Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new love... 1956 Caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PinstriperGirl, Sep 16, 2012.

1. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

Just posting an update. I hoped to have more done to the car by now but life got in the way. I had to take time away from working on the car for a bit but I'm back in the garage and can't wait to continue with the project.

I have taken out nearly all of the interior. I only lost one pin for the passenger side door handle and only broke 3 of the plastic "O" rings for the passenger vent window, door handle and rear door handle. I managed to remove the driver side door handles and vent window handle with no problems. :D

This Weeks Goal:
    Taking the dash apart. After the dash is out all of the mouse nests should be eliminated. The mouse smell is gone and now it just smells like old car and dirt.

The next goal (If I'm lucky and the dash comes out nicely):
    Attached I have taken a picture of the drivers side floor. After I finish up with the dash I hope to put in new floors you can see the Caddy needs them bad, especially the driver side.

Thanks for all of your support and help as I journey through my first project.

Ps. I have stopped using gloves while working on the car because I have discovered how inconvenient they are and have learned to deal with getting my hands dirty and stained. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. cmarcus

cmarcus

GO GO GO Girl! Looks like a sweet find.

3. Glad to see that you are gettin dirty and making progress!

4. REDMAN48

REDMAN48

5. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

Yes it had factory air and heat but it is the one part of the car someone had removed before I got it. It even had the original factory caddy floor mats still in it and some other neat items when i bought it. Thanks for the info on the pans. Do you have any pictures of your 56?

6. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I can't wait to see you get this on the road.I'm waiting for the snow to melt to drive mine.Pretty cool you have alot of the original stuff floor mats ect.

7. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks for the link.:D

8. seatex

seatex

Gotta love those sexy 4 door hardtops! Congrats, PSG!

9. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

10. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

11. REDMAN48

REDMAN48

Yes mine had factory air in it too.. i just don't know how hard it is going to be to fix the A/C or would it be cheaper to do something else.. ill have pics posted very soon.. car set in a field for about 15 years with windows up and vent window busted. It was a perfect car till the owner parked it bec the brakes went out.

12. REDMAN48

REDMAN48

Heres the pics i got when i first pulled it out of the woods and put a little soap to it... Now to start tearing her down

Attached Files:

13. REDMAN48

REDMAN48

I finally got it into the shop after almost tearing the hubs all the way off the front of the car ha but we got her in safe and sound

Attached Files:

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Whoa mama! There was a time you'd rather have a shoebox over a caddy?!?!?!

I'd love me a big ol' caddy some day.

15. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

Original paint? Color looks pink and maybe white? It's beautiful, great find! You said the brakes are bad but is the engine still run? Any information you come up with on the AC let me know, I'm not sure what to do about it. Thanks for posting pics. I love the old Caddy's.

16. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

I grew up a little, the more I learn about cars, the more refined my tastes get. I was at a car show this weekend and I learned that it must be a favorite of all women to love the old ford's or the old merc coupe's. Almost every girl in the pin up contest with me were talking about how they wanted one. Maybe it might be because it's a car they see a lot of at shows and haven't broadened their knowledge beyond that car. I was once that girl. I also didn't think girls can wrench but I have learned that is false because I actually can do these things and its fun! :D Now that I own a Caddy, I love it and I couldn't part with it. I don't know why I ever wanted a Ford. It makes it even more special to me that I am putting in all the work to fix her up and put her on the road again. Is it strange to say that I feel like I have bonded with the car? :D

17. Torchie

Torchie

All of this reminds me of the 60 Chevy build my daughter and I did when she was 19. You are doing great.
    I never really cared for the "shoe box" Fords way back when and I still don't. Unless they are totaly customized.(There. I said it out loud).
    It is very natural to bond with your project. Why do you think that so many people name ther cars and boats. What have you named your car?
    The best part of this build so far to me is the fact that you now realize that you can do something that before you thought impossible. I raised 2 daughters and both of them can turn a wrench better than most men.
    Keep at it and have fun!
    Torchie.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  18. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

It's been a slow process. I have been a little discouraged and busy with life but I'm back on track to working on the Caddy. (The Sins of Steel Traditional Car Show in Davisburg, MI made me feel re-inspired) I really want to start on the fun repair work. I feel like its an endless cleaning cycle and labeling everything has made working on it feel so slow to me. On the plus side, there is no more mouse smell, the interior is 100% taken apart, cleaning is done for now, and its ready for repairs. I will begin on the floors and then work on the firewall perhaps? You can see the firewall in the pictures from the engine compartment side and the interior side. Someone cut the firewall for some reason before I bought the car and it will need to be fixed. I took a picture of my gauge cluster and dash. I have discovered a great use for masking tape. I taped numbers to the wires and taped the corresponding slot for various stuff in the dash to make putting it all together easier. I also taped all the parts and pieces I removed from the interior and labeled them as well. That is what took me so long to take out the interior. But I have to say its very organized looking. I just hope my plan worked and when I put it together again it will be a breeze. :D

Attached Files:

19. sololobo

sololobo

super score bro, that is uber cool. ~sololobo~

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You'd be wise to put in a new wiring harness...mice like to eat wire covering...and who knows where in the car they've chewed it bare and it'll short out once you put electicity to it...

As for the firewall...IF you're not planning on keeping all the original heater stuff, you can seal up those vents and remove the firewall bubbles and make the firewall flat - see my '55 Cadillac build to read how to do it. Looks like someone wanted the toe board out of the car but it became too much work to cut it out, it'll weld back together if you straighten it out-take care of that when you put in new floor pans.

If you have any questions, just PM me...I'll help...

R-

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I sold my Caddy and bought a Shoebox Ford..... And a Model T. I wanted another hot rod and I got it in my T. By now, I've had 3 Shoeboxes. I kinda like em. The Caddy was cool but just not me.

22. nice car worked on by a cutie girl.....what a sight for the neighbors :)

23. Just saw this thread and subscribed. $1350 for this? You stole it! Nice score!

24. I like the way you organized everything. I'm new to this car thing too and I think I'll take that idea when I start taking apart the small salvageable parts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

Thank you. :)

26. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Don't stop, I'll be a blast!

27. grease4life

grease4life

Dam Girl you drove in head first! You will be glad you are taking the time to organize. There are so many different screws and thread types, lengths, etc.. It's great to replace everything you can afford to, but it does get overwhelming and you will be happy that your are saving and labeling. I must have 100's of zip lock baggies with notes and parts in each. Best of luck and stick with it.
    I did the disk brakes on mine and am very happy with how every thing is turning out. I can't say anything about your choice in engine since I went modern myself, but rebuilding original is much easier... You can see details of what it took me to do my swap and things you may be in for here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593245

28. Anyone can drive a Ford,...in a Caddy you go places :)

I appreciate almost all makes (sorry Geo) however there is definitely something special about a Caddy. Nice score and good luck with the rebuild.

29. Keep at it. Don't let the whole "girl" thing wreck your mojo. My Mom was a Tech Sgt in the Womans Air Corp back in the 40's and 50's repairing airplanes. SHE is the one that taught me the basics of what I know now. I am passing the torch to my 4 1/2 year old granddaughter me and my wife are raising
    [​IMG]

30. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska