Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yet a little more driveshaft angle learned

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, May 22, 2013.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I know this isn't year correct, but still applys to lowered cars. My 2001 Ford Ranger was develeping a driveshaft noise on deceleration. Thought it was a U-joint. Checked under the truck & seen that the rear shackles brackets had rusted & the springs were resting on the frame. Replaced the OEM tin foil ones with some Dorman steel ones & the noise went away. Those rusted bracket changed the pinion angle enough to cause a problem. My lowered Merc has that same noise when getting off the gas. Guess I'll have to bring the plnion angle down a little.

2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

What was the "noise" ? Deep rumble or boom?

3. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Rumble or grrrr.

4. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

[QUOTE My lowered Merc has that same noise when getting off the gas. Guess I'll have to bring the plnion angle down a little.[/QUOTE]

Dontcha mean up a little. Pinion drops when gettin' off the gas.

5. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I did try moving it up & then I got a vibration at around 60 mph. Had the car sitting on 4 ramps & have 2* at the tail shaft of the trans & 2* up at the rear diff. yoke now. Still grows at me when getting off the gas. Not really loud, but it's still there.

6. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

What type of suspension?
    Coils, leafs??

7. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Not saying it is anything else but wanted to mention that sometimes when you let off of the gas and the rear has a noise or grrr... it is a sign that the ring and pinion are wearing or not meshing correctly any longer.

Just saying

8. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

bobby socks, even thou I didn't want to hear that problem I'll check it out.

9. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

the pinion angle should be the same as the transmission

10. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

When I give my daily driver gas from a dead stop I feel the rear gears bind a bit and feel it in the floor and seat of my pants. the gear case fluid is at normal level so as stated before my ring and pinoin may not be meshed together as they should? only does it when i goose it.

11. Check your rear end bearings for wear. Steve