Register now to get rid of these ads!

The whole story of my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe "barn Find" and how I am preserving it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Jan 1, 2013.

1. shadams

shadams

I know this has been said a million times, but they havent made cars with that much character in a long time. I love everything you have done, keep em comin....

2. oldsboy

oldsboy

I absolutely love this car. Keep up the preservation, its perfect!

3. jhaas63

jhaas63

From one Wisconsin guy to another, I love your car and what you are doing.

4. Thanks guys, the tank is from Bob Drake and cost $325. It is 14 gallons and identical to a stock tank except it takes a 40 style sending unit. Fits perfect.

I had coil trouble and sent the original to Skip to get rebuilt. I got it back the other day and installed it. Here are a few pics of it. On the right is the 2 year old made in china coil that does not work anymore.

[​IMG]

This is the coil from my 1950 F1 that works great still. It was a temporary fix.

[​IMG]

And this is the rebuilt by Skip coil. It looks brand new!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. cheveey57

cheveey57

Damn that's beautiful.

6. I took some time on Saturday to make a quick floor patch so I could install the rubber floor mat.
    I made a cardboard template, cut out a piece of sheet stock with the grinder and screwed it in for now until I can weld it in later. Then I put in the new floor mat I bought from Mac's. What a difference that makes. Plus the water cant splash up on me anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding.Cars looking good.How is Orville doing?Your friend Willie should be designated a "National Treasure".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. EliteS&C

EliteS&C

WOW! It took me FOREVER to read all of the pages of this thread, & I must say it was worth it! Great find, story, & outcome! Congrats on one of the best barn finds ever! I love what you're doing with it! Enjoy!

10. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Yes ,how about some updates on the people in your story.??:cool::D

11. I have been driving the 36 as much as I can. A few weeks back I took my son to Boy Scouts with it. When we got out it was getting close to dark. We hopped in the 36 and started to leave the parking lot, turned on the lights and blew the fuse. I tried the parking lights and same thing. I knew the wiring was frail but I was hoping it would be ok. So I decided I needed to replace the lighting harness. A few days later the right hand water pump started leaking bad enough that I did not want to drive it, so I bit the bullet and bought pumps and the lighting wiring harness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I removed the harness from the column I realized just how bad of shape it was in.

[​IMG]

I removed the horns and cleaned the contacts and replaced the leads. They actually work now. While had the horns out I changed the pumps right away. I drained the water and pulled the pumps off.

[​IMG]

This is how the block looks. Pretty clean.

[​IMG]

I painted them quick and threw them on. I used Indianhead gasket dressing to seal things up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent 2 hours replacing the pumps and all day Sunday replacing the lighting harness. Naturally the parts I bought were not as good as the originals so I reused what I could. I had to find the plastic piece in the tail light socket that was missing and found it on a 39 parts car I have. It is handy to have parts when doing this type of stuff.

I then took the car for a ride down the highway. It was the first time over 45 for me in this car. It drove and handled very well. I was pleasantly surprised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Flyin down the hi-way! :)

I enjoy reading this thread. Great work and thanks for writing about it.

13. I had a flat tire and I was actually able to fix it myself. I had recently changed the tires so they came off pretty easy. I pulled the tube, found the hole and patched it. Good to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. camcb

camcb

"I can't drive 55!" Seems to fit :)

15. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I envy you sooo much, a hell of a find. Subscribed.

16. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Great thread---I had a 36 3 window back in about 64. Let it go---just like a lot of other good stuff. See my signature---

18. Great thread. I have lusted after '36 three windows since I was a teenager. :rolleyes:

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Just read this whole thread...great story of a great find. So glad you didn't decide to pull the flathead and put a OHV in it...the car just reeks "Uncle Daniel" original and I for one would've hated to see you ruin it.

There are cars that need to be "rodded" and there are cars that need to stay as they are...you have the latter...please do not change a thing.

R-

grifcarnut likes this.
  20. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

That car's fantastic, and I love what you're doing with it. Great thread.

21. I think thats great!!!!

22. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Still the best story on the HAMB....;):cool::D

23. Ha, Ha! Kinda funny!

I too drove our 36 Ford to Boy Scouts to pick up my son couple years back. After dark and the lights worked fine. Did smell a little gassy - leaky fuel line I thought. Better get it home and fix ASAP!

Pulling out of the parking lot in the dark and BAM!! Like a shot gun inside the car! Flames shot out the side louvers and then smoke. Opened the hood and watched the small fire get larger - no extinguisher! Someone ran across the street to Homeland for an extinguisher as I tried to snuff it with rags and etc.

Saved the car but burned up the engine bay - lost all wiring, hoses and melted the radiator solder! cooked the paint on hood cowling and grill and ...

Hard won lesson - keep an extinguisher in each car now!

24. eightbanger

eightbanger

Way cool story! Thanks for sharing the pics!

25. 5lam

5lam

Amazing story! And damn that looks good considering how long it sat! Good to see you're not changing anything cosmetically.

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

27. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

awesome story! nothing quiet like a '36 3 window coupe barn find. get it mechanically sound and drive it like you stole it.

28. Thanks everyone for the replies. I plan on fixing things as needed and driving it as much as I can. I don't want to paint it, but I do want to remove the tarps pieces and rub out the Lacquer paint. I have a few items still to fix. Next thing to do it to fix the valve train tick. Not sure what the problem is yet.

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I've looked at this thread several times off and on. I keep going back to it. Unbelievably cool story with all the right things going on. I could only imagine stumbling onto something as cool as this. 36 3 window fords are one of my favorite cars of all time. Every time I see that first pic of the car sitting there after they had dragged it out it makes my heart skip. So cool.

You not only did well, you're doing everything right too.

I will be following this story ( and simultaneously dreaming of this scenario falling into my lap some day with a 3 window)

Very cool man.

30. I had the pleasure of visiting with Jean and Orville tonight. We talked about the 36 and about life. Orville did not want to go for a ride but Jean did so we went for a 10 minute ride. Then we went for a walk and stumbled upon the missing hub cab for the 36! How lucky was that? They are happy with what I am doing with the car. Jean thinks I should paint it. I told her the paint is the cheap part, it is the chrome and the weatherstrip and body work that are expensive. If I was going to redo it it would be 100% and I don't think I can do it to the car. It is fun the way it is.

[​IMG]