Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oklahoma tornado victims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cutlass_supreme71, May 21, 2013.

1. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

I am in Oklahoma. Thank God my family was not touched by the storms, but many many people lost their homes, and some unfortunately lost their lives. I am wondering if my fellow HAMBers would be interested in taking up a collection for the victims. I could facilitate this and through my church we could get the funds to the red cross or a local church to distribute as needed to the victims. If anyone would be interested in the let me know and I'll give you my paypal address or mailing address to send the funds or supplies to.

Thanks
    Shane

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. That stuff is headed your way Shane, have a battery radio with and be aware!

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

My Daughter, my Wife, myself and my Son in law are collecting everything possible this week and are heading down to Moore Saturday from Ks with two truck and trailers to bring all we can. Lippy

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I'm going back to Granbury, TX where I grew up next week to help out with damage there. More elbow grease than anything. We're stopping in Moore to meet up with my cousin to help out as much as we can. I can't afford to spend money on things people need but I can sure pick up trash and move stuff.

5. wagonwheel

wagonwheel

If I lived nearby I would drop whatever my job was and go lend a hand
    If I had money for a plane ticket id just go

6. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

I wish I could go help, but since work won't let me off then the next best thing i can do is collect funds or supplies to send down there with the supplies my church sends.

7. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Funny my post about the tornado in Oklahoma was removed.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

no offense but I can call the red cross direct. Not that I don't trust strangers on the internet....but
    I don't donate to phone solicitations either. I call the charity that I want to help. I hope a bunch of people call.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  9. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

No offense taken. I understand there are some crappy people out there today who would misuse a time like this. I appreciate that you're willing to do anything or even talk about it. .. I've had absolutely no response in the form of any donations... but maybe people are helping through another Avenue. I know there are plenty of ways to help for everyone.

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No offense, but I donated to Red Cross through my company and they matched dollar for dollar, so you might not see $ for different reasons.

11. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Shane, asking the HAMB community to trust a new member with less that 20 posts is really not a good idea. The HAMB is not immune to scammers, and at a time that the media is warning everyone every 5 minutes not to do what you are asking, it's just too much to ask.
    Best of luck to you and your church with helping those in need.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree totally. If anyone wants to help, it's easy, safer and better to contact the aid agencies in the area directly and donate to them.

The scammers will be all over this trying to skim off what they can from good people wishing to help.

Scumbags that they are.

13. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Yep, don't fall for the pay pal tricksters...

14. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

See I would understand if I started a new account the day i started this thread. I'm not a super new member i'm just not online much. I just figured I know the hot rod community is a tight knit community always up for lending a helping hand. I just wanted to give an outlet to help. I wanted to go help with the cleanup, but my work won't let me off, so I figured taking donations to help was my next best bet. I grew up in the Church of Christ. I'm an Eagle Scout. Furthermore, I'm one of the few who still believe a handshake matters. I would not dream of scamming someone. There is a special place in hell for the people who scam others ESPECIALLY in a time like this. I don't have many posts because I'm not online much. I spend most of my time either working, with my family, volunteering for different community projects, or in the garage.

15. raidmagic

raidmagic

I like your thought Shane and I agree with others concerns but what they are worried about with you is what is happening with the big charities. There was over 100 million donated to Haiti through the Red Cross and there are still people living there with tarps for houses and nothing else. Don't buy into the big guys either.

16. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I'd like to send some money to a local group to help , but how do I find out who they are and where to donate. I don't think you can go wrong with the Salvation Army though.

17. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

I will get you information on the local church of Christ that is organizing the recovery and clean up effort.

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Anyone can donate directly,WHY do they need you to do it for them? We aint that dumb.

19. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

not suggesting anyone is dumb. I was just trying to help. The fact that some of you are suggesting or in your case out right calling me a scammer or thief is hurtful. I tried to do something helpful and you all have turned it into a vile accusation.

20. yruhot

yruhot

Shane, they got telethone type collections here on the tv with the Red cross and all donations recieved go to the Oklahoma tragedy. I admire you willingness to help others there but in this day and age one can't be to careful. Don't take it personally. We just hate to get burned by scammers when there are so many legit ways to go. Not saying you aren't legit. But thanks for all you are doing for thos folks. I've got friends in the middle of that mess and were spared. God Bless you Shane. AS far as Hatti goes I'm surprised they got tarps from that crooked bunch down there. YRUHOT.....Doug

21. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Where did I say that? Dont put words in my mouth. I did ask you a question, you didnt answer that.

Why paypal you , so you can give it to red cross? Im confused.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You need to grow up and stop making things all about you.

The fact is there are far too many dishonest people out there.

No one has come out and said that you are one of them.

Stop whining and actually get out there personally and help.

23. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I'm actually Going to help out down there, if you would pay for my gas and load my car full of toilet paper and water and food than be my guest. But never will I personally give any funds to an individual that isn't directly connected to a fire department, local car club, or family in need. Otherwise your feeding someone else's mouth before the help gets to where it needs to be, not saying you or anyone else is a scam but most of us on this site are not naive.

24. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Went to K Mart last night and filled a cart with water, canned goods, paper supplies, cereal, etc. and took it across the street to an Art Vans (furniture) store that was taking donations to ship to Moore. There's lots of ways to help, and I think the OP was just offering another way.

25. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

I'm not trying to make things about me. I wanted this all to be about helping the victims in Shawnee and Moore areas. I don't mind how you all donate or help out. I offered my assistance to facilitate this because I am close geographically to the victims and am working directly with my church to assist. We have been working with Samaritan's Purse and many of the locals churches in those cities to help. We've already sent a lot of supplies to the Church of Christ in Moore. Those supplies were sent down there the first and second day following.
    Samaritan's Purse is assisting with relief efforts in the Shawnee/Bethel/Meeker areas. Headquarters is set up at Family of Faith in Shawnee located at 30 Kin-ville. You can call 405 273-5331 for information. We're taking any volunteers for clean up. It is not a supplies distribution, but if you want to bring water, Gatorade, or food, please call the number.

You can call 405 273-5331 to find out info on how to help Shawnee with their clean up efforts. Furthermore, I got this in response to the email I sent to the Church in Moore
    "Disaster Assistance Mission-Central Church of Christ-Moore OK Tornado- I just ordered enough supplies to serve 9000 meals this weekend (Fri-Sat-Sun). That is a very big undertaking please keep us and everyone in your prayers. Volunteer and... donation information on web site www.disasterassistancecoc.com please share this with all your contacts. Also with the large number of volunteers we have coming, I have ordered a 6 unit shower trailer coming Sunday plus the two at the church give us 8 showers. "

I have received information from a couple people who are coming in from out of state to help with the effort... Thank you all for the positive responses. May God warm the cold and hardened hearts in the group and help you know that not everyone offering a helping hand is a wolf in sheep's clothing.