Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Plymouth deluxe problems

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by papeenun, May 23, 2013.

1. papeenun

papeenun
    from texas

I have a 1941 Plymouth and after replacing several parts (Coil, points, battery spark plugs, cables) and cleaning the gas tank, It ran nice, but once it heated up it stops and its hard to get started. Any assistance will be very much appreciated. A mechanic wants me to convert it to 12v and possibly get a new engine and tranny, but i want to keep the vehicle in its original form.

2. tassiepete

tassiepete

could be the coil over heating,you could be creating a vacuum in the gas tank,could be lots of things but hang in there, those old engines are great..oh and welcome!

3. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Your problem is most likely ignition, or fuel, but as tassiepete said, it could be any number of problems. These cars can be a lot of fun in their original form, and parts are still readily available.

In order to cut to the chase of your problem, check in with the go-to-guys over at the P-15 D-24 site.

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/index/

4. papeenun

papeenun
    from texas

Thank you. I checked my spark pugs and they're black (burned, lots of carbon). What's a normal temperature for my engine? I will check the link you sent me. Thanks again.

5. papeenun

papeenun
    from texas

6. papeenun

papeenun
    from texas

I'm thinking on replacing the carburetor. I still have he 6v system in it. Should I relocate the coil? I just hate to get rid of my ENGINE.

7. tassiepete

tassiepete

if you lived in Tasmania i'd roll around to your place with a carton of beer,talk cars and either fix it or at least find the problem.how-ever......im sure theres a an old car guy in your neighbourhood, go and say hello

8. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

What we need to do is get this problem out of the introduction of new members. Find your way to the main H.A.M.B. discussion forum. There you will find a search button. You will be able to research the problem you are having. Loads of information is available to you there. If you still have problems figuring out where to begin, use the "Start A New Thread" button at the bottom of the forum page. Hope this helps.

By the way, the 1941 Plymouths are very cool. Don't let anyone talk you out of that engine and tranny, unless you want to ditch them. Your car is simple, clean, and easy to service and maintain once you learn the basic principles of how it was designed.

Keep it fun!

9. papeenun

papeenun
    from texas

thank you for the great tips.