeled a bit....WILL
    BE A DARN NICE CAR......LAST POINT !!! I have listed my here on the
    HAMB, on Ebay, on Craiglist......NOT ONE INTERESTED PERSON !!!!!

24. expavr

expavr

"but the garniches have still eluded me, might
    have to settle for 2dr sedan's and cut them down, like they would
    be easier to find....NOT !!!!!!!!! "
    The window garnishes were missing on the Imperial. I modified garnishes from a 47 Chevy 2 door. They work fine and look like they belong.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw that car a few weeks ago at the CSRA Swap Meet in Bristol, Ct. Maybe 5 years ago at the same swap was a 100% complete 1932 DeSoto 3Window for under $10,000. Wonder were that DeSoto is today? Bob

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I hate you

27. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

EXPAVR....anyway you could send me a photo of the inside
    of your door, to let me see how they look???? Would sure
    appreciate it....Les in Minnesota [email protected]

28. hellerlj,....my thots exactly; if this were a Ford in twice as bad condition, I'd have people sayin it was worth $10 grand! ...I like the lines of these cars better than the Ford, but the parts availability really is detrimental to building one easily. I'm still undecided on the sale but have had 4-5 guys interested in the car, but no prices were mentioned....and I have a few guys locally who have shown interest in it.

29. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

If you DO decide to let it go, please keep me in mind...I Might be a buyer ???????

Anyway you could post a photo or two of the extra qtrs you have ???

Les in Minneapolis

30. wil do on both accounts...later today.