Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it a highboy or high boy or what...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model Man, May 21, 2013.

1. Model Man

Model Man
    from Georgia

Now I've been around these old hot rods for about fifty years now and I should know this by now but since y'all are not too hard on potentially dumb questions, here it is...a highboy (or is it high boy) is typically a fenderless car that was born with fenders. But I was once told it got that name because it sat high on the frame so is a channelled fenderless car still considered a high boy? If not, does it have another name?

2. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Hiboy ,miss spelling of High Body in Hot Rod mag many moons ago.

Channelled car = Lowboy

3. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

A channeled car I call a loboy. And another variation of high boy is hiboy.

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

hiboy/highboy - body mounted on top of frame. Loboy/Lowboy - body channeled. Hotboy/Hautboy - an oboe.

dj

5. Hiboy,,it's traditional! HRP

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeaaaah....hiboy, loboy...Common terms but they wear on my nerves just a bit for some reason.
    I have no idea why!

I will use them when the subject is brought up by someone else, but I'm more comfortable just saying fenderless or channelled etc when I'm describing those styles of car.

I wonder around what year the Hiboy/Loboy terms were first used?

7. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Did some one say Hiboy?

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

somehow, the term 'hiboy' brings to mind a nice fit-looking fellow with one hand on his hip and a come-hither glance waving to a sailor: "Hi Boy!!!"

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

always been hiboy to me

10. I'd imagine it was in the early thirties, right around the time someone took the fenders and aprons off. The neighbors said " golly that's high boy"

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm absolutely positive it's not "what".

12. im 43 ive allways heard them called hiboys

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Who gives a shit? I get saved so may times by my automatic spell check. I have to ignore it often for my hot rod terms that are not recognized. Y'all know what I'm taking about. If my spelling bothers you than you can kiss my ass.:D

14. You can't tell if you "HEAR" Hi boy Hiboy Highboy or high boy.

15. Hackerbuilt,
    I have not heard a channeled car called a loboy in a coon's age (that may or may not be PC ;)).

I think that bot terms have been way overused over they years. Probably good to use when describing a car that is currently unseen, but if you can see it no reason to use the descriptive term at all. It is like seeing a brood of geese crossing the road and pointing and saying gosling.

16. well, excuse the hell out of me

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The reason for the highboy look in California while the eastern and midwestern cars were channelled....

Racing rules for the dry lakes and Bonneville allowed running "stripped" of fenders, running boards, bumpers, tops etc but the body had to be "unaltered in height width and contour". Channeled cars bumped up a class into streamliner and modified territory. Even rodders who never went to the lakes, wanted to look like they did.