Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. OldColt

OldColt

Know what you mean 440 Deluxe. I will admit to at least 6 thread checks per day .. lol. Looks like the plumbing is done, and when that battery juice hits the starter the old gal will make some beautiful racket. --- Steve ---

2. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

The Moonlighter Lives!

3. Thought it was the thunder and lightening outside. Heard it clear up hear in MD. L.O.L.:) I figure everyone was goose bumps and teary eyed.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL INVOLVED IN ITS RESURRECTION

4. OldColt

OldColt

Sorry for posting twice in a row, but I had to respond to this post also. My dad was a sheet metal craftsman & welder. He helped me with fab work on my drag car back in the 70's. I thought he did the most beautiful tin and bracket work I had ever seen. Quain's appears ever bit as good as dads. I was a huge fan of the old gas coupes back in the 60's, but never saw any as finely crafted and painted as the Moonlighter at our local strips. The combination of the blacks,whites,blues, and gold is quite stunning on the car. Gene had a really good eye, and we are seeing it recreated again. Will have to see it in person when it gets a little closer to my location, or I can ever get a day or two off for travel. --- Steve --
    GOSH!! ... have to edit this post because I was posting when the "Moonlighter Lives" post came in. A BIG CYBER HI FIVE TO GENE & THE GUYS from the Old Colt !! --- Steve ---

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

:D;):eek::rolleyes::) ..... is it really running now?

6. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

Just wanted to mention that on Saturday when the Moonlighter returns it will appropriately return on a day with a full moon. Coincidental but still interesting.

Gene has a video of the first breath of the Moonlighter, but there were some technical difficulties with the up load. I am sure he will upload the exciting moment today.

7. OldColt

OldColt

OK Guys, let us all not watch the video at the same time & crash the You Tube server ... LOL. --- Steve ---

8. dirt42

dirt42

I'll keep checking back every hour on the hour looking to see if the upload issues have been resolved. Man I wished I could be at Greer on Saturday.

9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That makes a "BUNCH" of us... I'm thrilled to hear a big inch Ford idling and mashing the gas pedal!! We can all imagine the pressure these guys are under, getting her ready for Greer Saturday - I WOULD KILL TO BE THERE!!!:D

10. hr racecar

hr racecar
    from Comer, GA

A friend sent me this link to a youtube video transfered from 8mm movie camera. It is from a family video of Wayman Yarborough and his "Invader" 55 Chevy in 1968. The "Invader" was owned by Paul King, Marshal Yarborough, and Wayman Yarborough. Most is from 13 Forks Dragstrip near Elberton GA. There is one clip of "The Cotton Picker" anglia that has been mentioned in the Moonlighter thread. Then it goes to a track that looks like it may be in the edge of the mountains somewhere. There is one quick clip of "The Moonlighter" making a pass here. The film cuts off before we can see the decklid. I am sure someone here remembers this track with a round track beside it.............Toni
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXd0tKzbWfo&feature=youtu.be

11. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Ha, I clicked it about 8 times, damn you youtube just give me a little taste of that injected sound !

13. dirt42

dirt42

My sister drove by Genes tonight on the way home and she said you couldn't find a parking spot anywhere in that big driveway of Genes. Sounds like he's got a full house checking in and offering their help. Good thing they got the bus parking lot up the street...:D

14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thanks so much Gene! I can imagine how thrilled you are and all of the people involved in resurrecting your Moonlighter!! By far my favorite thread from being a member here on the H.A.M.B for so many years! I'll be there in spirit at Greer!! :D

15. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

Link not working for me , any of you guys able to watch it?

16. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

No luck here either =(

17. OldColt

OldColt

Nope, link takes me to to the You Tube video window, shows the video name correctly, but does not play.

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be so many people trying to watch the link is down...been checking for the last hour and 1/2 .

This video is currently being processed.

Please check back in a few minutes.

19. The Moonlighter is ALIVE

Gene got it running last night,but I actually heard it run,,not once but TWICE today!:D

John finished polishing the headlight bezels and Chris Harper cut and installed the headlight decals and installed the bezels.

Then a reporter & a photographer showed up and kept Gene busy for at least an hour after she left Dennis had Gene in the drivers seat and figured out how much foam he needed to finish the headrest.

While Dennis is putting the finishing touches on the seats & headrest,,John is installing the garnish moldings.

Dave finished up welding the tube rear bumper,,Melvin has been tying up loose ends all day.

Both of Genes daughters show up as I was leaving.

BTW,,,Gene's Mother turned 100 today.:) HRP

20. Thanks for the play by play brother. We're over here on the west coast working on the '56 so we can come run with you guys in the not too distant future.

21. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

Link is working ! Can't wait till Saturday , man it sounds good !

22. sbs

sbs

Just watched the Moonlighter start up video twice and that engine sounds ANGRY! Gene still has it.

23. violet springs

violet springs

Link works great, Couple of old pros there, Gene adjusting the timing by ear and the other guy pressurizing the fuel tank with a little lung power.

24. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

The link is live now! I watched it twice!!:D

25. primed34

primed34

Link worked for me. Made my day.

26. Sounds healthy. Has quite a growl to her.
    Gene... your a true all round american drag racer deserving of all the accolades that are going to be bestowed on you. We all know from stories you were a hellva driver. This video shows you are also a master engine builder.

ENJOY SATURDAY ITS YOUR DAY

Last edited: May 23, 2013
    wwilliammc likes this.
  27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Congratulations Gene! So great to see and hear the FE 427 come to life once again after so many years. It sounds Great!

28. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

It works!!! I have goose bumps, wish i could have been there!!

29. I was fortunate enough to be a Gene's this afternoon while he was tuning,,Holey Moley,,I was 16 again watching my childhood hero,,Congratulations Gene! HRP

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hWTMFoGKozY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

That video proves Quains hunch was right on figuring out Gene could tune that injection unit. That sucker is crisp.
    I hope I get a chance to see her run.

"MELTDOWN DRAGS"
    July 20, 21 2013 at Byron Dragway Byron Ill.
    www.meltdowndrags.com